Lcd Hd Tv's

This is completely off topic but,

Theres some dust now built up on my TFT pc screen and some dirt from something, and it wont just come off by blowing on it, seeing as the screen is all "squidgey", is it safe to wipe it off?

Vimacs posted on Dec 24 2006 at 02:51 PM said:
i switched from crt to tft as well some time ago, well in bright scnes it looks realy nice, better then my tft, but oh my god does it look bad at movies in night scenes you just wont get a proper black on tft.
So a tft for gaming is ok, but i wouldnt want one for movies.

Thats why Im going Plasma ;) Near perfect Black :) (Where as LCD is a sort of Dark Grey)

Plus I use my HP W19 for Gaming and the results are Amazing I like it more than my CRT. I guess its some people like them and some dont :)

Any way, 42" LG Plasma £1300 down to £809 ;) Seems a good deal to me :)

Last edited by a moderator:
sam fisher posted on Dec 24 2006 at 05:48 PM said:

Theres some dust now built up on my TFT pc screen and some dirt from something, and it wont just come off by blowing on it, seeing as the screen is all "squidgey", is it safe to wipe it off?
yes, but only use special tft cleaner as normal stuff would attack the plastic.

sam fisher posted on Dec 24 2006 at 04:48 PM said:

I'm not sure how hard you have to press to do the damage people claim is possible but i've always been pretty rough with my LCDs and i've never had a problem, this includes once falling onto the laptop screen when I left it on my bed - no damage.

I just clean it with water usually. They are tougher than some people will have you believe.

craigix posted on Dec 24 2006 at 09:20 PM said:
sam fisher posted on Dec 24 2006 at 04:48 PM said:

I'm not sure how hard you have to press to do the damage people claim is possible but i've always been pretty rough with my LCDs and i've never had a problem, this includes once falling onto the laptop screen when I left it on my bed - no damage.

I just clean it with water usually. They are tougher than some people will have you believe.
I've always been told "NEVER TOUCHEY SCREENEY!" or something along those lines, which is why I ask. I guess as long as I don't press hard it'll be fine.

as long as you use the special chemicals its ok... Using the incorrect chemical to clean it can react with the plastic and damage it...

Just ordered a 42" LG Plasma. Arrives on Saturday cant wait :D

Apparently the 360 is AMAZING on it!!!! :D :D :D

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Dec 24 2006 at 02:48 PM said:
Yes, but if you're gaming, and there's a bar or something at the top and bottom, and you're gaming for a few hours, it certainly isnt good :(

Electronic reps are always telling people to stay away from plasmas for gaming purposes.
Yeah, I can understand Steve-O downplaying the negative side of Plasma screens (considering he just bought one) but I wouldn't want to have a ticking time bomb in that my TV could become irreparably damaged the moment something is kept on the screen for too long.

Modern projectors somewhat mitigate the issue by shifting the entire image very slowly in a circular direction; perhaps plasmas also use this technique.

Rico posted on Dec 24 2006 at 07:42 PM said:
daclassicgamingmaster posted on Dec 24 2006 at 02:48 PM said:
Yes, but if you're gaming, and there's a bar or something at the top and bottom, and you're gaming for a few hours, it certainly isnt good :(

Electronic reps are always telling people to stay away from plasmas for gaming purposes.
Yeah, I can understand Steve-O downplaying the negative side of Plasma screens (considering he just bought one) but I wouldn't want to have a ticking time bomb in that my TV could become irreparably damaged the moment something is kept on the screen for too long.

Modern projectors somewhat mitigate the issue by shifting the entire image very slowly in a circular direction; perhaps plasmas also use this technique.
Exactly the reason why I opted for LCD over plasma. I wouldnt want to run the risk of wasting two thousand dollars either.

been reading all the sites and it says Plasma screens have came a long way now since they were first released and burn in is now over exaggerated (It can still happen but takes 6 - 8 hours!!) Even if it does happen most TV's now have a feature to erase it or something :)

ANyway, the Plasma will be here Saturday so will let you know what its like :)

ive got a 32 inch LG got it like the beggining of the year sometime or somethin. Cost me £999 so i feel a bit crap that you can get probably the same one but bigger for less price ! :angry: :p

Well after 6 months of researching and trawling through the two biggest AV forums in the UK and USA for a 1080p LCD there are only two LCD sets that got recommended time and time again are the Sharp XD1E and the Sony X series in terms of PQ.

Personally i prefered the Sharp in terms of Picture Quality and will be getting a 46inch version in the Sales, Sony X and Sharp about on a par not much in it sharp just offers a lot better value for money and doesnt't have the X series having a stupidly big surround.

skysnapper posted on Dec 25 2006 at 01:44 PM said:
Well after 6 months of researching and trawling through the two biggest AV forums in the UK and USA for a 1080p LCD there are only two LCD sets that got recommended time and time again are the Sharp XD1E and the Sony X series in terms of PQ.

Personally i prefered the Sharp in terms of Picture Quality and will be getting a 46inch version in the Sales, Sony X and Sharp about on a par not much in it sharp just offers a lot better value for money and doesnt't have the X series having a stupidly big surround.
Get the same Samsung 40" 1080P LCD I have. It's quite excellent, an I believe they offer a 46" version too

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Dec 25 2006 at 06:46 PM said:
skysnapper posted on Dec 25 2006 at 01:44 PM said:

Get the same Samsung 40" 1080P LCD I have. It's quite excellent, an I believe they offer a 46" version too

Im afraid samsung pales in comarison to the above two mentioned sets..

The Sharp has the best blacks on an LCD almost comaprable to plasma, seen plasmas next to it and the blacks were just as good.. this has been a fault with LCDs in the past, the blacks have never been true black till now.. The colours were more natural, Samsung colours tend to be overly vibrant and artificial looking

And the samsungs sets worse fault is they overscan the picture!! so you won't get true 1:1 mapping.. Not much good if you want to set it up to an HTPC.

After having been and seen that many shops and looked at that many screens i know the 46 sharp is for me :)

The thing with plasmas is that in darker areas you have a sort of moving dither pattern instead if actual pure colors. You can see this real bad in dark sky scenes etc. Since many games are dark that would bother me.

I have a Sony Bravia XBR 32" and sit kind of close so it isn't too small. It is only a 720P set but that is kind of an advantage if it is mainly a gaming monitor. Since all Xbox 360 games are 720p and most PS3 games are 720p a 1080 set gives no advantage for games. With the 360 you can input VGA to this TV (and many others that have PC inputs) and do a true 1:1 pixel mapping and it is the sharpest picture ever, like a computer monitor. Of course 1080 sets will have to scale all games so it won't be as sharp due to the filter.

Back