Lcd Hd Tv's

Steve-O

Im looking at getting a HD LCD TV but dont know which brand to go for.. I have herd that LG and Samsung are the best, Is this true?

Oh yea, Size will be around 32" - 42"

dont get a tft, apart from the size they only have bad points.
Get a good crt, way better image, way better black, and they also last way longer.

I think he's talking about just a regular TV, not a monitor. If he were describing a monitor, I'd agree for all the same reasons. And the fact that CRTs allow for actually changing the resolution.

im talking about tv as well, and crt are better EXPECIALY at tv's, cause you are not dealing with a fixe res all the time like you do on the tv, nearly all tft's do scaling on all standard hdtv and sdtv resolutions cause they use panels that don't match any of them.
A crt hdtv doesn't have to do any scaling, it can just switch its res.

ive just done the same thing, ended up going for a samsung 32" job after fairly extensive research. The model number is Samsung LE32R73BD. I ordered online from dixons and used the two promotional codes below, knocking the price down from 690 to 570 delivered, which I was fairly pleased about.

218711DIX
40XMAS

I hear good things about the 32" toshiba too.

I cannot recommend the TV I have enough. I bought a Samsung 40" LCD HDTV, and it arrived about a week and a half ago. I've been playing my wii (zelda, through components of course), and watching both basic cable, as well as the HD channels Comcast provides. It's a fantastic set, at an absolute fantastic price.

It supports 1080p as well :)

Normally through B&M stores you'll pay close to 2500 USD and up, but through amazon.com (more like amazing.com, actually :D ), I saved approx. 700 USD. The total price was $1,810 shipped.

Check it out here

I'm dead serious, this is a fantastic set! And the price is unbeatable for a 40", 1080p samsung :D

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Dec 23 2006 at 03:44 PM said:
I cannot recommend the TV I have enough. I bought a Samsung 40" LCD HDTV, and it arrived about a week and a half ago. I've been playing my wii (zelda, through components of course), and watching both basic cable, as well as the HD channels Comcast provides. It's a fantastic set, at an absolute fantastic price.

It supports 1080p as well :)

Normally through B&M stores you'll pay close to 2500 USD and up, but through amazon.com (more like amazing.com, actually :D ), I saved approx. 700 USD. The total price was $1,810 shipped.

Check it out here

I'm dead serious, this is a fantastic set! And the price is unbeatable for a 40", 1080p samsung :D

I also have a Samsung HD telly, though mine is a 32". I got it from argos for £750 with a free DVD recorder, worth 135 quid on it's own. Seemed like a great deal to me, and the telly is amazing, well worth the cash.

Last edited by a moderator:
hhmm, Might be going Plasma now as I can get a 42" HD LG for £800 Online (Or £1,199 in store!)!!!

Vimacs LCD and Plasmas Last long as well... 30,000 - 60,000 hours which means if its used for 4 hours a day it will last around 21 - 42 years which is long enough ;)

I think what Vimacs means by CRT is projection, the ones with a tube in the back that project up to a flat screen in the front.

no, im talking crt.
Personally i would buy one out of the Samsung slimfit series, they have a very nice image and are less deep then traditional tv's.
They dont seem to have the same models in us as in de, but this one looks good.
http://samsung.com/Products/TV/SlimFitHDTV/TXS3082WHXXAA.asp
And the good thing is that you get them cheaper then good tft's now with all the tft hype.

Vimacs posted on Dec 23 2006 at 10:20 PM said:
no, im talking crt.
Personally i would buy one out of the Samsung slimfit series, they have a very nice image and are less deep then traditional tv's.
They dont seem to have the same models in us as in de, but this one looks good.
http://samsung.com/Products/TV/SlimFitHDTV/TXS3082WHXXAA.asp
And the good thing is that you get them cheaper then good tft's now with all the tft hype.

i think thats the tv i was close to getting a few months ago but theres not many people i know of who were very happy with it, main problems with samsungs crt hd tv's is bad geometry issues, so when a grid is displayed on the screen the image is warped at each end of the screen, although the other day on some forum or other someone had some remote hack to get into all the hidden settings, apparently through these settings you can sort the geometry out.

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Dec 23 2006 at 09:17 PM said:
Plasmas are more apt to get burn-in, which is why I chose lcd over it.

Burn in only Occurs with Still images left on the screen for a long time. This screen will be turned off when not in use so I dont need to worry about that :) Plus LGs technology has greatly reduced the chance of burn in.

Also, Vimacs, Plasmas star loosing quality at around 20,000 - 30,000 hours (LG currently has one running and its well past the 20,000 hours and has no quality loss...) Maybe Plasmas lost quality fast when first released but now they are more advanced.

All have their Advantages and Disadvantages but after seeing the quality of the LG Plasma in the shop I just have to buy one :D

I have just upgraded my PC monitor from a CRT to a 19" HP LCD and I cant beleive te difference... After going LCD with my Monitor I will never go back to CRT...

Yes, but if you're gaming, and there's a bar or something at the top and bottom, and you're gaming for a few hours, it certainly isnt good :(

Electronic reps are always telling people to stay away from plasmas for gaming purposes.

i switched from crt to tft as well some time ago, well in bright scnes it looks realy nice, better then my tft, but oh my god does it look bad at movies in night scenes you just wont get a proper black on tft.
So a tft for gaming is ok, but i wouldnt want one for movies.

I'm going to have to agree with vimacs and endorse CRTs. Sure they can be pretty big, but they're cost-effective, last long, handle loads of resolutions and are very efficient with all colours.

i here samsung dont like computers, no drivers or something

if LCD had been invented first, everyone would now be raving over CRT's ;)

Back