Impractical Pandora-successor names

Binky

Death's Steed
Staff member
People keep throwing around possible names for a future clamshell Linux gaming computer. Many of them can't work. Many sound cheesy. None are agreed-upon.

I've seen:

P2 - ED has said it won't be called pandora

Myriad - Exo thinks this is terrible

Kronos - The name of ED's server, bu still nice

Dragonfly - already taken in the field of portable audio electronics

Dragonscale - Sounds naff

Dragonbox - too obvious

Super panodra 3.0 - name reserved for Craig's attempt

So what should we call it? (on a temporary basis while extolling the virtues of three screens and four batteries)

How about TPS for The Pandora's Successor?

or Alice. Alice is a nice name :p

Picked out from below:

Phoenix

Pyrra

Last edited by a moderator:
People keep throwing around possible names for a future clamshell Linux gaming computer. Many of them can't work. Many sound cheesy. None are agreed-upon.

I've seen:

P2 - ED has said it won't be called pandora

Kronos - The name of ED's server, bu still nice

Dragonfly - already taken in the field of portable audio electronics

Dragonscale - Sounds naff

Dragonbox - too obvious

Super panodra 3.0 - name reserved for Craig's attempt

So what should we call it? (on a temporary basis while extolling the virtues of three screens and four batteries)

How about TPS for The Pandora's Successor?

or Alice. Alice is a nice name :p
Phoenix?

Westonbox?

Assuming he'll play a part again.

I'm not positive but I don't think I criticized the name itself, I just asked people stop referring to it with that name as if it were already chosen.

Now this one I don't particularly like ;p (Have to say I'm flattered that my individual taste has any particular bearing on this! Please tell me that isn't actually the case!) Actually I think Pandora itself was a pretty lousy name too. Not as ridiculous as Dingoo or Caanoo, but I'd probably rather have ridiculous than unoriginal and ambiguous. But frankly I don't think the name will really matter. I can think of several times where a game console had a really dumb name ("Wii" anyone?) but eventually it still became natural enough.

I do think that if there's a deliberate motion on ED's part to not give it a name with Pandora in the title that kind of implies not naming it something otherwise related to Pandora. It sounds like he wants to distance the product from that, maybe so Craig can use it.

Well, some of Craig's "latest" post (like months ago xD) more or less hinted that he was still thinking about making a "pandora 2" iCP2-based. (But he needs iCP2 for that :D )

IIRC, ED said that MWeston would probably take part in the successor, but not making the complete device. Work, real life, etc. are in the way ;)

That's why he is in contact with some people that can do electronic engineering.

About the name, as long as it's not completely ridiculous, I'm in. I liked Myriad and its 6 hexagons logo (I was sooo tempted to put pandora logo in the middle blank zone ^^).

Does this thread need a poll?

---

How about EOPS - Evildragon's OpenPandora Sucessor?

Well, I'd be happy to get a good name suggestion :D

It should be something easy to remember and that doesn't hit 1000s of Google results when you search for it.

^ Agree, it should be something uniquely named. It's a pain in the arse searching for Pandora with all that jewellery etc

I suggest eartzydufjhbnkv that shouldn't get many hits on google, it's pretty unique xD

From this (wot I just made), pyrrah or dragonscale would be best. "Pandora" is only included for comparison, since the name is taken, and the google results pages are already flooded with mentions of this project.

yubi.png

"Phoenix" would be a really bad name!

Well, I'd be happy to get a good name suggestion :D

It should be something easy to remember and that doesn't hit 1000s of Google results when you search for it.
I reckon Dragonfly is the best suggestion to date. Don't see the issue with the name being 'taken' by a portable audio device as there would be no direct competition.

Good look finding something easy to remember that does not return thousands of Google results ;)

A search on Pandora finds over 93 million results but our Pandora appears at number 2, not too shabby.

Back