Feel Like I'm Missing Something

whiskthecat posted on Aug 19 2006 at 07:46 PM said:
I might have misread but i didnt see you mention playing neogeo. :)

I don't actually own any neogeo games. ;) , so that's out. :D But I might be able to aquire some. I guess I missed that whole scene.

Internet went down (sand-storm :angry: ), so I've been trying to compile something and no help from the internet. No matter what I try to compile I always get the error:

[Linker error] undefined reference to `SDL_RWFromFile'

and several such errors with other things instead of 'SDL_RWFromFile'. What is this and what am I doing wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not try Fenix, I am starting to write in Fenix myself, so far it seems kewl.

Oh and Boolean isn't an integer, its value can be True, or False. That's all.

I also suggest that you start out with Fenix or Python/Pygame, then after you've got a couple of small games under your belt move on to C. :)

- Alex

michaeljustman posted on Aug 19 2006 at 07:45 PM said:
whiskthecat posted on Aug 19 2006 at 07:46 PM said:
I might have misread but i didnt see you mention playing neogeo. :)

I don't actually own any neogeo games. ;) , so that's out. :D But I might be able to aquire some. I guess I missed that whole scene.

Internet went down (sand-storm :angry: ), so I've been trying to compile something and no help from the internet. No matter what I try to compile I always get the error:

[Linker error] undefined reference to `SDL_RWFromFile'

and several such errors with other things instead of 'SDL_RWFromFile'. What is this and what am I doing wrong?
Add -lSDL to your linker line in whatever IDE you happen to be using.

BTW, I have the "C for dummies vol. 1" book (Not C++) and it sucks, it's as thick as my arm, and I could do more in BASIC than I learned to do in C. It's padded out with overly complicated explainations and "fun quizes", and the one time it actually needed a good explaination (writing the clearscreen function) it bottled out, and the code they gave didn't work for me. :(

I like Python, at the moment I'm trying to write a 3d engine from scratch in Python :p
(Although I have no clue how they're supposed to work, so it will probably end up really weird)

And I haven't even got a book yet :)

I also suggest Fenix. It has simple syntax, and is built from the ground-up to make games (and everybody knows these are the things that are most fun to program).

Python/Pygame is awesome, but the performance is not on-par with fenix ATM, because fenix is seriously optimized by Puck2099 and pygame was just a quick port (I think).

I'd really like to learn C++ because I'm in a computer field and I won't be taken serious unless I program in a "real" programming language, but Fenix and Python aren't out of the picture. I could learn them, I imagine.

I can't seem to get the Bloodshed Dev-C++ that was made to make GP2X apps to compile anything. It's really a bummer.

I tried adding -ISDL to the linker section for my project, but it still errors out, even with the demo program.

What am I doing wrong?

yaustar posted on Aug 20 2006 at 06:04 PM said:
Its -lSDL not -ISDL. ;)

I guess I proven my might when I comes to C++ programming. :rolleyes: May every problem that I have be a simple of a fix as this one proved to be. It compiles! Yay! :lol:

Curse the romans for making '1', 'l', and 'I', so alike. :p

michaeljustman posted on Aug 20 2006 at 03:16 PM said:
yaustar posted on Aug 20 2006 at 06:04 PM said:
Its -lSDL not -ISDL. ;)

I guess I proven my might when I comes to C++ programming. :rolleyes: May every problem that I have be a simple of a fix as this one proved to be. It compiles! Yay! :lol:

Curse the romans for making '1', 'l', and 'I', so alike. :p
endl is the bintiest part of c++ there ever was...

Surprised no one's mentioned The C Programming Language, by Kernighan & Ritchie. If you're looking to learn C (and already know the basics of how programming usually works), this is the book. Probably considered the most essential :)

for c++ the book i sued was C++ without fear by brian overland, great book, i also have c++, the complete reference by herbert schildt

Feel Like I'm Missing Something, What am I missing from the 2X experience?
I was feeling the same way and realised for me it was probably the lack of commercial games/software.. hopefully that will change someday.

wanna know what you're missing from the GP2X experience?

SD MONSTERPACKS!! Bwaahahaaha! These rock, to be honest .. especially since there's a vast cataract, nay flood, verily some form of deluge or spate of them out there on the 'net ..

Why do they rock? Unzip to SD, plug in SD, play. Zero futzing around, beyond the watery bit ..

Back