Images, Sources, Rootfs!

I've success at last! I ask my friend to prepare my card for me and he did it. Now my Pandora boots from SD card flawlessly. Do no why it doesn't work before, but it must be some error between keyboard and chair. Anyway in boot.txt is slightly difference against readme suggestion.
readme boot.txt:
Code:
setenv bootargs debug root=/dev/mmcblk0p1 rw rootdelay=2 console=ttyS0,115200n8 vram=6272K omapfb.vram=0:3000K
ext2load mmc 0 0x80300000 /boot/uImage-2.6.27.46-omap1
bootm 0x80300000
vs my boot.txt:
Code:
setenv bootargs debug root=/dev/mmcblk0p1 rw rootdelay=2 console=ttyS0,115200n8 vram=6272K omapfb.vram=0:3000K
ext2load mmc 0 0x80300000 /boot/uImage
bootm 0x80300000

Is it possible to boot from a USB stick? I added a boot.txt to it (with root=/dev/sda1) but it's not showing up in the boot menu like the same filesystem does on my SDCards.

Drack said:
Is it possible to boot from a USB stick? I added a boot.txt to it (with root=/dev/sda1) but it's not showing up in the boot menu like the same filesystem does on my SDCards.
Nope. Go add / enable / figure out support for our usb host controller to u-boot, then it might work someday...

Last edited by a moderator:
hi,

on my page I offer to download a 2 GB ready to boot image (230 MB) for a sd-card.

the site is in german, but with google-translator at the top of the page you should get the idea.

sd-boot-card creation on windows-platform is simple:
- download image
- decompress it with 7-zip
- use usb-image-tool to write it on a 2GB sd-card
- put it in your pandora and test it
- if everything is ok, rename /boot.txt in /autoboot.txt

after first install, you can change the system to your needs and back it up with usb-image-tool.

if your original boot-sd-card fails, you will have a back up to write it on another one.

quite simple I think.

this system could be expanded to make 'custom-images', with different preinstalled games, toos and even localisation.

greetings

Just been scanning this thread and think I spotted people writing their boot.txt files on Windows? Be aware that windows saves text documents in cr/lf format. Bash scripts, and perhaps boot files, need to be saved in lf format. You can fix this by opening the file in mousepad, clicking on 'save as' and selecting LF as the format.

so managed to boot firmware off SD card, but i can't seem to launch any programs. i get the message that the union-file sytem is not mounted?

edit/

hmm seemed root did not have access on my Sd (i had previoulsy chown to my userame doh!)

Just wanted to report success on booting from a 2gb sd card. The only hiccup was that after getting about halfway through the boot it didn't seem to be doing anything for a good 5 minutes, but I just left it and it eventually came up with the first-boot menu (I read somewhere on the wiki that the first boot is meant to take ages, which is why I'd thought I'd give a chance, but I thought that info was out of date since my first boot from NAND didn't take anywhere near as long).

Back