Image Macros

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fishbong said:
Unfortunately i checked back on the thread when dcgm´s post was already "moderated", so i'm a bit curious as to what he originally posted.
I didn't remove anything. I merely replaced the image with a link to the image. In a thread bemoaning the over-use of large images of questionable comedic value, I felt that a large image of questionable comedic value containing "STFU" was a little much. Had DCGM made a convincing argument to go along with the image, it might have been different.

If nothing else, over-use of pointless images is a waste of bandwidth and page space. While nearly everybody has broadband at home these days, some of us also like to check the forums from our phones as well. I don't particularly enjoy having to wait while several hundred K of unnecessary images load up every time I open a thread - and I know I'm not the only one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chip said:
If nothing else, over-use of pointless images is a waste of bandwidth and page space. While nearly everybody has broadband at home these days, some of us also like to check the forums from our phones as well. I don't particularly enjoy having to wait while several hundred K of unnecessary images load up every time I open a thread - and I know I'm not the only one.
If this were a real issue the forum would be set to auto-link all inline images. What client waits for all images to load before displaying the webpage? Certainly not mine. I agree with your central point (in general, although in this particular case DCGM was making a joke, which you have now ruined) but you are clutching at straws here.

Also, I hope you're using the lo-fi version of the forums, because this page alone is 900 KB of images, HTML, CSS and javascript. DCGM's image macro is 40 KB. PlopperZ's avatar is 650 KB!

Rico said:
Chip said:
If this were a real issue the forum would be set to auto-link all inline images. What client waits for all images to load before displaying the webpage? Certainly not mine. I agree with your central point (in general, although in this particular case DCGM was making a joke, which you have now ruined) but you are clutching at straws here.

That paragraph was just me stating my feelings on the whole unnecessary images topic. It had nothing to do with why I changed DCGM's image to a link.

When I got promoted to moderator a few days ago I figured I should actually read the board rules that I'm supposed to enforce. I know they're more like guidelines that rules (especially in Off Topic), but they're pretty clear about large images unrelated to the subject of the thread, as well as offensive content. I weighed that along with the fact that the post contained no meaningful points supporting the use of the image, points which may have shifted the tone of the post to something a little less rough. Then, instead of simply deleting the post or changing the link to something a little more friendly, I changed the image to a link that pointed out both that the picture contained profanity and was sort-of relavent to the discussion (insofar as it made the poster's feelings on the subject very clear). Those who don't want to bother with it can now avoid it, and those that are interested are only one click away from comedy bronze.

I didn't just take one look at the post and edit it because I could. I'm trying to take this whole moderator thing seriously. If everybody thinks I'm way out of line, then maybe I need to look at these things differently. Maybe it will take me a while to find the right balance, but I still think I made the right call here.

Also, I hope you're using the lo-fi version of the forums, because this page alone is 900 KB of images, HTML, CSS and javascript. DCGM's image macro is 40 KB. PlopperZ's avatar is 650 KB!

I use lo-fi as much as I can, but you cannot post replies in lo-fi mode. Lo-fi also doesn't track what posts you have and haven't viewed, so you have to keep a mental log of post counts for popular threads to know if there are new posts or not.

Another thing that has been bothering me lately is that every topic that gets moderated torns into huge drama.

But while we´re at it, if noone reported a post, i don't think it needs moderation. Just my opinion. I´m not telling anyone what to do.

Lurkio said:
Orkie said:
So why is Lurkio's picture uncensored?
Favouritism. ;)+1
And thus the iron handed rule of Chairman Chip begins. Welcome to [THE REST OF THIS POST WAS RETRACTED TO PROTECT THE SANCTITY OF THE INTERNET]

Favouritism. wink.gif

+1
And thus the iron handed rule of Chairman Chip begins. Welcome to [THE REST OF THIS POST WAS RETRACTED TO PROTECT THE SANCTITY OF THE INTERNET]

<sarcasm>OMG! EVERYBODY WATCH OUT CHIP'S GONE MAD WITH POWER!</sarcasm>
EDIT:Just made it obvious....

Lurkio said:
Orkie said:
Favouritism. ;)

Lurkio said:
Fishbong said:
so to everyone posting image macros: Cut it out.
NO!

No it's not meant to be funny, it's meant to be a statement of intent.

EDITED, BECAUSE OF POSSIBLE FAVORITISM, By Trooper.

Lurkio said:
PlopperZ said:
<sarcasm>OMG! EVERYBODY WATCH OUT CHIP'S GONE MAD WITH POWER!</sarcasm>
Artists representation displayed below. ;)

Click.

Click

waffles said:
what did chad post?
sparta?
That is MADNESS!

No - my post is uneditted. It was my attempt to do something like this:

200805281128.jpg

Lurkio said:
Click.

Well considering a large amount of photos on this site are facepalms (such as this). I think we need a facepalm emoticon.

PlopperZ said:
Well considering a large amount of photos on this site are facepalms (such as this). I think we need a facepalm emoticon.
facepalm.gif

This thread has gone totally against the whole point of why the original poster created it.

Off topic or not, This thread is turning into a pointless spam and whine fest.

LOCKED!!!

Trooper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back