Internet

ssjgoku24

Still Fresh
I just have a question
I'm gonna buy a GP2X but I would like to know before I buy it,
is there a way to use internet on the GP2X, or is there a way to use wifi?

ssjgoku24 posted on Aug 11 2006 at 08:20 PM said:
I just have a question

For WiFi you need extra hardware and a wlan stick with GP2X drivers. Together that should come to about £35. You're then tied down to mains with the extra hardware. Alternatively you can connect via USBnet. Again, you're tied down to your PC.

There's no real reason to have wlan at the moment. Even if you did, there's no email cients or IM clients (unless you count Gaim from GPE).

If you want something to check email, browse the internet and such on the go, the GP2X isn't ideal. Get a PDA or something.

Don't let that put you off though, you don't need Internet to have fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
ssjgoku24 posted on Aug 11 2006 at 02:20 PM said:
I just have a question

1.Sort of
2. If you can find or compile drivers for the wifi device then Yes

Alright thanks I think I might still get it. IfI get time and a chance I might create drivers and maybe like a virtual keyboard, to use on the internet if I can port something to the GP2X

ssjgoku24 posted on Aug 11 2006 at 08:59 PM said:
Alright thanks I think I might still get it. IfI get time and a chance I might create drivers and maybe like a virtual keyboard, to use on the internet if I can port something to the GP2X
But then, why not just use a computer? :p

I was wondering, if i used the GP2X powered way, what would be a compatible hard drive? Would an ipod be able to be compatible(i don't know if ipod can be used through linux or not), and would the ipod start chrarging through my gp2x?

i_am_a_noob posted on Aug 17 2006 at 12:55 PM said:
I was wondering, if i used the GP2X powered way, what would be a compatible hard drive? Would an ipod be able to be compatible(i don't know if ipod can be used through linux or not), and would the ipod start chrarging through my gp2x?
Good questions, I would investigate with an ammeter (not on the GP2X) to test that out.

@ Yono, I think we need to collect useful information in my thread:
$20 Usb Cable Plans/parts List/instructions.

I see:
Why only rev.2?
The REV.2 GP2x supplies 5V out of the EXT port, so it is no longer required to have a 3.3v to 5v DC-DC convertor.

That is most interesting, My MK2 wasn't supplying the 5 volts, only 3.3, anyone got a pinout of the MK2 EXT that is usable?

Back