JXD S601 [DEVELOPING]

Meh, too much lag or distortion.

Maybe ifbit could run on YOUR jxd, you wouldn't say that :D

In fact it shows what new consoles can do, but people must not expect to play Onlive games at fullspeed on the S601. Also the screen is not multitouch so touchscreen games won't run well on it.

I did not try but I think we could use a pad to play some games.

wow!
Nice vid BAFelton, you got Onlive running on it, great job.

I ordered one of these too and preordered the Yinlips with A10 updated version, supposedly has a gaster cpu and gpu. Cang wait to get them,

@ BAFelton

Did you use the same program to root both devices? Which one?

I gave the link a few posts above ;)
if this is running of servers wheres the lag comming from?

I've been looking at either picking this or the YDP-G18 up, however from what I can tell neither of these devices have true analog on the analog nub. Also, it looks like there is a limit on the number of buttons that can be pressed simultaneously. Are these issues true? Are there any other design flaws I should be aware of before buying it? Finally, does anyone have any idea as to what prevents these issues from being fixed? Is Android 3.1 needed? Thanks in advance.

I've been looking at either picking this or the YDP-G18 up, however from what I can tell neither of these devices have true analog on the analog nub. Also, it looks like there is a limit on the number of buttons that can be pressed simultaneously. Are these issues true? Are there any other design flaws I should be aware of before buying it? Finally, does anyone have any idea as to what prevents these issues from being fixed? Is Android 3.1 needed? Thanks in advance.
The multiple button press is an issue with Yinlips but not the JXD. I suspect that the analogue is hardwired to replicate the D-pad and is not fixable on either device. I think these two devices are generating enough interest that other makers will follow. Maybe we will get a device wth true analogue, maybe even two.

Here is a vid i shot of Sonic 4 working with physical buttons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gzq5j8S1Vbs

Last edited by a moderator:
Change the nub to an analogue stick.

here's the challenge though, I'm not actually designing this, I have no money invested... JXD is, and they're not going to dump a whole lot of money in development into just one device. I'm really confident they do however want to work with me to get something out to the retro gaming community, that was my main spiel when I started talking to them about what demographics they're going for and what not, and I think that's the only reason they're paying attention to me. So what I'm going to have to do is to have them re-use stuff they have made before... just in the right combination that will work for us, not actually design anything new. They want cheap, and they want fast out the door. Little R&D dollars as possible.

also as an update it's too late for the S601, they're already moving forward with the original design and had been since I started talking to them, "too late to make any changes to the model now" but they're looking for ideas for the one after this one.
point taken

but these things which I want are possible easily without R&D.

1). keypad lock (present in old versions of jxd- needy when using it as mp3 player and it is in your pocket)

2). separate volume butons (nice to see them in s6100)

3). separate buttons for screen brightness( ala the PSP)

4). procedure to adjust screen brightness (missing in jxd 1000)

5). procedure to make "fullscreen" or "widescreen" in games or videoes and in settings.

6). if possible improve camera.( merely high interpolation does not work)

7). bluetooth (android supports it)

8). TV-in (do not know if possible or not but 3 years ago in models like jxd661, jxd990 etc. they provided this feature to record TV)

9). 2G SIM (to make phone calls and GPRS,EDGE)-this point seems distant as I am not sure if AMLOGIC supports it or not bcoz they use MTK solutions for this task.

can you point to thier development BBS forum?

1). keypad lock (present in old versions of jxd- needy when using it as mp3 player and it is in your pocket)

2). separate volume butons (nice to see them in s6100)

3). separate buttons for screen brightness( ala the PSP)

4). procedure to adjust screen brightness (missing in jxd 1000)

5). procedure to make "fullscreen" or "widescreen" in games or videoes and in settings.

1) the s601 has this, right next to the power button, a switch that locks all keys when in pocket

2) the s601 has this, on top near the shoulder buttons

3&4) no hardware buttons, but if you replace the main interface with one of the many launchers available for android, you can make a widget on the homescreen that adjusts to presets, and there are sliding adjustment apps that sit in your notification area.

5) all the emulators in android offer this option, different scaling options for widescreen stretch or standard tv resolution ratio 6:9 i think? TV out is still kinda wonky, but they're working on making that better.

6). if possible improve camera.( merely high interpolation does not work)

7). bluetooth (android supports it)

8). TV-in (do not know if possible or not but 3 years ago in models like jxd661, jxd990 etc. they provided this feature to record TV)

9). 2G SIM (to make phone calls and GPRS,EDGE)-this point seems distant as I am not sure if AMLOGIC supports it or not bcoz they use MTK solutions for this task.

can you point to thier development BBS forum?
6,7,8, & 9 would increase cost to a point they will probally not want to go, except for a bt module, sad to see they didn't include one of these in the S601

9) amlogic has chipsets that support 2/3g but the radio and transceiver hardware would add to the cost.

communication has been done through e-mail traffic between me and one of their managers, and that has pretty much stopped, they are very happy with the current sales of the S601 and it's keeping them plenty busy. Once I hear back I'll add your suggestions to the list.

thanks ANDROID and that thanks JXD for atleast listening(most companies do not even reply).

as for point-6 it is important. even substandard chinese phones (iphone and nokia clones) have better camera which sells under 100$. But as you say, it is their money invested, their own business model and their own reasons.

Wish they could understand that adding these will merely increase cost only10-15 US$. which is acceptable for 80$ product. And it will make the offer more desirable and irresistable.

they can even maintain 2 versions of same prosduct. higher end but costly with all facilities and lower end cheaper strip down model. some customers can choose. (They are masters at it adding to confusion with same model numbers. eg. are JXD 300 with 305x SOC and JXD 300 with 80xx SOC. gemei x760, x760+ old and new and x760+le versions.) (jxd tablet with capacitive screen or resistive screen) ( GOD! how do they differentiate? without change in model no.

I have so many complaints and suggestions , and no way to get them implemented, that i hate them.

BUT still I LOVE my Dingoo( dead now), gemei x760, jxd 300b, jxd v1000, gamecom etc. And will still buy from them.

if you want a clasic game console emulator with the main feature being stupid cheap, I'd strongly suggest either the JXD S601, or Yinlips YDP-G16, both have very similar performance for the price you really can't beat it. Software is as mature as the dingoo for that specific use case. The battery also holds out great 4-5 hours gameplay (real life) and instant on-standby I've gotten over a week from charger (real life).

For anything other than classic game emulation... I don't know.. there's problems with these that would make me not want to turn to these for media playing abilities. cameras, less than awesome touch screen, resolution etc etc... not an android thing.. just the form factor and hardware thing I guess.

yes, you are right. but that has to be changed. levels have to be increased. that is the way you progress?? right.

Leave America and Japan aside. take korea and finland companies example which have established themselves as known brands.

Jxd , yinlips, gemei ,nxp they do have potential. And it is the innovative feature of china back when it all had started.

example dual sim card, camera, FM, mobile TV.

chinese "no name" companies were the first in world to integrate all these features in one piece( i.e. mobile phone).

As far as i know (may be I am wrong), meither NOKIA, samsung or other brand has no even high end model with such features, when chinese phones were overloaded with features.

P.S- yes i will be happy for the time with s601, or ydpg18 and I will be buying one of those as soon as they are available in local market near my place.( not want to purchase online)

Back