Is this bad.....?

fuji

Still Fresh
Ok, here is my story.

I just got my gp32 like a week ago. like 2 days ago i heard something rattling inside my case. today a piece of clear plastic with a silver stripe feel out( just like a tinie corner of plastic) And on top of that i have one more thing!

Just this week my screen started acting up. like last week i was playing GPengine and the screent started going off and on and many many scanlines appeared. I changed the batteries and it was fixed, but today it happened again only when i changed the batteries, it wasnt fixed. The mostly appear while playing Tomak and Little Wizard. Are scan lines common with these games?..... or is it my GP32?

Here is the whole reason i told you all this, should i tell play-asia this and ask them to replace my GP32 because its defective? please help!!!!

I would say call them, just make 100% sure it isn't the batteries.Scanliens are normal for low battery. AND they can happen during some games and not during others. but I'd ask them abotu the plastic thing too.

a picture of this mystery plastic part would be a big help ;)
and you mentionded gpengine, were you overclocking with it? cause if you did than thats your problem :(
but try a new set of batteries first just to make sure! ;)

I bet he did OC in GPengine. That option seriously needs to be hidden away and/or the user should receive a clear warning if they use it.

My GP32 works with the GPengine OC option, but I only tried it for a few seconds just to test. Unfortunately many users probably aren't aware that those options can destroy their display if used for some length of time. Which is what I fear this user did. Yet another reason I hope to see a new version of GPengine soon.

Hope he also makes an autofire option, it help to play raiden or even r-type. :D

I have got a similar problem with mine. Does your GP32 have an FLU?

I believe the problem with my GP32 is to do with the installation of the FLU, as when the scanlines things happen, I can easily fix it by applying pressure to the grey plastic surrounding the screen. This makes me think there is a faulty connection to the display.

I have never over clocked my GP32, but the first time this happened to me was also while using GPEngine. It was also the first time I had actually used my GP32 for a prolonged period of time (I spent the first week mucking around testing various things) so I believe the fault would have happened then regardless of which emulator I was using.

Ok i can take a picture of the plastic thing if you want, I did overclock my GP32 for like 1 second and my gp32 crashed, never tried it again. I do not have a flu. Ummmmmmmm o and for those of you that have boght from play-asia whats your expierence with faulty items? Will the exchange it for a new one?

Try the battery thing a couple more times (use different brands of batteries) and if that doesn't word then start whining at play-asia ;)

I don't think its batteries, I'm using a fresh pair of fully charged batteries and I've started getting scanlines now and again, it often starts when I quit GPengine (I don't overclock) or when I start doom, it then stays until I leave it switched off for a few hours. It also started to happen after I stopped messing around and using it for lengthy periods of time but I think I know what causes it,

Have you been leaving it in direct sunlight, or humid or very warm areas? I find that if I leave it in a warm spot I get scan lines and they go away after it cools down.

With the plastic thing, I remember a similar post a while ago which basically identified a similar problem and piece of plastic as being from one of the L/R buttons, and that they simply didn't click anymore or something (although they worked fine).

And with the scanlines, I have no idea, but if it's that easy to recreate the problem I really don't see the harm in getting it replaced. Problems can never be recreated when you need them to be!

Ok i can take a picture of the plastic thing if you want, I did overclock my GP32 for like 1 second and my gp32 crashed, never tried it again. I do not have a flu. Ummmmmmmm o and for those of you that have boght from play-asia whats your expierence with faulty items? Will the exchange it for a new one?

Heres some rules..

GP32 normally runs at 66MHz; you can safely clock it to 132MHz no problem. Going past 132MHz can trash your display (permanently!) so don't do that.. GPengine will let you do it since the GPEngine release was before anyone knew this fact :( FLU eats batteries liike mad.. but the FLU will flicker and go out before the unit gets weird though.. ie: Your FLU will cut out and you still have 30 mins of non-FLU play..

GP32 is seriously whacked when batteries are low; when you overclock, your batteriea re extra hit; you will often find some apps (nut not all) crash right away ot do weird thigns when batteries are low. Rechargables may get use dup super fast if cheap kind or near the end of their life etc...

Get a fresh set of good solid aklaline batteries and try then out.

IF you still have the problem.. likely a GP32 hardware or FLU installation I'd say...

Good luck :(

jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the piece of plastic, thin, and clear? Perhaps a milimetre or so across?
There is a small plastic strip that sits slotted inside the FLU unit within the GP32, which appears to be a light filter of some kind, which spreads the light evenly across the edge of one of the screens in the gp32 -- the one that actually provides illumination-- this strip fits in before the screen fits in.

I have been inside of my Gp32 and noticed this strip of plastic and wondered myself where it actually fitted into -- I also noticed the same "lines" as mentioned above. I placed it into the slot, and put the screen back in and it fixed the problem.
I can't say for sure, but I certainly noticed many more lines visable with this strip not in place. Hope this helps someone, and it probably doesn't help the first guy with a non-flu unit. ;)

Just make the point that strictly speaking, the GP32 doesn't really support rechargables (from what I've seen). It's designed to work on 1.5v batteries, so I think you're far more likely to have problems like this on rechargables. Bit of a pain - hope mine will work well with rechargables when I get it.

In the manual it says rechargables are OK, so you are covered by waaranty because you didnt misuse the product.

Great, sorry I didn't know that haven't got mine yet. I just assumed it wouldn't because most high drain things don't really support rechargables.

Back