Just 'dug Up' My Gp32 And Need Help. . .

muffrat

Still Fresh
Hi, can any experienced users help me out ???

I bought a GP32 last april (2003), and had a couple of months of fun with it, i had all kinds of emulators running fine on it, and eventually sussed out how to play divx files.

However, my son was born last june, and all free time disappeared from my life. As a result, my GP32 disappeared into a cupboard, and has only now been dug up.

Since stowing it away, my pc has had windows reinstalled a couple times, and as a result none of the link software/drivers remained.

On turning on the Gp32, it no longer recognises either of my two media cards, returning a "no smc inserted" error message. So i thought fine, i'll re-download the software, format the cards, and start over.

No such luck.

I successfully downloaded and installed both the usb driver and pc-link software, but can't do anything else. When trying to connect to the gp32, all i get is a 'process error' error message on the gp32, and a communication error from the PC link host.

How can i start over ??

Can anybody help ??!!

thanks. . .

There is a new program around by Squidge that makes the GP32 into a drive although it isn't compatable with Windows 98. It's on this site somewhere, doing a search should bring you some luck.

Hi- Doesn't life change after children? :) Had our first three years ago- a boy too. Already he has his eyes glowing over my GP32.....eeeek

As for your GP32- What firmware and Windows version are you using? I'm new to this myself, but I've a few ideas...The rest of the guys can correct me if I'm wrong.

I was having quite a few problems with the USB link and decided to use the European firmware (beta release). I found the PC link software to be much more reliable in this beta release, so maybe that would be worth a shot. It can be found at
GP32

Last week I had problems and forgot to change the batteries..so just thought I'd mention to ask if your power source is okay (no offense intended). I presume you've tried recovering the SMC? I ended up buying a SMC card reader for my laptop which does wonders and is faster than the USB connection.

Will check and see if you've had any success later. Good Luck!

Gio

thanks for the above. . .

i checked the board for the program that allowt the gp32 to be read as a drive. i found it, but it appears to be a .fxe file, which doesnt help i dont think because i can't read from or write to the cards, and hence can't install it onto the gp32 and run it.

I am currently running windows xp home, and have never modified the gp32 firmware from the original spec.

And what do you mean by 'recovering' the SMC ?? I don't have a card reader. . . and don't know what you mean!!

All input appreciated...

This also happened to me and i tried everything but the cards wouldn't work, the only reason i can think of is that static electricity has built up and destroye the cards, this is why i now use anti-static cases and never keep my SMC's in my GP when im not using it

WindowsXP thinks its soo smart and installs some default drivers for your GP32 USB cable, these do NOT WORK. You have to change them to the ones provided by GamePark (or Firefly), for the GP32 USB to work properly. Simply find the GP32 USB in your device manager and update the drivers (manually select the GamePark drivers) and unplug your USB cable and plug it back in. Simple.

My 5 year old has my AfterBurner GBA (with the metriod's, castlevanias, etc...), so that keeps him away from my GP32....for now...he still tries to get me to let him play FF2/3 and Metriod (nes games)....

well on the original FW yuo go to the link program w/ it not connected and just do what it says but we need to know whitch FW yuor using...

oyes see if the contacts are dirty

Muffrat> I have the option on my version of the GP32's firmware of recovering the SMC...In effect I think that this means recovering the card's file structure which can become corrupt (I found an article on this some time ago). I had trouble writing to a Smart Media Card a while back & used a digital camera that took SMC to allow a format of the card through windows.

Maybe Midget is right and the Smart Media Cards are actually damaged. Could you borrow a card from somewhere and give it a shot? Or alternatively ask someone with a device that uses SMCs to try and see if it is useable. If the GP32 worked before storage then it's either the fault of the USB drivers you are using or the SMCs are damaged. Have you tried installing the usb drivers from the European firmware I directed you to. Just unzip the usb drivers, right click and choose 'install'. I'm sure you're GP32 is still working though Muffrat.

Akuma no Houkon> cool idea about the GBA...will buy one for my son to preserve my GP32 :)

cheers

muffrat posted on Mar 23 2004 at 05:58 PM said:
...On turning on the Gp32, it no longer recognises either of my two media cards, returning a "no smc inserted" error message...
Are you sure you are not inserting the SmartMedia cards upside down?

Last edited by a moderator:
jcbnetwork posted on Mar 23 2004 at 06:15 PM said:
muffrat posted on Mar 23 2004 at 05:58 PM said:
...On turning on the Gp32, it no longer recognises either of my two media cards, returning a "no smc inserted" error message...
Are you sure you are not inserting the SmartMedia cards upside down?
or backwards too

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the answer to your problem. I have had a few errors with Smart media cards and I discovered that if you have a card reader and right click on the drive icon, select format, and format the card, it can be recognisable by windows. Once it is recognisable, you can format the card with the gp32 like program like you usually do. ;)

Back