Incompatibility

jegHegy

Now on LSD!
Website
jeghegy.deviantart.com
weirdness. some of the games that people mention that are great on the PCEngine and SHOULD be working in GPEngine don't boot. it displays "Loading...", then disappears as quick as with the games that work, and then sits there with a black screen. i can go back to the menu just fine and load other roms that work. these non-working games include Military Madness and Bonk's Adventure. my only thought is that i have bad dumps (they're supposed to be from the GoodPCE set though *cough*).

on a side note, does anybody else experience a black flicker when Alien Crush switches screens on a table?

I'm trying to understand something. Is GPengine supposed to save the setting for ecah game or is it just saving the setting youhave at the time because going between certain games trying to get the best ratio of Mhz/frameskip/etc is annoying enough without having to do it every single time you start a new game.

Why do I say this? because I played Air Zonk and got a decent frame rate and got the music to play at almost the right speed and everything, I saved the settings and went on to play another game, made settings for that one then came back to air zonk later and it would freeze my GP, so either the settings arnt getting saved or some where a long the line the rom got corrupted.

I wish there were more coders out there willing to work on tightening up the Emus, while GPengine is great for the most part the little things just kinda jab you like a pin in your pants leg you cant quite find... :mellow:

Military Madness works in "US Mode" only. But I can't get "Puzzle Boy" to run. Neither in "Auto", nor in "Japanese" or "US". Hm... a pity. Guess I have to go back using the GB Version called "Qwirk".

Yes, unfortunately, Puzzle Boy is one of the games that is not supported by GPengine.

And yes "Military Madness" works in US mode only (as well as many US games)... but if you want to play the japanese version, go buy yourself the game called "Nectaris", dump it (of find the rom now that you own the game), and you'll see it works perfectly fine !

raven posted on Feb 1 2004 at 01:02 PM said:
Bonk's Adventure works for sure.
When I run bonk it kind of works except all of the graphics are all glitched out. Bonk 2 comes up and everything works except the bonk character sprite doesn't show. Many other games don't work either like the Galaga games or Darius. Do I have bad roms or are some of these incompatible? Is there a compatability list somewhere?

Last edited by a moderator:
Galaga 88 and PC Kid (both Japanese versions) as far as I can tell work perfectly using the latest good rom dumps.

Anuone got Jackie Chan to work - mine start, play the demo and then reset just the game starts to play.

DaveC posted on Mar 7 2004 at 11:10 AM said:
raven posted on Feb 1 2004 at 01:02 PM said:
Bonk's Adventure works for sure.
When I run bonk it kind of works except all of the graphics are all glitched out. Bonk 2 comes up and everything works except the bonk character sprite doesn't show. Many other games don't work either like the Galaga games or Darius. Do I have bad roms or are some of these incompatible? Is there a compatability list somewhere?
I have the same problems with Bonk2 but if you have problems with Bonk (1) it must be a bad rom.

Got Jackie Chan to work by letting it run the demo then playing after that - if I don't do this the unit just resets.

Bonk 2 you cannot see the main character but Bonk and Bonk 3 are perfect.

Ordyne would not work - I tried again tonight using the latest good roms and it still did not work. I reset the unit tried again and it worked.

Gpengine is just as good as Magic Engine on the PC - hopefully it will be updated again - I for one would not mind donating for this (Magine Engine cost me about £10).

I beg to differ, GPengine is good but not as good as magic engine... hell if I gotta pay for MagicEngine it better be near perfect. I'm almost tempted to buy it as no other TG16/PCE emulators have been as tight.

Playing on a small GP32 screen any graphical glitches are almost unnoticable so it appears as good as Magic Engine (which is good enough for me) - some games don't work but most of the important ones do.

Its also alot better playing on the GP32 screen than it is the PC Engine GTs - I have run quite a few side by side.

raven posted on Mar 11 2004 at 04:30 PM said:
DaveC posted on Mar 7 2004 at 11:10 AM said:
Is there a compatability list somewhere?

There's at least one. In fact, there's at least the one I made :D

It's been posted on www.gp32emu.com but has suffered quite a bit when the site changed style. Plus, it has 2 flaws, one of which is that it doesn't mention that the Galaga works IF you play them as first game after lauching the emu.

P.S. If you want the updated list in text format, just P.M me, I'll send you ;)

Prehaps we need to start refreshing the list to better reflect the games they've gottn to play with no problems and with. For instance:

Blazing Lazers/Gunhed: (us/jap)Graphics break after first boss
Silent Debuggers: Doesn't work
Bonk: Works fine
Bonk 2: Bonk sprite dosen't show
Bonk 3: Works fine

...and so one and so forth.

uhh, we must be speaking of different lists ! I did not make extensive tests to miss what you said :blink:

I mean : I did write the comments you mentioned, and even more (except for the graphic break after first boss for blazing lazers/gunhed... strange problem in fact , things like that are not ot be expected to happen usually)

Back