If Given The Choice, Would You Want Pandora With Beta Or Release Os?

Re: Pandora original pre-orders

• Ship hardware ASAP, I'll reflash every day if needed!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ship hardware when OS is halfway useful

• Ship the units when OS is pretty much feature complete and stable, I don't like too many suprises to

• I didn't pre-order a Pandora

• Total voters

Personally it seems to me that fallable human beings rarely achieve higher than their aim - shoot for the stars and you might reach the moon, shoot for the moon and you might reach orbit. That kind of thing. Always, ALWAYS aim for "done and excellent". Don't aim low, you will score lower :(

Nobody (ok... a large majority of people), if given the choice to release Pandora with amazing firmware on lets say February tenth, would opt to instead release beta firmware instead. I think it's more about should they wait to ship till it is in a higher state of production as far as the OS goes. (I think)
anyway, the 'I didn't preorder' is usally there to filter out the people whose votes aren't really valid since they aren't the applicable party here. People said they would like to see the results, but if I'm not mistaken theres a 'take me to the results' button

In my experience, software is NEVER done. Usually it barely achieves the state that I would consider "beta".

Having said that I voted to get it out asap, because I'm afraid I'd never see the Pandora if they tried to wait until the software is "finished".

In any case once software is released to the public, bugs are found and sometimes fixed much faster.

I voted for shipping it ASAP since it looks like it will be usable to the point I need from it already, and since it isn't as easy to brick as a PSP I think I will be fine.

Besides, as with the PSP there will be new features and changes to existing one's as time goes by (though I doubt we will see anything along the lines of the PSP's "security features" as Sony calls them).

Just out of curiousity what state would the OS be in if it was shipped ASAP? Better question what shape is it in now?

If it ran a SNES emu at full speed I wouldn't even care if it had a fancy OS at all right now. It is not like I need to surf the net (WiFi hotspots aren't really too practical for me I have other net capable phone, computer anyway), Run games, type messages, play MP3s, read books multitasking all at one time anyway.

But it will be released with a full window OS anyway, nothing unfinished or "beta" will be sold from what I hear.

mali said:
White Demon said:
why do people always put 'I didn't preorder' in these polls? People who didn't preorder shouldn't even be here, so there's no reason for it. Please don't encourage them.

Why shouldn't potential second batchers inform themselves here? I find that perfectly ok :)
Yes but this is a poll specifically aimed at people who DID preorder, so the 'I didn't preorder' option on the poll is useless here.

B-ZaR said:
some of us might actually be interested in the results?

Doesn't mean you actually need to vote. That's what the 'show results' button is for.

Last edited by a moderator:
DisgruntleElf said:
Just out of curiousity what state would the OS be in if it was shipped ASAP? Better question what shape is it in now?
Heh... Much better shape than the GP2X firmware currently is, actually.

ED's demos show what we've got right now. We're doing fit and finish things on the launcher, a few drivers (incl. very probably the 3D support...), and things of that sort right now.

DaveC said:
But it will be released with a full window OS anyway, nothing unfinished or "beta" will be sold from what I hear.
Got it in one. You could fully use it right now, even- it's just not as usable as it could be and we're real close to what we've all envisioned.

White Demon said:
mali said:
White Demon said:
why do people always put 'I didn't preorder' in these polls? People who didn't preorder shouldn't even be here, so there's no reason for it. Please don't encourage them.

Why shouldn't potential second batchers inform themselves here? I find that perfectly ok :)
Yes but this is a poll specifically aimed at people who DID preorder, so the 'I didn't preorder' option on the poll is useless here.

B-ZaR said:

Doesn't mean you actually need to vote. That's what the 'show results' button is for.

I guess it's just a filler. Anyway, what about people (like me) who missed the 1st batch and want to grab one later (such as the last 200-300)? don't we get a say if we get the last few?

Pseudonym said:
White Demon said:
mali said:
White Demon said:

B-ZaR said:

I guess it's just a filler. Anyway, what about people (like me) who missed the 1st batch and want to grab one later (such as the last 200-300)? don't we get a say if we get the last few?
+1
I didn't have the money. It's not that I didn't want to get in the first batch. :huh: Anyways I voted for the ship asap option.. w/e it is called.

Pseudonym said:
what about people (like me) who missed the 1st batch and want to grab one later (such as the last 200-300)? don't we get a say if we get the last few?

Sure you do. Just vote anyway.

But as for 2nd batchers... well, the poll doesn't really apply to them, since by the time the 2nd batch is out I would say the OS would definitely be complete and all bugs worked out etc by then.

?
If the last option wouldn't be there, non-preorder people would vote one of the other options. That would falsify the results. It perfectly makes sense to have that option in the poll. And also personally I happily welcome everyone interested in Pandora, pre-ordered or not.
But honestly, discussing this is off topic and useless ;)

White Demon said:
B-ZaR said:

I actually commented on the "People who didn't preorder shouldn't even be here, so there's no reason for it. Please don't encourage them." bit, not your count on the existence of the option.

B-ZaR said:
I actually commented on the "People who didn't preorder shouldn't even be here, so there's no reason for it. Please don't encourage them." bit, not your count on the existence of the option.
Ditto.

Bring it on. Alpha or beta quality software and operating systems is no problem as long as they won't harm the hardware (bricking, for example). It's been a joy to see this project grow from an idea to an almost finished product, seeing what the team has achieved and the obstacles they have overcome, and it will be equally interesting to see the software become adapted and optimized over time. It's part of the charm of open source, being allowed to follow the progress of a development process so closely even though you're an end-user, and being able to affect the direction development is taking by contributing in whatever way you can, with ideas, feedback, code or other assets.

So, the sooner the hardware is shipped, the better. As long as the system is unbrickable, it won't matter to me, or any other first-batchers I guess, that the OS isn't fully functional or optimized. The more developers that have the hardware, the sooner the OS, drivers and other software will mature to a point where 'non-geek' users are comfortable with it.

Halfway usable please! That way I won't be scared to test things. Not that I would be really, it's just if i heard one bad thing happen, say "And wifi then stopped working, forever" I would never try anything haha.

I can't wait for the point where we're drooling at an upcoming feature/app, all going "The v2.0 update looks awesome. When is it available?!" Also, I hope there will be a blog better/just as good as the PSP-Updates one on QJ, so frequent interesting blog posts (well, PSP updates has gone massively down hill).

I don't think it's the software causing a later shipping date

I don't mind that the OS isn't completely polished and everything but I do hope that setting up the wifi will be relative easy (with GUI).

Regards

André

Back