Identifying use cases for the OpenPandora 2.

rufus777

Still Fresh
In the engineering biz, people identify "use cases" to justify new designs, meaning specific ways that a design will be used and useful in the real world. Use cases are not invented excuses -- they have to identify real value to real people.

If there's no use case, or only a few, no action should be taken.

For example:

Gaming Use Case

Stakeholders: Casual gamers who like retro games

Situation:

1. Stakeholder is not at home or near laptop -> no access to PC games or gaming console.

Stakeholder wants to play video game, but not some lame phone-based game.

2. Stakeholder takes out Pandora device, boots Linux.

3. Stakeholder uses pen to tap on icon for gaming software, selects game.

4. Stakeholder plays game using built-in controls.

There are a plethora of use cases for the Pandora 1... but identifying those use cases for the P2 is somewhat more difficult as none of us yet have a clear idea of what the P2 is going to be!

We can't even be certain that the P2 will meet all the use cases that the P1 does... unfortunately. :(

Perhaps a better question would be: What use cases are we currently aware of that are not being met? ... and in an effort to meet them could influence the design of the P2...*hopefully*

P.s. I'm posing this question in relation to this current community, not potential untapped markets.

I think he's saying we should compile a list of use cases to come up with a design?

• making notes
  • editing 'office' documents
  • watching videos
  • use as a pocket audio player
  • web browsing
  • playing games with physical controls
  • playing android-touchscreen games
  • codeing
  • doodles/graphics

• Programming
  • Gaming
  • Editing Documents on the move
  • Portable Web
  • Media Player
  • Graphics
  • Reading

Probably many many more...

I always classify the behaviour of the Pandora into four categories of devices.Not everything is a perfect fit, but it helps me think about various uses for the device. In my opinion the strong selling point of the Pandora is that it combines all of these into a single device with great battery life and without truly making major sacrifices on any of them.

Code:
|-----------------+---------------------|

| Entertainment   | Productivity        |

| Gaming handheld | desktop environment |

| Media player    | pda/pim/apps        |

Gaming handheld

• launcher: MiniMenu
  • competitors: Gaming handhelds by e.g. Nintendo and SONY.
  • comment: requires good gaming controls.

Use cases:

• Playing homebrew games
  • Playing game ports
  • Console emulation
  • Desktop (game) emulation (e.g. QEMU/DosBox)

The quality of the Pandora 1 controls is not the greatest yet and the desktop game emulation is fairly weak (though taking some great steps lately).

Media player

• launcher: XBMC
  • competitors: audio/video players and tablets. I.e. devices predominantly aimed at media consumption.
  • comment: requires good audio and a large quality screen.

Use cases:

• music player
  • video player
  • ebook reader
  • image viewer

The video playback on the Pandora 1 is sub-par. Native 720p H264 playback and a good tv-out is a must.

pda/pim/phone

• launcher: Android
  • competitors: all smartphones
  • comment: typically use multitouch screens to compensate for the lack of buttons and controls.

Use cases:

• agenda, planner, contact manager
  • note taking and brainstorming
  • dictionary and encyclopedia
  • email, messengers, voip
  • document viewer
  • voice recorder
  • calculator and unit/currency conversion
  • navigation
  • photography
  • (web browsing)

Obviously the Pandora is not a phone which limits its appeal in this market. Software and OS could be improved for this category (e.g. a good Android port).

desktop environment

• launcher: Angstrom
  • competitors: mids
  • comment: requires a full keyboard

Use cases:

• content creation (media, documents, graphics)
  • software development
  • multi-tasking
  • web browsing

This seems to be a fairly small market as for many consumers a netbook is small enough. I consider the Pandora to be a strong player in this market (when ignoring production problems).

• Programming

OK, but a use case is not the same as a purpose.

A use case identifies the step by step process and the stakeholder(s). It's by careful analysis that you identify where areas need improvement.

So for instance:

Stakeholders: Students of computer science

Process:

1. Stakeholder takes device everywhere and while in class, he learns there is a programming assignment.

2. Assignment requires using Scheme language, so Stakeholder seeks to install that language.

3. Using Wifi, Stakeholder checks whether a package is available. It isn't.

4. Stakeholder downloads source tarball and tries to build, but the keyboard is clumsy.

5. Stakeholder waits until he gets home, logs into the device using desktop computer, builds and installs the language.

6. Stakeholder completes the assignment, either logged in or using a Bluetooth keyboard.

7. Later, maybe Stakeholder forgets to hand in the assignment until the last moment, but because he always has the Pandora on him, it's no problem.

8. Stakeholder turns on Wifi and emails his assignment to the teaching assistant.

Last edited by a moderator:
desktop environment

Use cases:

• software development
  • multi-tasking
  • web browsing

This seems to be a fairly small market as for many consumers a netbook is small enough. I consider the Pandora to be a strong player in this market (when ignoring production problems).
This, mainly writing, turned out to be my primary use case (my primary reason for purchase was actually format-shifting most of my classic games so that I could play them on the go). I was after something to fill that requirement ever since I couldn't afford a Psion Series 3 as a kid!

The palmtop market is probably bigger than we think. The problem is that there aren't really many options right now - as far as I've been able to find, it's just the Pandora and the Sharp Netwalker... I frequently hear folks missing the Psions, and HPs, and so on - no-one wants our money!

capacitive-touch devices (tablets, (most) smartphones) are hopeless for productivity, so the Pandora has an advantage over them. The keyboard & screen should be improved if the palmtop market is to be attracted.

---

I think that this problem might be best though out in reverse:

What is the P1 poor at, and how could could this be improved.

e.g.

P1 is poor at video playback

Solved by better graphics processing, with better drivers

Also possibly bigger screen.

• Programming

OK, but a use case is not the same as a purpose.

A use case identifies the step by step process and the stakeholder(s). It's by careful analysis that you identify where areas need improvement.

So for instance:

Stakeholders: Students of computer science

Process:

1. Stakeholder takes device everywhere and while in class, he learns there is a programming assignment.

2. Assignment requires using Scheme language, so Stakeholder seeks to install that language.

3. Using Wifi, Stakeholder checks whether a package is available. It isn't.

4. Stakeholder downloads source tarball and tries to build, but the keyboard is clumsy.

5. Stakeholder waits until he gets home, logs into the device using desktop computer, builds and installs the language.

6. Stakeholder completes the assignment, either logged in or using a Bluetooth keyboard.

7. Later, maybe Stakeholder forgets to hand in the assignment until the last moment, but because he always has the Pandora on him, it's no problem.

8. Stakeholder turns on Wifi and emails his assignment to the teaching assistant.

I know exactly what you mean, I was just listing purposes for now, so that use cases could be identified for them. What might be a good idea, before listing use cases, may be to find out what sort of things people are using their pandoras for, then how we can best cater for the general trend.

What might be a good idea, before listing use cases, may be to find out what sort of things people are using their pandoras for, then how we can best cater for the general trend.
That might be best done in the summer when another couple of thousand people have Pandoras?

What might be a good idea, before listing use cases, may be to find out what sort of things people are using their pandoras for, then how we can best cater for the general trend.
That might be best done in the summer when another couple of thousand people have Pandoras?

Hopefully in Two Months...

desktop environment

Use cases:

• software development
  • multi-tasking
  • web browsing

This, mainly writing, turned out to be my primary use case (my primary reason for purchase was actually format-shifting most of my classic games so that I could play them on the go). I was after something to fill that requirement ever since I couldn't afford a Psion Series 3 as a kid!

The palmtop market is probably bigger than we think. The problem is that there aren't really many options right now - as far as I've been able to find, it's just the Pandora and the Sharp Netwalker... I frequently hear folks missing the Psions, and HPs, and so on - no-one wants our money!
I had the HP Jornada 720. It was my first pocket pc until I got water on it and trashed it later on. It was good while last though. I remember trying to do all the thing I do on the pc on it. It was a bulky little thing but I liked showing it off at work. I hated HP for not improving on it. It seem like so many of these big companies are doing this, they make these devices but because they are not being use by a bunch a school girls facebook fiends, they completely turn their backs on it.

I had the HP Jornada 720. It was my first pocket pc until I got water on it and trashed it later on. It was good while last though. I remember trying to do all the thing I do on the pc on it. It was a bulky little thing but I liked showing it off at work. I hated HP for not improving on it. It seem like so many of these big companies are doing this, they make these devices but because they are not being use by a bunch a school girls facebook fiends, they completely turn their backs on it.

So you're saying we should do it with a pink case, bundle it with a mifi device and market it as a facebook access device? ;) *grins ducks & runs*

Back