Wanna Buy A Plasma

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Sep 13 2006 at 03:14 PM said:
here we go, answers!

yep, 40" is MOST likely going to be the size. I've dealt with comcast briefly and had a few questions answered as well. Seems they do offer HDTV broadcasts, but as you stated I need a receiver. That's fine I suppose.

I'll be able to watch non-HD television too, right? Im sure that's a yes, but ill confirm.

Headed over to best buy soon. I'll hopefully have a choice by later today and I'll post it.

Finally, my bootleg dvds wont look nice on this new TV, right? Will they be watchable, or a complete abomination of pixels and snow? Curious about that.
:p

I would still recommend an LCD at that size. HDTV receivers are usually the same install/monthly price as cable boxes, unless they throw in DVR capability.

Yes. EDIT: Yes, with an "as long as". As long as your HD service offers it, or as long as you have a cable input (coaxial) on the back of the TV.

Okay, I'm in the market for one as well, although smaller (money doesn't grow on trees you know :D).

They'll look acceptable. Better than cable/ota television, which itself I find quite watchable. 480 lines to 720 lines isn't that much of a difference. Just look for a television that has a good analog up-converter; ask if you can watch a standard DVD on the TV you want to buy -- it will give you a pretty good idea of what "normal" television will look like.

Last edited by a moderator:
but what about the burned dvds i have? I heard from this gay computer teacher in my old school (feels so good to call it my old school :D ) that dvd shrinked dvds wont look good on hDtvs....I dont know what thats supposed to mean. Are they watchable? Will you be watching it and saying "damn that picture is awful"?

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Sep 13 2006 at 04:31 PM said:
but what about the burned dvds i have? I heard from this gay computer teacher in my old school (feels so good to call it my old school :D ) that dvd shrinked dvds wont look good on hDtvs....I dont know what thats supposed to mean. Are they watchable? Will you be watching it and saying "damn that picture is awful"?
It should be fine. And if it's not, who cares? Is that really going to stop you from buying a new TV? I believe you would still have your old TV and your computer laying around...

iignotus posted on Sep 13 2006 at 04:46 PM said:
daclassicgamingmaster posted on Sep 13 2006 at 04:31 PM said:
It should be fine. And if it's not, who cares? Is that really going to stop you from buying a new TV? I believe you would still have your old TV and your computer laying around...
oh no doubt. I was just wondering as the new TV would replace my current toshiba 24 incher. Id still have it and the other TVs that I have now. Anyway, I went over to Best Buy and found my new tele :D. Here it is:

samsung.jpg

Samsung HDTV LCD model LNS4051D. Has an integrated atsc tuner, 8ms response time, 500 cd/m2 brightness, 4000:1 contrast ratio, and a 170-degree viewing angle. Picture seemed great and the price was right. Ill be picking this up in early december when I move.

Price from Best Buy: 2,099 USD

Price on amazon.com: 1,710 USD, free shipping and I dont think any tax...Will be buying from them ;)

Plus I may catch a holiday sale. Sounds good to me.

iignotus posted on Sep 14 2006 at 02:17 PM said:
daclassicgamingmaster posted on Sep 14 2006 at 10:31 AM said:
Nova posted on Sep 14 2006 at 03:34 AM said:
Lucky sod.
graduation money :p
Lucky sod! I only got $400 for graduation :angry:
....then I guess I shouldnt say I got 10 times that amount :unsure:

:p But seriously, some of it was payment back for borrowed money over the past 7 months or so. Until we sold this house we werent in the best of financial shape ;). We ended up selling this for top dollar (although that IS an understatement :D ), so my mother is giving me some money for everything. I havent gotten any allowance in months, nor was I allowed to work since I had to take trips with her down to atlanta to find a house, pack, etc. So in actuality, the money im getting is kind of everything snowballed into one with graduation money included :)

Im also guessing that that $400 you got was from other family members combined? If so, keep in mind I only have my mother, everyone else is dead. yes, im a special case :p

Now....I read some reviews on amazon.com, and I need to know what kind of accessories I'll need. I hear of HDMI cables getting quite pricey. Will I definitly need 2 of those for the 2 ports this TV has? If so, whats a good brand to get that isnt TOO expensive, but does the job just fine? I also hear of things I can get to reduce interference such as a Monster brand surge. I have no idea about those things, anything cheaper? What else will I need to get the wbest picture possible?

Not too sure what cables you'll need as that can all come down to what extra hardware you end up using with it.

You will probably find that original DVD's don't look any worse (probably a little better) than what they do on your tv now. Copied films will simply depend on the quality that you download them at.

The tv in my front room is about 32" & pretty high quality, but not HD. Copied films & even the 2x look quite bad on this. I tested out a 43" HDTV about a month ago & the results were a lot better with both.
The HD's will allow you to get the best picture possible from your older equipment. You might see snowy pictures when trying to watch a video tape, but anything else should be fine.

Here's some photo's of my 2x running on the 43" HDTV. These might have lost a little detail when uploading to Flickr, but they should give you some idea of what quality to expect.

Hope they help :)

One piece of advice I forgot to give you..
Most of these HDTV's have a seperate box for connecting external audio & video equipment to them. If you have to pay a little extra to get a good quality one with front connection ports, then do it. The one thing that my brother inlaw told me after he'd bought the 43" one, was that he was very glad he paid out the extra money for it.

hey dcgm
dunon if u know or not
but the new samsung N series is comming out soon.
you should wait for that series, well just because its new and probably better

Back