Iphone 4

Meh... just looks like any other iThingy to me, even worse it looks like they are giving up on style and handing people rectangles instead of the "spacey" curvy. Once more into the breach for Apple. The only major improvement I see is the screen res, and even then what can you really do with it? It's just still a phone device that does a bunch of other stuff ... poorly. It's the Wii of phones... Sorry.

Don't worry. I strongly dislike Apple and their iThingies, and I haven't thought anything they've ever made is "sexy".

mindlord said:
Meh... just looks like any other iThingy to me, even worse it looks like they are giving up on style and handing people rectangles instead of the "spacey" curvy. Once more into the breach for Apple. The only major improvement I see is the screen res, and even then what can you really do with it? It's just still a phone device that does a bunch of other stuff ... poorly. It's the Wii of phones... Sorry.

Don't worry. I strongly dislike Apple and their iThingies, and I haven't thought anything they've ever made is "sexy".
im afraid that our opinions are 100% opposite then :)

Last edited by a moderator:
mindlord said:

Curvy is dead. Straight lines, glass and steel, industrial design. That's what's hot now.

The screen res is a massive plus for me, as I browse the web, read books and watch movies on the thing. This phone looks like it will be the jack of all trades and the master of them too.

craigix said:
What's the resolution of the new iphone?
Double the old one, so 960 x 640.

This thing looks awesome. Very nice design and amazing screen. I'm still getting an iPad though :).

My 3GS is looking really old all of a sudden. Damn my year of remaining contract!

yep 960*640.
also got a gyroscope - no one saw that coming. seems pretty cool to me :)
the 1ghz processor also seems cool. hopefully zodttd will do fun stuff with it :D

no one knows about ram though...

Nova said:
My 3GS is looking really old all of a sudden. Damn my year of remaining contract!
Was thinking the same thing. Doubt they will let me upgrade yet so i'm just going to bite the bullet and pay for it sim free. Surely can't cost any more than £550-600

I hear that Pandoras fetch that much on eBay.......................Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm :rolleyes:

quote said:
craigix said:
What's the resolution of the new iphone?
Double the old one, so 960 x 640.

This thing looks awesome. Very nice design and amazing screen. I'm still getting an iPad though :) .

Is it double or quadruple? Seriously... I'm kinda scratching my head on the proper way to describe the increase in resolution.

I'm leaning towards quadruple as there are 4x the number of pixels on the thing. But I can see where double works as the vertical and horizontal resolution each doubled.

Hmmmmm......

x68000 said:
Nova said:
Was thinking the same thing. Doubt they will let me upgrade yet so i'm just going to bite the bullet and pay for it sim free. Surely can't cost any more than £550-600

I hear that Pandoras fetch that much on eBay.......................Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm :rolleyes:

I'm going to have to wait. There's no way I can afford drop £600 on this, I'd rather have my iPhone and an iPad if it even came to that.

Mind you there is always this:

@o2UK: O2 customers still in contract will get a limited time special upgrade offer. More details in the coming days at www.j.mp/iPhoneOnO2

zounder1 said:
Is it double or quadruple? Seriously... I'm kinda scratching my head on the proper way to describe the increase in resolution.

I'm leaning towards quadruple as there are 4x the number of pixels on the thing. But I can see where double works as the vertical and horizontal resolution each doubled.

Hmmmmm......
Ah yes you're right. There are 4x the number of pixels but double the number width and height wise.
So quadruple is better. It also sounds more impressive :p .
My iPod touch's screen seems to be getting blurrier by the second... :(

Edit: What's with this gyroscope? What exactly can is sense that an accelerometer and a compass can't?

I so hope i can have it before juli the 20th, jailbroken and without a lock. Then i can show off during holidays:D
im getting it as soon these 2 things are possible, and i sold my 3gs for half of the money.
Gyroscope assists the accelerometer. More real steering and stuff like that.

WarmFluffyUK said:
Nice but I still like my 3GS, can't wait for iOS4 though :)
thats what a person who can't get out of their contract would say :rolleyes:

It's a good mentality to have though. If you can't afford it, try not to lust after it. But for me though, I haven't seen a quote that puts it better than this:

@estellehart: I'm holding an iPhone 3GS, might as well be holding a turd

quote said:
Edit: What's with this gyroscope? What exactly can is sense that an accelerometer and a compass can't?

Angular velocity. An accelerometer spinning about its center of gravity only detects a very small amount of acceleration due to centripetal force, that's difficult to measure on these low precision MEMS accelerometers.

Basically, the accelerometers are good at sensing you thrusting linearly while the gyroscope is good at sensing you rotate. The Wii upgraded its controller to the WiiMotionPlus as well, also adding gyroscopes.

I'm actually amazed they're offering it for 3GS prices, the AT&T subsidization must be immense. If you take the 3GS and move to an A4, some state of the art new display with crazy pixel density, and gyroscopes (those are a lot more expensive than accelerometers) then it seems like it'd add up to one big BOM price hike.

Back