Possible nub issue

I know I'm not the first person to have this particular issue but I don't think I've heard of anyone having this issue after a long history of NOT having it. Um. Let me explain.

My left nub has started behaving strangely. It, upon start up, will act normally and then will abruptly stop understanding what the direction "left" is after a brief period of use (by which I mean that it either doesn't move the mouse left or it does so unacceptably slowly). I have used the Pandora Input Tester to document this. The max axis movement in any direction is 32 (32y for up, 32x for right and negatives for down and left). The left nub, when working properly, will respond to the full -32x-axis sensitivity (it goes left). When it malfunctions it is lucky to get -4x-axis sensitivity (it don't go left). Sometimes you can maneuver it left but usually not.

I have "solved" this by swapping the functions of the nubs with each other (left is now buttons, right is mouse movement) and relying on ABmouse a lot. Resetting the nubs in the nub configurator DOES fix it but it has to be done so often that it is not a real solution. Now, when I move the left nub around, specifically right, there actually is a tactile irregularity. Like a faint grinding. The right nub by comparison is uniformly smooth in all directions.

Is it possible that the left nub is dirty on the inside (I did somewhat recently have to open my pandora to take pictures for an unrelated repair). If so, is it possible that this is what causes the same behavior experienced by others with the same problem? Alternatively, could it be broken on the inside and need to be replaced? My pandora did have a pretty bad fall recently which is causing me to replace the internal right shoulder button.

I appreciate any thoughts on the matter and if anyone has a solution for this already feel free to share. While I have worked around this problem it has made any game that utilizes the nubs (lke super geometry dust) unusable. Also the mouse functionality loss is annoying.

(ps. A hunch says that a reflash could solve this. It is probably an incorrect hunch, but in any case it is moot since, as I've mentioned, my right shoulder button doesn't work at the moment)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had this happen to me several times too. If you move the nub back and forth a lot along its left side (i.e. from y-32 through what would normally be x-32 to y32 and back) it seems to eventually come good.

- Neelix

Hey,

I have a similar issue to what you've posted above. I even made a post about it here! But ya, I ended up doing what you've mentioned above (Swapping mouse controls) and you have me worried I'm headed towards a similar fate. I can't say if it's something collecting under the nub... but it's certainly a possibility. You happen to have any shedding pets?

Neelix: That worked for me for a little while, but eventually it'd only last 30 seconds and became a waste of time (Spend more time fixing then using it while fixed? Haha.... ya.)

Last edited by a moderator:
So this is no longer a possible issue and is now a legitimate one. I would very much like my left nub to work again. It seems pretty much confirmed that I am not the first person to have this issue and that there are in fact quite a few people with this problem. What course of action should I take to help with the problem solving of this issue?

Back