Caanoo Tv Out Quality

N

nkldmt

i am currently considering selling my f200 to get a caanoo as it seems a very interesting device.
Specifically i would like to ask about the quality of the tv out functionality. On my f200 the colors sometimes looked oversaturated and response was sometimes slow/jerky (it was not an emulator problem as the one i was using was performing fullspeed without the tv-out enabled). Does the caanoo tv-out suffer from such issues?

Seems fine to me (although can't say I've done extensive testing).

Its composite so its not going to be brilliant, but noticeably better than Pandora (in that the cable is actually available) or gp2x (far too much hassle powering up the dock and unit seperately).

thanks for your reply...
isn't s=video available? just composite?

i did notice kaitsen patsier or something (one of the games from the package deals) run noticable slower when running under tv-out.

I'm using the gp2x tv-out cable and that quality was rather crap but i'm guessing it's because it's not officially supported (can only use the video out lead an not the audio).

However if you loop your video output through the pc you can use FFDSHOW and it's filters / settings to improve image quality which helps a lot

sinektik said:
thanks for your reply...

The official cable is just Composite. Although the gp2x was s-video and used similar connector so maybe hackable although whether would in reality be any better quality I'm not sure.

Also worth noting that some emulators don't work yet - notably the excellent Picodrive.

Last edited by a moderator:
andyB911 said:
sinektik said:
thanks for your reply...

The official cable is just Composite. Although the gp2x was s-video and used similar connector so maybe hackable although whether would in reality be any better quality I'm not sure.

Also worth noting that some emulators don't work yet - notably the excellent Picodrive.

svideo did not seem to work with my gp2x tv out cable on the caanoo, component (video only did), do not try to hook up the audio component cables, cause there'll be shortcircuits :) (i tried it)

but if you really need svideo there are very cheap convertors out there

Last edited by a moderator:
I've noticed the GP2X performs slower when TV-out is enabled. I presume this is because the TV-out chip is stealing precious memory bandwidth when enabled and causing the CPU to stall a lot (wild guess).

As for it being washed out, you can install a firmware I helped develop, Open2X DR7, and it has a universal TV-out gamma setting added to GMenu2X that helps change it to your liking. I usually lower the gamma a bit because it is too high by default. Links to: F200 version and F100 version

yeah i have been using open2x dr7 for months...tv-out performs better in the color department and the gamma setting is indeed very helpful but there is still some noticeable and unpredictable lag...Also some apps go nuts when you try to use them with tv out enabled...but it's ok, i think caanoo is already a lot better in general, i 'll probably go for it...

Back