Individual Game/rom Icons

ThorC

This probably goes against what most people want, but personally, I like to have access to all the games I have on my GP2X in one menu, including roms and disk images. Therefore, instead of selecting an emaulator, then selecting a game, I like to have them alltogether. The problem is, of course, that there don't seem to be any icons available for single games, and it made my menu look a little ugly with a lot of generic icons.

Therefore, I spent a bit of time making small icons for all of the games which I have for megadrive, SNES, NES, gameboy, gameboy advance and Atari ST. It took me quite a while, but I was quite happy with the result. Therefore, I thought I would share them just in case anyone else is interested, even though it is highly unlikely.

In the majority of cases, the icons are of the boxes for the games or otherwise the title screen (I didn't draw or create them, just tried to find a good image, tried to find a good area which was recognisable and clear, size it down to icon size and adapt it for gp2x use, so obviously can't take any credit). As I was making the icons for myself, I picked whichever I remembered most at a glance. There aren't that many icons, about 200 in total, with most of them being for the gameboy and the Atari ST (the two systems I owned the most games on).

As I said, I like them and they work quite well for me, but obviously at 32x32 icon size, there isn't a lot of detail (they look better on the lower resolution GP2X screen than on a monitor though), and the aspect ratios may not be perfect in some cases, and it's only for the games I have on my own GP2X, but thought I would share them anyway, as you never know, just one person might find even one of them useful :)

Image preview of a few of the icons and what they look like:

gameiconsxx0.png

Download link: here (Updated to direct download link)

So, are you creating one link for every game? How can you utilize these icons?

Yes I am, I made a simple script which generates a .gpe for each rom/disk image with the commandline to run the emulator with that specific game. I then copied them into a directory and linked from gmenu2x. I even managed to workaround emulators (namely Outcast and gnuboy) which don't support the filename as a parameter (I think Outcast will support it in the next version, however) by having the script copy the rom as A (which always appears at the top of the selection), so when the emulator starts, just hit start twice and it starts playing. Not quite as nice as direct handling, but saves having to go through the menu.

Another reason for doing this is I have a random script in gmenu2x. I've got loads of games and roms on my GP2X, but I'm not very good at choosing things. Quite often, I just stick to the same thing each time or play what I played last time. With the random script, it randomly executes one of the gpe's, allowing me to play a random game or rom which I might have not chosen or forgotten about, but really enjoy :)

Additionally, I also set the screenshot parameter in gmenu2x to the directories, so if I do select an emulator and get the selector list, I get the image down the side as well

I'm probably just strange in the fact I like seeing the boxes, some of the box art was really nice, and is something lost in the emulator experience, but it brings back some nice memories, as well as brightening up the menu and giving me one-touch access to everything. Plus, I have a bad memory, so even with only a 1gb SD card, I often forget what I do have on it too!

ThorC said:
I didn't draw or create them, just tried to find a good image, tried to find a good area which was recognisable and clear, size it down to icon size and adapt it for gp2x use, so obviously can't take any credit..

Well I think you can take some credit for the work you've put in :)
Dunno if I have a use for them, but thanks for sharing, I'm sure others will.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies :)

It did take a while, but I tend to get quite determined, once I start something I keep going until it's done. Personally for me, though, the end result was worth it.

As I said, my main reason for posting was it did take a while, so just in case anyone else wants to do something like this, it might save them a bit of time :)

linoleum13 said:
You should upload this to archive.gp2x.de for easier downloading:
http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,6,0,0,1

Good work!

Thanks for the reply and comment :)

I was considering uploading it to the archive, but I didn't think it was worthwhile due to it most likely being of little use to the majority of the community. Most people prefer to access the roms from the emulators themselves, and thus would have little use for icons such as these. Plus the fact it only includes games which I own or have owned, so the selection is quite minimal. Thanks for the suggestion though. I quite hate megaupload, and agree it's a pain, so I've moved the file over to a directory on one of my sites to make it easier to directly download to try to make it easier for people though :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back