Lcd Static Resolution?

CyberAxe

just wondering if the lcd is statically set at 320x240 or if you can set other resolutions to it like a normal monitor and then resize the picture

just wondering because if it was possible to change the resolution and then resize the picture like how you can do via video card settings or monitor settings (if you know what i mean)

we would be able to have better full screen emulation which wouldnt have horribly stretched pixels and would use less cpu power plus games that are larger than the vertical height could be shrunk aswell

CyberAxe posted on Feb 6 2006 at 04:27 AM said:
just wondering if the lcd is statically set at 320x240 or if you can set other resolutions to it like a normal monitor and then resize the picture

just wondering because if it was possible to change the resolution and then resize the picture like how you can do via video card settings or monitor settings (if you know what i mean)

we would be able to have better full screen emulation which wouldnt have horribly stretched pixels and would use less cpu power plus games that are larger than the vertical height could be shrunk aswell

An LCD is a fixed pixel display. It is 320 x 240 and that is it. You either do 1:1 and sometimes get borders or you stretch and get the ugly stretched pixels.

You can change resolution on CRTs because they have no set pixels. Changing the scan rate changes the pixel size.

Last edited by a moderator:
while physically changing the number of pixels in the lcd really isn't possible, I believe it's mentioned in the specs that the gp2x can run at other resolutions than just the hard screen resolution. specifically 720x480

but I'm not really sure how far the 'system resolution' of 720x480 goes--if it's tv-out only, or not.
this is kind of an odd direction for an LCD to go in, but I've heard it mentioned on this forum before: are we actually interlaced, or do we just have an odd refresh issue? Interlace is not generally an LCD thing, but who exactly knows how gph is choosing to do business? Is our lcd being driven by a pure digital rgb signal or is everything getting the 'magic' of analog through a system built for the TV-out? maybe a lot of stuff (especially from gph) is at 720x480 and being crammed into a 320x240 screen by mind-shattering, interlaced flicker. It would then be very odd that not everything would be working on the TV-out if this were the case, so it probably isn't. For whatever its worth the desktop images are 320x240, so that also seems to run counter to my crazy assumption.

I would like to know a lot more about where that lcd gets its data from. and a lot more about this mysterious hardware scaler--sounds like it could be an analog device. ...gamepark knows how handhelds are designed...I hope. But are we closer to a Gameboy, or closer to a Nomad?

and aside from all this, there is also subpixel rendering. but that's a whole new mess to get into.

320x240 is the standard resolution and the resolution of the LCD. The hardware can do any horizontal resolution based on a scaling value of "Ratio * 1024". The default is 1. To scale down, use a number greater than 1. This is a Coarse Scale function using Data Skip or duplication, not a Filter. Vertical scaling is the same, but uses the BPP and pixel count instead of 1024.

Back