Is Anyone Else Here Interested In Windows Gaming?

Do you have any interest in retro or current Windows gaming?

• Definitely. I would buy a pocket-sized x86 before I buy Pandora.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but I''m more interested in retro console emulation.

• Would be nice, but I don''t really care.

• I have zero interest in Windows gaming.

• Total voters

fuckoff.png

'es87' said:
you would be extremely lucky if battery life was only cut in half with the same processing power
5 hours isn't bad, but we all know with x86 it'd be 2-3 hours. :lol: And at a minimum cost of $600 for the unit.

'PoisonedV' said:
I get a kick out of you. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
'Material Defender' said:
On another note entirely: do you guys really go ~10 hours of solid usage without access to a wall outlet or car cigarette lighter?
welcome to the world of power-efficient computing. it revolves around well-thought-out, efficient risc designs and architectures, and software built deliberately for those. you will not find many x86s running legacy windows code here.

'darkblu' said:
On another note entirely: do you guys really go ~10 hours of solid usage without access to a wall outlet or car cigarette lighter?
welcome to the world of power-efficient computing. it revolves around well-thought-out, efficient risc designs and architectures, and software built deliberately for those. you will not find many x86s running legacy windows code here.

material defender has obviously never left the confines of his room, his car, or his local airport.
hes obviously never been backpacking. he clearly hasnt been in an older model of car with incomparable cigarette lighters. hes probably never been in a foreign country with no adapter. maybe hes never gone camping.
i think we should all go easier on material defender. He's clearly led a very unfullfilling life.

I apologize for the quotes if they don't work. Stupid board problems. :(

Sim series, especially Sim City 2000 and Sim Tower
Try Lincity, or Micropolis. If neither of those float your boat, SimCity 2K was a DOS game (later ported to Mac and Windows) and may run under DosBox. Sim Tower was a low requirement Win3.1 game, so should probably have little difficulty running under DosBox, but we'll have to see.
Neverwinter Nights
Baldur's gate / Icewind Dale series
Planescape: Torment
Check out GemRB.

Fallout 1 and 2
I don't know about Fallout 2, but I do recall someone working on a Fallout 1 clone at some point in time. I can't remember who.
If not, even though it's at the high end of the spectrum, with the right optimization, Fallout 1 may (BIG MAY!) be able to run in DosBox as well. It ran under both Windows and Dos.

Civilization 2
Civilization 3
See if FreeCiv interests you.

The Curse of / Escape from Monkey Island
Grim Fandango
Ok, now I know you've done absolutely no research if you're worried about playing either of these. ;)

Warcraft (battle.net edition, which is Windows only)
Starcraft
Why battle.net edition?
Otherwise Stargus and Wargus should have you covered.

Lode Runner Returns / Lode Runner Online (MUCH better than the console versions I've played)
Lode Runner Returns is a Win3.1 game, and from the specs may be able to run well under DosBox. We'll have to wait and see. Lode Runner Online, released a year later, was fully updated to 32bit so you're probably in a spot there.

Morrowind
http://openmw.snaptoad.com/

Diablo 2
Thief: The Dark Project
Battlefield 1942
Half Life
System Shock 2
Alien vs. Predator 2
I think that about wraps it up. I can't find direct open source replacements for these, but I'm not actually looking all that hard. With some self investigation, you may turn up some.

Most of these run quite well in Wine. Are there any other great classics I'm neglecting here?
Wolf3D, Hexen, Doom, Duke3D, Blood, Might and Magic 1-5. Of course, none of these require Windows (or wine) but are awesome all the same.
NES / SNES / Genesis are great and all, but surely I can't be the only fan of retro PC gaming
My definition of retro involves anything that can be run in DosBox under 6000 cycles. Gotta be at least 15 years old. I am an old man :(

It would be nice if there was a x86 processor that would have a 5 hour battery life but so far I have yet to see one. Besides the only two games that I would want to play is....

-Heretic II
-1602 A.D. (which I think is better than the Civilization games.)
B)

Alien vs Predator is possible on the Pandora, and in someways superior to the sequel. I can't wait to play it on the go. It had great multiplayer and singleplayer too. Co-op, something like Horde in gears of war 2, and the ability to play as alien, predator or human was the best. :)

'WizardStan' said:
My definition of retro involves anything that can be run in DosBox under 6000 cycles. Gotta be at least 15 years old. I am an old man :(
To me, retro is... low colour. It has a distinct, simplistic style.

Games like Tron would qualify. :)

to me retro is a word that doesnt apply to what people use it 95 percent of the time

Modern games have more than one aspect to the gameplay, usually. To be Retro, that cannot be!

Raptor! Mario! Snake on Dope!

#1 GameMaster said:
-Heretic II
I wish I knew whether or not Loki kept to their word and returned the port codebase to Raven- and if so, if they kept it lying about. If that was the case, all one would have to do is sweet-talk them into allowing a publisher to re-spin it for the handheld space on OMAP3... :D

PoisonedV said:
to me retro is a word that doesnt apply to what people use it 95 percent of the time
No kidding, PoisonedV... Some people are calling the stuff we're talking to in this thread "retro". I'd call it "old-school", but to me retro's more akin to the stuff you'll see with the stella emu than that. And I'm here for that, the old-school stuff, and to see just how much modern indie stuff I can encourage and contribute to on the Pandora. :D

I think 'retro' is anything that is culturally aged or outdated that has superficially or functionally become the norm once again.

retro means old
old-school also means old
The definition of "old" is relative/subjective; use more specific terms if you need such a level of precision.

I think it's good for the devs to know how many fans of retro PC gaming we have around here.
Oh my god, are you serious? Pandora was born out of a retro gaming community that has existed for years. You know, the one we're in now. Have you looked at some of the forums outside the Pandora section? GP32? GP2X? Wiz? You might want to check the archives for all the work that has gone into old school PC games in this community. DOSBox, interpreters, ports, static recompilations, clones, shall I list them all?

Sorry for the rant, but that quote did my head in.

Apparently MD was thinking of retro WINDOWS PC gaming, not retro * gaming.
It's a little known fact that video games predate Windows and even DOS by a lot.

You won't get near-acceptable performance in most modern Windows games with an Atom or similar processor.

x86 in an handheld = a hell no for me. I like x86 games but I don't want to lose 50% or even more of battery life.

Btw: Fallout 1 will be playable using DOSbox.

No. Pandora will never go x86. Get over it.

There are plenty of x86-based pocket sized devices around. Go and buy one of them if you want x86.

Material Defender said:
Quick list of older PC games I would love to be able to have available in my pocket:

Diablo 2
Warcraft (battle.net edition, which is Windows only)
Starcraft
The Curse of / Escape from Monkey Island
Grim Fandango

On the Blizzard titles, yeah, I'd love to have those playable on the Pandora, but without real battle.net support I wouldn't be interested. COMI is (if I remember correctly) supported in ScummVM already, and the LucasArts 3D adventures will hopefully, given time, be made playable in Residual.
As for an x86 CPU in a handheld, no frelling way. Too much battery drain, too much heat generation. ARM is the way to go atm.

Back