GP32 SMC write problems?

sumner2003

Still Fresh
I purchased a GP32 unit from gbax.com recently and I am having a few problems using it with my smart media cards.

I am unable to write anything to the SMCs using the GP32 unit. This causes major problems when I use the PC-Link software. The software connects, i can view directories but if I attempt to format or install I get a 'SMC link error' message on the GP32 and 'an error occurred in GP32 during process' in the PC-Link software .

Applications such as 'Wind-Ups' also appear to be having problems writing to the SMC, as it doesn't appear to save my desktop settings when I restart the machine (despite me selecting the 'Save Desktop' option) .

I am currently using a digital camera to format (manual format via the Pacrom software does not work) and put files on the SMC's. As you can appreciate this is a very long winded process!

I doubt very much that this problem is due to empty batteries, faulty PC equipment or SMCs because I've had the same errors on two systems and four new SMC cards. Please help, as I am at a loss of what to do next!

what operating system are you using? If it's windows 98 (first edition?) that may be what is causing the problem. I saw this on another thread recently

I suspect it is formated to the wrong type, sounds like the GP32 is having trouble writing to the card because its the wrong format.

-Craig

www.gbax.com

Is there any way to format the card correctly other than using the PC-Link software?

I have a card reader now but it only seems to format in fat and fat32.

Applications such as 'Wind-Ups' also appear to be having problems writing to the SMC, as it doesn't appear to save my desktop settings when I restart the machine (despite me selecting the 'Save Desktop' option) .
With gp32's from gbax.com, the multi firmware is installed, this does include windups - but - if you want to use it with any success, you need to download the windups package and install on your smc. Without the package on your smc, windups will not work as expected.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, having read that about Winf-Ups in another thread I installed it. The install gave me icons but it still doesn't remember my settings.

PC Link software is rubbish. I'm forever getting problems with it. You need to get a smart media reader (they cost £10) and will save you a lot of trouble in the long run.

PC Link software is rubbish. I'm forever getting problems with it. You need to get a smart media reader (they cost £10) and will save you a lot of trouble in the long run.
I've got one but no matter how I format my smc's, the gp32 will not write to them.

How do you format yours?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back