Impractical Pandora-successor names

Honestly, I'd prefer if we moved away from the Greek Mythos for the next name. If we must use mythological references, there are tons of Gaelic, Norse, and Japanese myths we could dig something out from.

-God Ginrai
 Thordora!
 That brought a smile to my face. :)

Honestly, I'd prefer if we moved away from the Greek Mythos for the next name. If we must use mythological references, there are tons of Gaelic, Norse, and Japanese myths we could dig something out from.-God Ginrai
The Bento Box!
The bento is not a myth. Maybe we should call it the "Homemade (by girlfriend) Bento Box" :p

-God Ginrai

Honestly, I'd prefer if we moved away from the Greek Mythos for the next name. If we must use mythological references, there are tons of Gaelic, Norse, and Japanese myths we could dig something out from.-God Ginrai
 Thordora!
 That brought a smile to my face. :)  
The Bento Box!
The bento is not a myth. Maybe we should call it the "Homemade (by girlfriend) Bento Box" :p -God Ginrai
Here's your brand new Bento Box

AND EKIANJO COULD MAKE THE COOLEST BOX ACTUALLY IN JAPANESE HOLY CRAP

Also, "mj" is a decidedly un-English consonant-cluster for a largely English-speaking customer-base.

I would personally avoid names which aren't straight forwards to spell/type, and ones that if you say the name to someone they don't hear you properly. I'd also steer away from long names. There is also something to be said about not having a name that ends with 'm', or 'n' for instance (as they can sound like each other the way people speak these days). Also the letter 'z' is pronounced differently 'zee' vs 'zed', which is a problem for the BlackBerry Z10 for example.

That said, a lot of things I think would be crazy (having the same system with different names in different countries: Genesis/MegaDrive, NES/Famicom, SNES/Super Famicom, etc.) seem to have been done by big players, and to me the name 'Wii' was so stupid when the console released, yet now it is natural and short. Although, to be fair, these companies have the resources to make any name stick, so probably aren't great ones to follow. Even big company names, like Sony, apparently are problematic (I don't think the way Sony it is generally pronounced is not how it was intended to be pronounced in the first place).

I wonder how well a name like 'N2' would be received, so you could have 'I want a Dragonbox N2 for Christmas' kind of like how you'd say 'I want an Intel P2 for Christmas'. Seems like there are a few electronic products around that use simple names like this (for better or worse?). Naturally most of the time it would just be shortened 'My friend showed me Quake 4 running on the N2, looks pretty sweet'.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back