install default browser on pandora (not using sd card)

nik

I guess my pandora is one of those with "failed to execute default web browser" error from the start.

I tried launching PNDstore from "Start" -> System -> PNDStroe

works fine... Look for Firefox, found it, click install and

Permission denied balhblahblah

So I tried 

sudo /usr/bin/pndst

vague error "python2: no such file or directory" 

Which is bs, because it's RIGHT THERE, i can see it when i do ls...

So, what do I do? I want a browser on Pandora... If I choose to put one on SD card later, whatever, but there should be a browser on Pandora regardless if I have an SD card in it or not. Am I right?

Thanks in advance.

The web browser icon is just that.. it should be removed from the firmare.. the only web browser on there by default is the links2 browser and it's text based.

First off have you made the proper pandora folders on your SD card? 

/media/YOURSDCARDNAME/pandora/appdata   <-- where application data is stored

/media/YOURSDCARDNAME/pandora/menu  <-- put PNDS here and Icons will show on XFCE4 menu

/media/YOURSDCARDNAME/pandora/desktop  <-- put PNDS here and Icons will show on XFCE4 desktop

/media/YOURSDCARDNAME/pandora/apps  <-- put PNDS here and Icons will show in both menu and desktop. 

secondly the first thing you should download to the SD card is PNDManager which is a more polished application for downloading PNDs from the Repo.. but it can't fit on the NAND as there is only about 50megs of free space on the NAND.

After that it should be easy to download firefox, chrome...etc

Last edited by a moderator:
I see, I guess I could download PNDManager to SD. But can I still put a web browser to NAND after?

You know how to modify that icon to point to this new NAND browser?

Point here is I'm very adamant in having a decent or half decent (not text based) browser in nand... 

Remember the NAND only has a very limited amount of space on it. it only has 512Megs of space most of which is taken up with the operating system and has around 50Megs free..  It's not meant for storage that is what SD cards are for, If you fill it up it can brick your install and prevent you to boot into the system. 

Just put the browser you download on an SD card..

firefox 19 works well.

I tried launching PNDstore from "Start" -> System -> PNDStroe

works fine... Look for Firefox, found it, click install and

Permission denied balhblahblah

So I tried 

sudo /usr/bin/pndst

vague error "python2: no such file or directory" 

Which is bs, because it's RIGHT THERE, i can see it when i do ls...

So, what do I do? I want a browser on Pandora... If I choose to put one on SD card later, whatever, but there should be a browser on Pandora regardless if I have an SD card in it or not. Am I right?

Thanks in advance.
You can use PNDstore to install a browser on your NAND if you want, but you need to first change the owner of the /usr/pandora/apps folder (it's owned by 'root' by default, which is why you're getting the "permission denied" error). Assuming your username is 'nik', you can do this by typing:

sudo chown nik:nik /usr/pandora/apps
After that, run PNDstore as normal (not as sudo), and it'll let you install stuff into that directory.

^ Well there's what freamon suggests, but remember firefox is a 33 meg download and when you start using the browser it will cache to the NAND which could possible fill the NAND up quick..  It's up to you my advice was given with best practice in mind, if you want to potentially lock up your system that is up to you.

I could disable caching and history, but you have a point Trashy. Maybe I'll get Midori or if something small. Any way to monitor NAND disk usage? I can always uninstall if I see it's going up dangerously or near capacity. I'm guessing PNDManager can help me with that?

freamon, thanks a lot. I'll probably end up trying your method shortly... And my username is nik, good guess.

EDIT: If NAND space is such a big deal i can write a shell script to alert danger... Is there such a thing is this necessary?

Back