Is It Just Me

i think i'm a little star-struck that ED posted in a thread i started. yeah, i'll go ahead and say that. **** either i'm cussing you out ED or those are how many stars i see. depends on how much longer i have to wait for my pandora

just kidding, great work, i'm just a tad TOO excited for pandora

may88 said:
EvilDragon said:
Geeez, all I did was upgrade from PHP 5.2.xx to 5.3.1
Why do PHP updates always seem to BREAK something?
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :)

there are versions of PHP to which one can refer to as "ain't broke"?
news to me ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Balzac2m said:
may88 said:
EvilDragon said:
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :)

there are versions of PHP to which one can refer to as "ain't broke"?
news to me ;)

:lol:

just curious but what language do you prefer for tasks which PHP is generally used for? Always open to learning...

EvilDragon said:

I had someone ask me that seriously once (soemthing along the lines of "why aren't new versions of Windows 100% compatible with old ones?". :rolleyes

Monk said:
EvilDragon said:

I had someone ask me tha tseriously once (soemthing along the lines of "why aren't new versions of Windows 100% compatible with old ones?". :rolleyes

That's pretty different...new PHP 5.xx executables are supposed to be compatible with code written for any version of PHP 5

quadomatic said:
Monk said:
EvilDragon said:

I had someone ask me tha tseriously once (soemthing along the lines of "why aren't new versions of Windows 100% compatible with old ones?". :rolleyes

That's pretty different...new PHP 5.xx executables are supposed to be compatible with code written for any version of PHP 5

I'm not sure that's technically possible. After all, if the software has changed then it will behave differently. Theoretically some PHP code could work around or even rely on behaviour which has now been "fixed" - and so things will be "broken".

There is only one piece of software that is 100% compatible - and that is itself. Make a change, there's a change. It's inevitable. Even if it's just in the timing of how long it takes for an action to occur.

Monk said:
quadomatic said:
Monk said:
EvilDragon said:

I'm not sure that's technically possible. After all, if the software has changed then it will behave differently. Theoretically some PHP code could work around or even rely on behaviour which has now been "fixed" - and so things will be "broken".

There is only one piece of software that is 100% compatible - and that is itself. Make a change, there's a change. It's inevitable. Even if it's just in the timing of how long it takes for an action to occur.

To me, it seems crazy that they would expect programmers would have to update their code for minute syntax changes with every incremental update of PHP. That's why major changes are only made with each version increase (i.e., PHP4 to PHP5), and that's why Python maintains both Python 2.6 and 3.1.

Back