Improving the keyboard background light

If you're *really* good with a soldering iron I bet you could replace them :p

A matrix of RGB LEDs would have been really fun! (think disco dancefloor, demo box, or ambi-light) :
Silicone-B.jpg

But the PMIC(?) is probably limited in how many outputs it can control. The keypad LEDs are already grouped into only two or three groups, not able to toggle them individually. Obviously you can't swap the white LEDs for RGB ones without having extra solder pads there and power/control signals from somewhere.

I'm sure it could be done /somehow/, but you'd need to add your own LED driver, having R, G and B outputs for the LEDs (wired individually or grouped), and that needs to interface with the SoC somehow.

At least there are *some* controllable RGB LEDs in the Pyra to play with.

Last edited:
In addition to the problem with trying to add RGB LEDs, the key markings are colored, so it could play with those in weird ways. I also wanted colored keyboard backlighting, but white makes the most sense.

are there going to be any other colors for the backlight on the keyboard?

I would love red backlight for keyboard, as it is nice on eyes on low ambient light and very cool, but white is a mute neutral color, and since there are color symbols on transparent mate, red backlight could be wrong: it would be necessary to change second symbols color in keymate, and it would be expensive to do differents keymat for each possible color (someone could want it yellow, blue, green...).

My PC remote (rii mini) got blacklight LEDs which shine through the white button labels, really nice.

Back