Just Got My Gp2x, First Impression (newbie ?'s)

Hohlraum

Still Fresh
the joystick kinda sucks :( they really should have used one of those nes style (+) pads. don't suppose the joystick is replaceable some how? another weird thing is that I downloaded 1945 and my system wouldn't finish booting. just sat there forever. i had to remove the sd card and boot up and then put the sd card back in to play.

newbie question. what are the xxxxx.gpe files? I tried executing it and it didn't work. I had to go into the 1945 folder and run the binary for it to run.

the gpe ARE the binaries...but sometimes they are scripts that run the binary. if you were able to pick 1945 from the regular file menu, then what you launched was in fact the gpe file.

I don't own one of these, so I don't know, but what's actually bad about the joystick? Is it over or under responsive? Or is it just too large or small? What?

Hohlraum posted on Feb 10 2006 at 12:20 PM said:
newbie question. what are the xxxxx.gpe files? I tried executing it and it didn't work. I had to go into the 1945 folder and run the binary for it to run.

Were you trying to execute them in the handheld or on the GP2X? They are the GP2X game executeable files. I don't think any OS or program on a PC can run them. I may be wrong, but that'd be news to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hohlraum posted on Feb 10 2006 at 07:20 PM said:
another weird thing is that I downloaded 1945 and my system wouldn't finish booting. just sat there forever. i had to remove the sd card and boot up and then put the sd card back in to play.

This has happened to me before, but it is always when I have inserted the SD while the GP2X is booting. Either insert the SD before you turn on the GP2X or after it is at the main menu.

I have a little page set up for people that are thinking of getting a GP2X or just got one.

nickspoon posted on Feb 10 2006 at 08:42 PM said:
SnipaMasta posted on Feb 10 2006 at 08:20 PM said:
What's so wrong with it? It's fine!
Most here would disagree, including me.

It's not that bad, really. It can be annoying sometimes - but for general use, there's not much of a problem with it.

SnipaMasta posted on Feb 10 2006 at 10:32 PM said:
nickspoon posted on Feb 10 2006 at 08:42 PM said:
SnipaMasta posted on Feb 10 2006 at 08:20 PM said:
What's so wrong with it? It's fine!
Most here would disagree, including me.

It's not that bad, really. It can be annoying sometimes - but for general use, there's not much of a problem with it.

The main problems with the joystick is that it can be unresponsive (mine was for ages, but now it's fine.. weird) and the edges of it cut your thumb if you're absolutely hardcore at MKII.

Like me!

Shouldn't this topic gone on the 'I just got my gp2x' pin at the top of thisboard. Im gettin kinda fed up with the joystic sucks thing now.
TOUGH, I like it fine!
And breathe out.
Thanks
:p

hi peeps,

i honesty dont know whats wrong with it!!!!!

the reason being:-

all the consoles emulated, each have different joy pads/sticks. so i fail to see how you can get it perfect. (some use analogue, some use digital some use the normal button d-pads. so it will never be perfect for every situation......

i say get used to it!!!!

it gets easier!!!!

cheers

m

www.personal.triticom.com/~erm/GP2X/GeneralInfo/]page set up for people that are thinking of getting a GP2X or just got one[/url].
[/quote]

Have mine on order from play asia, and was checking out and downloading like a wild thing. Found your post and page, excellent info, put it out there !!

Hohlraum posted on Feb 10 2006 at 07:20 PM said:
the joystick kinda sucks :( they really should have used one of those nes style (+) pads. don't suppose the joystick is replaceable some how? another weird thing is that I downloaded 1945 and my system wouldn't finish booting. just sat there forever. i had to remove the sd card and boot up and then put the sd card back in to play.

There are these third party caps that help control a bit.

Look at sig :p

I was going to make a new topic, but I figured sod it, and decided to post in the first place where I saw relevance.

I just got your cap today, Dave, and dear GOD is it excellent. It really does work *that* much better. If GPH doesn't start making them stock soon, I'm going to write an appeal :)

Back