Just Like To Say A Few Things

RSilvergun

Still Fresh
Website
rsilvergun.blogspot.com
*stands up from folding chair*

Hi, I'm RSilvergun and I'm a GP2X newbie :)

I got introduced to the GP2X by a friend who bought the PSP for the homebrew (shocking isn't it?) I previously owned a GBA SP which got stolen. I was looking around for something to replace it. I saw the GP2X but wasn't attracted at first (plus I didn't like the white prototype) At that time, the most likely candidate would've been a DS, only if Nintendo gave it a redesign similar to the GBA Micro (I'll still buy it if it happens :p)

So after some deliberation, I decided to get more information. I was referred to this forum from another forum (DCForums) and have been a stalker and reading posts now and then... So after sometime, I decided to order from Craigix of GBAX (though I'm currently a student in Montreal, Canada)... I was lured by the "Value Pack" and placed my order on 1st Nov.

Imagine my horror as I realised that people have been placing their orders since mid Sept :lol: I have been an early adopter with iRiver products so I kinda knew that I had to live with various possible problems... And so far, I've survived through news of delays, initial bugs, news of people cancelling preorders, recall of units, delays, et al

Finally, on today, 22 Dec (4 days after my birthday, 3 days to Christmas), I was awakened by the postman to sign for a parcel at 9am... 1 week and 1 day from my delivery notification email! Rechargeable batteries charged, table cleared and photos taken! (Might eventually upload them to my photoblog... seems like everybody's doing that eh?) I was meeting some friends in the clubroom (I'm the vice-president for the anime club at my university this year) so I rushed to slap in some mp3s, drMD and some roms and a newly downloaded episode of Paradise Kiss into the only SD card I have from my camera...

I was so happy to be playing around with it and showing it off while in the clubroom. Removed the film from the GP2X, put on the screen cover and then removed the film from the cover, plugged in the given batteries and voila! It works! :D

I'm very pleasantly surprised that the anime video worked perfectly without the need for reencoding (I was reading about how some people had slight problems) And Paradise Kiss is great for showing off the screen quality! (Though the subtitles are now a little too small to read) I'll also need to download the lcdtweaker to get rid of the wavy lines...

DrMD is (near)perfect! My issue is with the joystick, it doesn't feel as natural as a d-pad but... :rolleyes: oh well...

So now that I've recieved my GP2x, I'm very happy to join this community. All that's left for me to puschase now is a case, a screen protector and a 2GB SD card :)

Thank you Craigix and the staff at GBAX - you guys did great, even though I had to email before getting a confirmation email and thanks for the 2(?) usb card readers... though I'm using a laptop with a built-in reader :lol:

Thank you reesy - for the wonderful work on DrMD! All the wonderful memories I had on the Megadrive can now be relived while on my bed! :p

Thank you Guyfawkes - for the (much needed and appreciated) GP2x User Guide, which helps a lot better than the sparse manual from GPH...

Thank you to all the programmers working on or porting over games/utilities/applications to the GP2X, for helping to increase the functionality and library of the GP2X.

Welcome ... You may want to try some of the clever joystick mods done by a few of us ... also the stick becomes looser with time. I like it a lot.

Good, good, actually, its about time i place my order, ive been wondering arround for quite awhile, and foaming at the mouth at every new release in the past few days hehe :p. I was really waiting for the battery firmware updates, cause, well i hate swaping batteries.

man that was a nice read...

welcome to the clan, please dont let the other idiots turn u bitter :)
we are 85% a nice bunch

edit: ok ok 45%

Mr Doctor posted on Dec 23 2005 at 02:06 AM said:
Sorry RSilvergun, youre not getting into the spirit of this forum. Wheres the whine/bitch/moan in your post? You'll never fit in!

¬_¬

I'll take three of each of those please, and could i also have some self pity to wash it down?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back