Kensington lock

comradekingu

Glowing ember
Website
portfolio.anotheragency.no
Can anyone get the kensington lock to work? Goes about 1/3+ of the visible hole on the other side.
I took the chain off one to use it like ED did with the lanyard hanging from the neck with the Pandora.

It doesn't work on my case, gray one, I think early production. Will try the translucent one.

Can anyone get the kensington lock to work? Goes about 1/3+ of the visible hole on the other side.
I took the chain off one to use it like ED did with the lanyard hanging from the neck with the Pandora.

It doesn't work on my case, gray one, I think early production. Will try the translucent one.

You have a prototype then?

I do not think it was ever intended to be a Kensington lock port. Just a wrist lanyard strap. What are you talking about hanging it from someones neck?

Can anyone get the kensington lock to work?
I found one that would fit, but it can not "grab" because there is no inner groove. Same, as rygD, I use a big lanyard strap, and then put it around my neck as a necklace.
Well, not exactly, I can not close my pandora because I am afraid of the purple screen of death, so I put one corner inside the innerpocket of my coat, and then, to not loose it and pulling my ears off if it gets loose, I attach it for safety to my necklace.
In the summer I use a small backpack.

Last edited:
So you just loop around with the lanyard?
Sigh... you make it sound so dramatic. I think I can clarify with this image:
clip_pandora.jpg

So this way, the pandy could be clipped to, for example, the zipper of your coat. I sometimes use a elastic extension (similar to those you use for on your wallet; anti-steal device thing). sometimes I use my necklace to clip it on.

EDIT: Ah, maybe I did not understand you right. The way I "lock" my Pandora is by putting the kensington lock through the loop where your hand should go, then lock the kensington lock to a desktop computer (and the other side of the kensington wire loops around some metal things on the desk).
In theory, you can still cut the wire, but it still takes some effort. So use a metal (neck) strap for Camera's
The downside of the metal strap is that while operating the Pandora/Pyra it really makes some metal noise, and the cotton one is very lightweight, and still works fine to prevent sudden falls.
You also might want to check out the retractable metal wire rope keychain

Last edited:
I think this also fits in the Pyra Prototype Section, as they are expensive, so whe need a solution to save them from get lost..

Personally I find the Pandora/and also the Pyra too heavy to get used as a necklace, I prefer to put the Pyra/Pandora in my Pocket whit the zipper, if I don’t use it..

Can’t understand some Peaple who put there Smartphones on the Table in publik,
But maybe because I wear a pant whit lots of pockets, I have my Phone just on a place where it’s ditnt annoy whyle Sitting..

So some of the experience of the Pandora are also worth to take over to the Pyra ..

Ok Pics: So If we look at the black Pyra Prototype, we see a rectangular hole between the charging port and the audio port, just to the bottom.
If we look at a turned upside-down transparent Pyra, we can see that the edges inside the hole not bigger, but that they are rounded inside, similar to the Pandora (however, the pandora's holes are rectangular, and the underside is more oval).
The way to check is using the blunt part of the needle and gently poking inside the sides and see that they stay level.
You could solder through the plastic, from the inside, to add 2 holes on the innerside where the kensinton lock would protrude, without compromising strength (although, as you can see, you could get in the way of the audiojack connector (and it's not good to touch it with the metal of your lock).

source

Attachments

• pyra_kensintonlock2.jpg
    pyra_kensintonlock2.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 247
  • pyra_kensintonlock1.jpg
    pyra_kensintonlock1.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 245
The kensington locks I have have a T-bar which rotates and two pins that form a rectangular plug shape when unlocked to be inserted, which turns into a kind of cross shape in the hole when you rotate the T-bar. To be usable they require a circular void as tall as the lock is wide to turn in, although if you were really crushed on space you could fill in the bottom left and top right quadrants, as the lock turns clockwise to lock I think. I think to be actually secure you'd need to install a steel shim on the inside too.

I'd have thought a thin rope ideally with a steel braid looped through the hole would be more secure than any modification you could make to the plastics to be honest.

I'd have thought a thin rope ideally with a steel braid looped through the hole would be more secure than any modification you could make to the plastics to be honest.
I agree. And a sidenote: Metal braids wear out the plastic of the Pyra, so use it only on occassions, like in festivals.

Back