Ioquake2 (cpufreq)

Pickle posted on May 28 2009 at 06:38 AM said:
forgeflow posted on May 28 2009 at 12:31 AM said:
Quick question - where are the save games and config.cfg files being saved to?
they should be in the game folder, so for example if you run the normal files they would be in id1.
Yeah, but this is Quake2, there is no id1 folder. :) I looked in baseq2 and the .ssv file isn't there - but the game certainly shows and loads the saved game. So I was wondering where it was loading it from. Quake2 normally saves its save games in a "save" folder in baseq2.

Maybe it's saving somewhere on the NAND?

Last edited by a moderator:
forgeflow posted on May 28 2009 at 01:03 PM) [quote="Pickle posted on May 28 2009 at 06:38 AM said:
they should be in the game folder, so for example if you run the normal files they would be in id1.
Yeah, but this is Quake2, there is no id1 folder. :"] I looked in baseq2 and the .ssv file isn't there - but the game certainly shows and loads the saved game. So I was wondering where it was loading it from. Quake2 normally saves its save games in a "save" folder in baseq2.

Maybe it's saving somewhere on the NAND?[/quote]ugh yeah im losing it. id1 is quake1.
You may be right, the files could be writing to /root/.quake2 something like that. I think ive seen something in the console output.
When I can I will take a look and see if I can change it to the game directory. maybe the other sdlquake did this...

Yeah it works great now. Thanks!

And about the bindings: I have no idea how I was thinking yesterday, as the current setup works just fine. I blame the lack of sleep :)

Well, it looks like my problem has something to do with one of the old saves. I installed both mission packs and they save/load perfectly, but Quake 2 just crashes when I go into either 'save' or 'load'. Any idea on how to delete the old Q2 saves, Pickle?

Hombre Blanco posted on May 29 2009 at 12:20 AM said:
Well, it looks like my problem has something to do with one of the old saves. I installed both mission packs and they save/load perfectly, but Quake 2 just crashes when I go into either 'save' or 'load'. Any idea on how to delete the old Q2 saves, Pickle?
Ive put up a new version ( have to wait until ED sees it)
Ive change the home directory thing so it puts everything under the game folders. i.e saves
I added the new mmuhack module, but no change(which is kind of expected)

Tried it out - Works well, saves and config are where they are supposed be. Thank you!

EDIT: I bumped the cpufreq up to 800 - plays very smoothly for the most part. After watching Pickle's YouTube video of playing Quake 2 on the Pandora ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_2Hrw1vmkY ) my only wish now would be for the Wiz to have analogue nubbins. :)

Great work, Pickle! Quake 2 saves perfectly, and I can change the controls in the config!

-New Controls-
(On a related note, I was able to remap the controls so that the face buttons control freelook, 'left' and 'right' on the pad strafe in those directions, 'select' switches weapons, 'L' jumps, 'R' fires vol+ is inventory, and vol- is crouch. I really wanted to map 'menu' to crouch and 'vol-' to the q2 menu, but I can't remap the menu through the config file.) If anyone wants to try out the new config, message me and I can E-mail it to you. It's basically the 'Medal of Honor' Controls for the psp, and it works very well in that you can now circle strafe and aim up and down while running (but you need to have 'always run' set to on since i had to remove 'run'.)

Great work, Pickle! Quake 2 saves perfectly, and I can change the controls in the config!
-New Controls-
(On a related note, I was able to remap the controls so that the face buttons control freelook, 'left' and 'right' on the pad strafe in those directions, 'select' switches weapons, 'L' jumps, 'R' fires vol+ is inventory, and vol- is crouch. I really wanted to map 'menu' to crouch and 'vol-' to the q2 menu, but I can't remap the menu through the config file.) If anyone wants to try out the new config, message me and I can E-mail it to you. It's basically the 'Medal of Honor' Controls for the psp, and it works very well in that you can now circle strafe and aim up and down while running (but you need to have 'always run' set to on since i had to remove 'run'.)

Im thinking of revisiting the controls again. I found my double mapping doesnt allow remapping to be done inside quake2 (you always get a y for the new key). Im guessing you modified the config file directly?

So im thinking I might make y=y x=n and then provide a preset config file.

-New Controls-

Im thinking of revisiting the controls again. I found my double mapping doesnt allow remapping to be done inside quake2 (you always get a y for the new key"]. Im guessing you modified the config file directly?

So im thinking I might make y=y x=n and then provide a preset config file.[/quote]Yeah, I had to verify what keys were mapped to what buttons, so it took a bit of work. Is there any possibility the q2 menu can be mapped to one of the volume keys? using crouch as a volume key makes it very hard to crouch into an area in a hurry (Like when fighting). And the Q2 menu is really just something you'd hit every so often to save or pause, so I don't think it would need to be somewhere with such easy access. Maybe I'm alone on this, just my two cents.

I am using the version of this program found in the Wiz Archive so I don't know if it is the most recent. I have one issue with the menu. The MENU button itself takes you in and out of the Quake menu only I find that I get stuck in the menu. I press the button and it leaves and takes me right back in. I can't get back into the game sometimes because it just won't stay out of the freakin menu! :)

I've noticed that as well, you have to "tap" the menu button just so to get out of the menu. Seems to only really be a problem after loading a saved game for the first time.

Pickle posted on May 28 2009 at 12:38 PM said:
I know yoou're referring to Quake 1, but I noticed that the Quake 1 port also doesn't put the save files or config files in the ID1 or game folders. Is there any way you can update Quake to do this (since I'm having sections of certain levels crash in the mission packs)? I'd like to edit the save files/overwrite them, but I currently can't access them since I think it's saving to the same place quake 2 was.

? I'd like to edit the save files/overwrite them, but I currently can't access them since I think it's saving to the same place quake 2 was.
To be accurate, it's saving to /root/.tyrquake/id1/... I just noticed that this morning, and PRBoom also appears to be saving to NAND as well. Hope this gets fixed soon, since there is no easy way to navigate the Wiz' filesystem.

Something else I've been noticing about ioquake2 - this is 100% a guess on my part, but there seems to be a memory leak, or some kind of memory issue that manifests when loading a level - either loading a saved game, or moving from one "map" to another within the game. The "LOADING" message bar appears in the middle of the screen, waits a while, then the screen goes black, and you are booted back to the Wiz menu. Lately I've been making the habit of saving just before entering any of the game's "connection" corridors that take you from one part of the game to another, as these are the most likely crash points. (I am determined to play this game on the Wiz all the way to the end just out of a sense of "completeness"). The problem is not with a corrupted save (that I can tell) because if you re-run the game, load the saved game, and go through the door to the next map, it usually (but not always) works fine and once a level is loaded and running, it will continue to run until you exit it again. The problem seems to be with the larger, more complex hub levels (in particular, the Security Area and Torture Chamber levels in the third section of the game - at least that's as far as I have gotten so far.

Usually a fresh start and immediately loading the last save is enough to clear the problem and keep going. I imagine that Quake 2 is a tight fit in the Wiz' memory, so I don't know if much can be done to ensure that the engine is in a "fresh" or "clean" game state before loading a level, but I mention it in case you weren't aware of the problem. Maybe something can be done to reduce texture resolution or reducing sound channels in very memory intensive levels but I've not tried that yet.

I will fix the directory problems when I get a chance
Awesome. I'm sure it can be a thankless job dealing with user complaints, so I want you to know that your efforts are very much appreciated. I've been having a lot of fun with these games on the Wiz.

Hey Pickle,

I've been playing through Quake 2 a bit here and there and I got to the detention center (the save game name). At the end of the map when I try to go through the door and load the next level, it kicks me back to the main menu every time.

I just wanted to mention that and see if anyone else has played it far enough to see this problem too. Thanks.

Back