Is there ever going to be a TV-Out cable?

Ok, so the last hope to connect it to a computer-screen(don't have a tv right now) would be a S-Video to VGa adapter like this one:

http://www.amazon.de/Ligawo-WIDESCREEN-Unterst%C3%BCtzung-Skalierung-1920x1080p/dp/B0028ACRNI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1352040936&sr=8-2

Sorry, found that product only on the german Amazon page, but there should be other similar adapters out there.

So if that worked it would be great for me, but I'm not sure if the quality for games or the xfce desktop is good enough. Well...there's still time to consider till a TV-out cable is actually available for me...

I have one of those although it is a different brand and it does work. I have not tried to hook it up to an actual computer monitor yet but I did connect it to my 40 inch HDTV through the VGA port and it looked OK. It did seem a little fuzzy on my TV but it could just be that my TV doesn't like the lower resolution signals. I will try it on my PC monitor later and see what it looks like.

Sounds promising, maybe on a smaller LCD screen even the desktop would be usable...40 inches for gaming - WOO-HOO - way to go man!!

Where did u get ur cable frefol?

I built my own cable. I don't know if the converter you posted is the exact same but mine still does not look all that great, even on my smaller 20 inch monitor. I had to mess with the brightness and contrast settings to even make it usable and after that, the picture was still really grainy. It does work though and the text is readable. I played a few levels of Gianas Return and then played Tetris DX on Gambatte so it is good enough to play games.

what kind of cable would i need to hook Pandora up to a digital projector, think it has standard RGB/Scart connector?

what kind of cable would i need to hook Pandora up to a digital projector, think it has standard RGB/Scart connector?

I personally use S-Video and using a PAL output seems to render the best quality output on my DLP projector.. I like in the US, so I don't deal with SCART but I believe there is a S-video to SCART adapters out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I built my own cable. I don't know if the converter you posted is the exact same but mine still does not look all that great, even on my smaller 20 inch monitor. I had to mess with the brightness and contrast settings to even make it usable and after that, the picture was still really grainy. It does work though and the text is readable. I played a few levels of Gianas Return and then played Tetris DX on Gambatte so it is good enough to play games.

All of those kinds of little boxes will give a blury image... the conversion of signal types just makes them blury

they work best when resolutions of the source are low 640x480 much more than that and you will get awful pictures.

Regardless what kind of display equipment you want to hook a Pandora up to, you're going to need a Pandora TV-Out cable (either made by one of the forumites here, or one eventually made by Open Pandora).

Your projector may have a composite and/or S-Video input on it (check your manual, or search the model spec on the maker's website) which you could use directly.

You sure it has a SCART socket? SCART is pretty unusual these days on projectors, it's part of the old analogue era - if it does though, that could be used with a small adaptor (a Scart plug with composite/SVideo inputs on it).

If it has only HDMI and another type of RGB input, then you'll need to investigate buying another convertor.

So the best quality u'd get with the s-video plug connected to a tv with a s-video socket??

So since I don't have a TV the most handy would be to get a lcd screen with a s-video input. (Would be good to use with my netbook too anyway...)

Just saw some used ones on ebay, they're actually not expensive :)

Now I just have to wait for the cables... Or is there anyone who'd make me one(for a fistful of $'s)??

So since I don't have a TV the most handy would be to get a lcd screen with a s-video input. (Would be good to use with my netbook too anyway...)

If you can afford the extra space, you'll get more pleasing results from an old style CRT (tube) TV - modern flat panel TVs don't generally give great results from the old analogue signals. If you can find a seller nearby you can pick up a CRT TV for next to nothing these days!

So the circle closes, and we're back at the TV :D Thx for the advice, an old TV sounds like the best option then.

Seeing this topic surface again, let me add my most recent experience on the matter:

I have built a few tv-out cables and was generally disappointed with the quality on my old CRTs. Now that my 30 years old, big CRT has died and my 15 year old small tube had developed a high-pitched tone that feels like piercing your brain I bought a Toshiba 40" Full-HD LED Tv on discount for 295€ and I have been blown away by how awesome stuff looks on it. I am pretty sure that the Tv does things to the signal... but holy moly everything looks super smooth, using the SNES emu to play Contra III - the flames in the second half of level 1 look different than what I'm used to, but awesome nontheless.

Those new TVs may not be good foor delivering the original experience, but what those do is definitely very high quality.

BTW, hooked up my PC to it, playing FPS stuff like Borderlands 2... dude! There's so much stuff to see! XD

I'm still baffled ;D You can see I'm pretty happy with my purchase. Cough. Back on topic i'd say.

Edit in response to PokeParadox below: For reference, It's a Thoshiba 40LV933, bashed in some reviews although I can't see why..

Last edited by a moderator:
To round off what kuru is saying - some modern TVs can handle analog signals pretty decently - they upscale, noise reduce, etc. Unfortunately it's a bit like playing the lottery, since many seem to have the bog-standard analog components that barely get an image on the screen...

Basically CRTs are more likely to be better equipped to display a better image. You can strike it lucky with some modern LCDTVs/displays.

Back