Idea: Combined nub mode "2 mouse buttons & scrolling on 1 axis"

Users: What do you think about the idea? 
Porg: I've been meaning to ask you for a while now - are you a dwarf? How tall are you?

D.

Last edited by a moderator:
Attached a gzipped (so it is accepted as an attachment) uImage including the patch. I reverted my charging hack and used the original kernel configuration. There will be the capability to control non-existent leds but that should not be an issue.

To install the kernel gunzip it first, then either place it on the nand /boot partition and edit bootmenu.txt to include an entry for it, or make an equivalent boot.txt and place it on an SD card.

As an example attached below is my bootmenu.txt that offers the ability to boot a kernel named uImage-E. Either edit that to say uImage-mbscroll or name the kernel uImage-E.

Here is the added single line:

Code:
Boot experimental 3.2|setenv bootargs 'ubi.mtd=4 ubi.mtd=3 root=ubi0:rootfs rootfstype=ubifs rw rootflags=bulk_read vram=6272K omapfb.vram=0:3000K mmc_core.removable=0 quiet'; ubi part boot && ubifsmount boot && ubifsload ${loadaddr} uImage-E && bootm ${loadaddr}

After you have booted with the kernel image (right shoulder during boot and select your added entry or SD1) you can change nub mode eg. like this from the terminal:

echo mbscroll > /proc/pandora/nub1/mode

That changes the right nub to the new mode. Say nub0 for left nub.

And I can confirm that the new mode does click and scroll... But I cant say anything on how well it works actually.

Attachments

• uImage-mbscroll.gz
    2.5 MB · Views: 184
  • bootmenu.txt
    1.2 KB · Views: 190
@urjaman: I tested your experimental kernel with the click'n'scroll nub mode:

• The feeling of this mode is great! Very sophisticated input mode!
  • Scrolling up/down and clicking left and right worked.
  • Issueing a double click through the nub was also possible, after setting a high enough double click interval in XFCE-Menu > Settings > Desktop > Mouse > Behavior > Double Click > Time (in milliseconds). Experiment yourself with the value.
  • What is yet not possible "click'n'hold and object, then scroll, then drop the object" for 2 reasons:
    Your nub code does yet not allow it: There is a simple cutoff: Either mouseclick or scroll.
    No transition-zones ("southwest" etc…) as I suggested.
    I.e. from 190-260°, which would keep mouse-down (keep object dragging) AND scroll down at the same time.
  • When the focus is on the XFCE-Desktop, the nub up/down (=scroll wheel) makes windows very quickly show and hide.
    I think that the scroll wheel causes a switch between virtual desktops.
    I have no idea where to de-activate it.
    I thought I had virtual desktops dis-abled anyways...
    Hopefully this is easily solve-able.
  • I tried this operation with these applications:
    In gedit I tried to click'n'hold a text clipping, scroll, and drop it. But for the mentioned reasons it was not possible. As soon as the scrolling began, the object was released again.
  • In the Thunar file browser I tried to move one file into a window with a long folder listing, scroll down, and drop it into the bottom folder. Again, as soon as I started scrolling, the "grip on the file" was lost.

[*]Setting the nub back to another mode worked seamlessly!
  • Used the instruction from the wiki page on Nubs.
  • As I saw this wiki page, I updated it, and mentioned that there is a new experimental mode, and linked to this our thread.
[*]AFTERWORD: Booting with your kernel "felt longer". Maybe it is a more complex kernel (dunno) or kernel cache rebuilding or something like that happens (don't know the boot process of the Pandora). Booting back into the normal kernel worked without any problems and nubs also worked as usual.

@ZXDunny: My way of adressing/writing reflects briefness/politeness and not a lack of self consciousness as your dwarf reference suggests. 

Btw, I am almost 1,90m. 

@ZXDunny: But on the other side, someone who uses a toilet seat as one's avatar icon, shows humor.

Therefore I now take your dwarf reference the nice way!  ^_^

@ZXDunny: But on the other side, someone who uses a toilet seat as one's avatar icon, shows humor.

Therefore I now take your dwarf reference the nice way!  ^_^
I ask merely for information. You see, where I am from a PORG is a "Person Of Restricted Growth", hence my question as to the origin of your name. No offense intended :)

D.

@ZXDunny: Thanks for that new information! I have been using this online nickname for over an decade, and nobody has told/asked me so far!

Originally I used putzfetzenORG (an (Austrian-)German pun, literally "cleaning rag organisation"), which I later shortened to porg.

@urjaman: I am no in the need to reflash my Pandora (as I did not run the OS 1.5.4 upgrader twice, and thus WiFi disappeared).

But after booting with the R shoulder button pressed, the entry "Boot from SD" does not appear anymore, and I strongly suspect this has to do with the modifications I did while these tests.

On the SD I removed all boot text files, and on the NAND in /boot/ I restored the official bootmenu.txt

Nevertheless I don't get the "Boot from SD" option in the boot menu…

UPDATE: Seems to be totally unrelated. I tried reflashing with another SD card and it worked. Something must have been wrong with that SD card.

Strange though, as it is my primary SD card, and all PNDs on it work fine. But maybe just a minor flaw in the partition table or so, which the OS after booting tolerates, but the boot loader does not tolerate.

Back