Internet And Networking

lapoubelle

Still Fresh
What exactally are the abilities of the Gp2x. I've seen the thread that wifi is possible, and I've seen mentions that the interent is possible but it may be flakey, but after searching the forums and wiki, I haven't really seen a nice list of what the GP2X can and cannot do when it comes to the internet.

Anyways, this is me asking: What exactally can i do with my GP2x as far as network and internet go. How much work does it take to set either/or up. Also, what can the GP2X NOT do when it comes to networking/internet at this point? How common is it for users to bother with getting their units online?

Also, if you can connect to the internet, would it be possible to play internet radio?

LaPoubelle posted on Dec 27 2006 at 01:29 AM said:
What exactally are the abilities of the Gp2x. I've seen the thread that wifi is possible, and I've seen mentions that the interent is possible but it may be flakey, but after searching the forums and wiki, I haven't really seen a nice list of what the GP2X can and cannot do when it comes to the internet.

Anyways, this is me asking: What exactally can i do with my GP2x as far as network and internet go. How much work does it take to set either/or up. Also, what can the GP2X NOT do when it comes to networking/internet at this point? How common is it for users to bother with getting their units online?

Also, if you can connect to the internet, would it be possible to play internet radio?

Don't bother. The GP2X can be finagled into having some Internet capability, but it's nowhere near the level of PSP/DS. It's been done as a "proof-of-concept", but is essentially beyond the reach of the casual user.

Fellow forum-goers, correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was fairly straightforward for me to get my internet connection on my linux machine shared with my GP2X through usb networking, but I had to learn a little bit of stuff first, and now I've forgotten exactly how I did it, but I started by reading a post on this forum.

Blah posted on Dec 27 2006 at 12:24 AM said:
It was fairly straightforward for me to get my internet connection on my linux machine shared with my GP2X through usb networking, but I had to learn a little bit of stuff first, and now I've forgotten exactly how I did it, but I started by reading a post on this forum.

What exactally can you do with it when its on the internet, and can it be plugged directly into a wall jack or router, or does it need to go through a computer?

Last edited by a moderator:
To connect it without additional hardware, the only possible way is directly to another computer with a usb cord. If you want to get carried away, there are cables that can extend a usb connection up to 80ft. A couple people have compiled the drivers and set up a couple usb wifi sticks to work through the usb host connection on the ext port. You can use a special cable for that or buy the BOB (break out box).

You can use some linux programs to do things like download files or access email or ftp. You can also browse the web with graphical browsers such as Links, Opera (part of Qtopia), or Firefox (part of GPE).

It all depends on what OS you use to how hard it is. If you are a Windows user, you need to know how to enable the USB Networking, and how to install the device driver (found here http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,15,1473 ), you then need to know how to share your Internet connection. This is pretty easy, and there are various guides around the net that explain how. Basically when connected to a Windows machine with USB Networking turned on, Windows picks the GP2X up as a network card, share your Internet connection with this device, and then set an IP address on the GP2X in the correct range (usually in the 192.168.0.x range) and volia. I Don;t think thats out of the reach of many GP2X users. ;)

As for what is possible, it is entirley possible for online games and streaming media to be used on the GP2X, all thats missing is the applications (quake with networking would rule, I still have many a quake lan party, and would love to kick ass right from my handheld :) ). My only complaint with the USB networking, is that it can be pretty flakey, sometimes, even though I have all my settings correct, it just wont conect to the net, even though I can ping the device. >.< Almost definatley a firmware issue, so no doubt it can be fixed.

Back