Lazy fixes for GP32 lighting problem...

generalnmx

Playful/Fascist Mod
Website
www.matts-hosting.com
I want to play my GP32 in the dark, and very dim lighting conditions. I've been muddling around with various ways to use GBA lights with the GP32, but each time I've come short, because the GP32 is bigger then the GBA, and it doesn't have a powered port that any of the devices could fit into. I finally found something which is a VERY lazy fix, but hey, it works.

Here's what it is - the Gamester Flood Light for GBA. Normally, this thing attaches over the GBA's screen and acts like a screen protector. However, I found by holding it to the back of the GP32 with the prongs sticking away, I could use two rubber bands on each of the top prongs to keep it in place. The rubber bands ride up inbetween the buttons and the edge of the screen's border (that little incline that goes to the actual screen itself), and down below the GP32.

What's very interesting about this setup is that the ONLY thing that is comprimised is the Battery Case (though the light itself may be bothersome to carry on while its still on the GP32). When I mean "compromised", I just mean the area is rendered unusable while it is strapped on - this won't hurt anything, if done correctly (make sure not to put it over the LCD screen!). Its not really that hard to put it on once you know what you're doing. Another good thing about this lazy fix is that the Gamester uses its own batteries, which is the reason its compatible (most other lights use the EXT port).

However, even with all of that said, I'm sure other people have had far more ingenious ideas then this. Feel free to post them here.

well, for the second time. i have used a gamester floodlight for my gp32 and am making a guide for it (but i have stopped for a while). i use velcro on it to help hold it ;)

Iv got a few methods to try b4 i bite the bullet and open the gp32 up and make my own lighting system. I am gonna use white LED and see what kinda result i get after i tryed all the other options im exploring.

I really hate external light sources so im gonna go for a inside 1 :)

:ph34r:

Velcro...hmm...my experiences with velcro is that, eventually, the pad and brissles will barely stick to each other. The Gamester Flood Light is pretty heavy...how long have you had this setup?

I'll wait for your guide before trying anything like that, because I am very wary of damaging my GP32, or doing something permenant to it that would come to no fruition.

This has been done for some time.

If you trim the part that frames the screen a little, you can see the entire screen (the GBA screen is smaller). I cut the tabs with buttons off the top. These tabs fit into holes in the GBA. I epoxyed bits of velcro to the top and bottom of the light, then used straps of velccro to hold it in place.

The light fits snug, but not tight. I have never managed to dislodge it, but YMMV.

I wish the hell the vaporish internal light kit would finally make an appearance.

i think it has been since about january. because whenever we go icefishing we are on the road foor abou 8 hrs and leave at 3 in the morning :mellow: , and i can't sleep in the car so what better to spend the time than with my gp32 :D

Back