Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DIVX

• PIZZA

• AZZIP

• Total voters

some members of the divx developerment team felt it should be taken in a different direction, so they left to develop an off-shoot called xvid which is now an alternative to divx.

thats what i've been told anyway :D

I think it has something to do with the fact that Xvid is evolved from DivX v3.something, since DivX was open source back then. It's much like the difference between mp3 and Ogg Vorbis.

Ringo posted on Sep 22 2004 at 09:11 PM said:
I think it has something to do with the fact that Xvid is evolved from DivX v3.something, since DivX was open source back then. It's much like the difference between mp3 and Ogg Vorbis.

Is it realy that different ? I though xvid was mostly divx compatable you can even set the xvid codec to use the internal Divx header thingy

I have not used Divx for some time but the last time I did it was Adware so I just use VLC also have xvid codec but I think VLC has some internal stuff for divx

Last edited by a moderator:
Pirotic posted on Sep 22 2004 at 11:08 PM said:
some members of the divx developerment team felt it should be taken in a different direction, so they left to develop an off-shoot called xvid which is now an alternative to divx.

thats what i've been told anyway :D
You totally missed it. DIVX 4.0 has been open sourced and xvid has been created with this source code.

Everyone missed the fact that DiVX ;) is now not only closed-source but commercial, and the encoder comes bundled with spyware. I'd just generally avoid it. There was an interview with the creator a while back and basically he comes across as some lucky student whose pet project exploded, and now he's trying to make tons of cash from it.

I made hundreds of tests about difference between Divx 4.12 and Xvid and I can now say : Divx is better than Xvid on the GP32.

At least, that is what I saw. ;)

Drumaster posted on Sep 23 2004 at 11:18 AM said:
I made hundreds of tests about difference between Divx 4.12 and Xvid and I can now say : Divx is better than Xvid on the GP32.

At least, that is what I saw. ;)
That doesn't really make sense, as the writers of gpcinema would have access to the xvid code and so be able to make a better player for it.

sam fisher posted on Sep 23 2004 at 12:05 PM said:
no. bad drumaster, don't go telling lies now.
I never managed to get a video as good with xvid than with Divx, and yet I tried A LOT of settings, I searched a lot on the web...so shut up spamming kid.

Back