Is Gp32 Manager Lying?

TandeM

Mega Pandora Mania?
Website
Visit site
I've deleted two sizable folders from my SMC lately - GP:/GPMM/GENESIS (moved to unzipped ROMs for Gigadrive and shifted them to another SMC) and GP:/GPMM/GPWar (accidentally installed the French version...oops) using the GP32 Manager. But while the folders are gone, GP32 Manager (or even the GP32's self-auditor) doesn't acknowledge all of the space that should have been freed up. Right now, my SMC is claiming to be packed to the brim when it can't be more than 2/3 full, and I'd like to know where my space went. I can't use SquidgeLink with my PC (Win98SE here...stop laughing!), and I don't have an SMC reader/writer handy (nor do I know if it would help). What I have tried is:

1) "Recover SMC" option in EuroFW beta PC-Link - no good.
2) "Debug" mode (L-R-R-L-R-R-L-L @ startup) - didn't help.
3) PC-Link 1.2en, 1.2 - long filenames hack, 1.32en, 1.32ko - no luck either.

If anyone's got a fix for this, please respond. I really don't want to resort to reflashing FW/reformatting my SMC if there's an easier way. I don't even know if the files inside the folders have actually been deleted, or are just floating around hoarding SMC space.

TandeM posted on May 14 2004 at 07:24 PM said:
If anyone's got a fix for this, please respond. I really don't want to resort to reflashing FW/reformatting my SMC if there's an easier way. I don't even know if the files inside the folders have actually been deleted, or are just floating around hoarding SMC space.

Normally when you delete a file the first letter of their filename is removed, and they have been marked to be overwritten. I dont know if solid state storage devices (flash) work in quite the same way but I am sure if they dont, they work on atleast a similar premise.

I would say, remove EVERYTHING from your SMC, (back it all up to a folder on your harddrive) and check to see what it registers then, then slowly fill it back up checking the space used. Maybe you really didnt free up as much as you figured with the loss of those two folders.

You might want to give gpDrive a go so if anything changes.

I cant help you much more than that, I dont use any software like that, I use a SMC reader/writer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pretty sure that deleting a ~15MB folder (GPWar) means there should be more than 1.8MB of SMC space left. I'll just back up my SMC (delete everything and see if space is still being occupied, though) and re-install from scratch, because nothing else seems to be working.

Well, time to start uploading...*puts in fresh pair of batteries*

This could take a while...*is too stubborn/stingy to buy a $5 SMC writer*

I've noticed this if you delete one thing and then another, it won't free up the space. Just use pc-link to remove files, then go back to gpmanager if you want, hopefully it'll be fixed with the euro launch.

TandeM posted on May 14 2004 at 08:01 PM said:

You know, the cost of new batteries, or even the cost of electricity used for recharging rechargables or using a plugin, ends up being alot more costly than a $5 SMC writer. Its a good investment.

I had a similar problem. I was missing quite a bit of space on my SMC, and when I copied the whole structure back to HD, Doom2.wad became available, eventhough I was sure I deleted it! I have no idea why the file had this strange "inivisbility"-thing going on, but just try it, maybe it helps.

I would really recommend an SMC card reader/writer. With this your SMC is just like another disk, so you can run any windows utility eg scandskw, defrag etc.

Akuma no Houkon posted on May 15 2004 at 06:46 AM said:
TandeM posted on May 14 2004 at 08:01 PM said:

You know, the cost of new batteries, or even the cost of electricity used for recharging rechargables or using a plugin, ends up being alot more costly than a $5 SMC writer. Its a good investment.
Eventually I got sleepy and plugged in a 3V adaptor, set it to run for 3 hours, started the uploading and went to sleep. 11 hours later, my GP32's sitting at the boot screen (under battery power), PC-Link has timed out, and only 1/3 of the SMC was uploaded.

I'm getting that card reader now.

Finished backing up my SMC; deleted every folder (GAME, MP3, GPMM, etc.)

GP32 Manager claims only 1872K of space is available.

Time to reformat.

UPDATE: Finished re-installing. 21056K remaining now, which is what it should have been all along. Still have no clue why this happened in the first place, though.

I had the same problem a long time ago.

I used GPdrive and performed a small disc scan on it.

It then filled it up with about 30 'found.000' files, when deleted gave me back all my free space that I was missing.

Back