Idea: Combined nub mode "2 mouse buttons & scrolling on 1 axis"

porg

It would be cool if one nub could be used both for scrolling (on 1 axis, up/down or left/right) and mouse buttons (2 remaining out of the 4 possible up/right/down/left).

Then one could move, scroll and click with just 2 nubs! A user experience very close to that of a multi touch trackpad.

As an experimental start I suggestion the configuration "left/right for left/right mouse clicks, up/down for vertical scrolling" which would satisfy an estimated 90% of the users, who are interested in such a combined scroll/click nub mode, but in the future also exotic configurations could be offered (other remaining permutations possible).

Users: What do you think about the idea? Would you like to use it?

Devs: Could you develop such a nub mode?

It would be useful for internet,scrolling the screen and such.

Sounds like a good idea.you can already click and drag windows in the desktop.something similar?

I though it several times, so I have to say it's a wonderful idea.

May we can also use one shoulder button to grab the window and move it with one nub.

Agree

@danielo515: Although you were talking about dragging windows, and not objects such as files in a browser, a text clipping or picture in desktop publishing, etc…

…you nevertheless made me aware of one usability problem:

With my suggested mode one cannot (that easily) click'n'hold and object, then scroll, then drop the object. Because if you move the nub left to cause a left mouse-down event, and then move the nub down to scroll down, you cause a mouse-release event, just when you wanted to start scrolling.

But also to this challenge, there are solutions:

• You resort to a combination of touch screen and this nub mode, then it works without problems.
  • You program the nub-value-interpretation very intelligently.
    A total "eastern" (=left) value is interpreted as mouse-left-down
  • Then a "south-west" is starting to scroll, but yet not releasing the mouse-release.
  • Only a "total southern" move, or move "to the center" is causing a mouse-release.
  •  
  • The same principle would be applied to the secondary mouse click and scroll-up-direction.

@danielo515: Although you were talking about dragging windows, and not objects such as files in a browser, a text clipping or picture in desktop publishing, etc…

…you nevertheless made me aware of one usability problem:

With my suggested mode one cannot (that easily) click'n'hold and object, then scroll, then drop the object. Because if you move the nub left to cause a left mouse-down event, and then move the nub down to scroll down, you cause a mouse-release event, just when you wanted to start scrolling.

But also to this challenge, there are solutions:

• You resort to a combination of touch screen and this nub mode, then it works without problems.
  • You program the nub-value-interpretation very intelligently.
    A total "eastern" (=left) value is interpreted as mouse-left-down
  • Then a "south-west" is starting to scroll, but yet not releasing the mouse-release.
  • Only a "total southern" move, or move "to the center" is causing a mouse-release.
  •  
  • The same principle would be applied to the secondary mouse click and scroll-up-direction.
I was talking about dragging widows, yes.

AS you said, any other scenario would be hard to face. 

abmouse gives you left-click, right-click, pg-up and pg-down

I use the right nub for scrolling

the left nub for mouse

so that a+L1+leftNub --> move window

Doesn't that solve the problem?

the left nub for mouse

I take note.

I don't have my pandora yet, just speculating ;)

Thanks for your tip 

the left nub for mouse

What is abmouse?

A B as in the ABXY buttons?

If it is that it would indeed allow mouse-move-4directions, scroll-4directions, 2 different mouse clicks.

Nevertheless I'd like to keep ABXY for text cursor commands.

Thus I still propose my original suggestion as a viable input mode.

Last edited by a moderator:
ABXY for text cursor commands, such as "jump to start/end of line/document" in text editors or also the Terminal.

So is there any dev willing to implement this mode, so that we could beta-test the user experience of it?

ABXY for text cursor commands, such as "jump to start/end of line/document" in text editors or also the Terminal.
That's a good feature too.

I can't believe we not have enough buttons on the pandora  :lol:

You can accomplish that just as the developers of the mentioned app did,cause that app is just a package of some configurations. Check the thread i've posted for more info
Enviado desde mi GT-N7000 usando Tapatalk 2

@danielo515: Thanks for your hint, but I want to keep ABXY as-is (text cursor commands) and rather would like to try that combined click+scroll nub prototype mode.

I'll have to note that even though I propably could write the code for this - and it sounds like a good idea, I can't test this because of my effectively nubless pandora. And I do have other things to do in life, too. TBH, the kernel code change wont be that big, a new mode (proc read/write functions) and handling of the mode to drivers/input/misc/vsense.c .

@urjaman: I would do beta-testing.

Just ensure that the software runs, and that the sensitivity values can be edited in a config file.

I don't want to compile any code myself, but to start/stop a service/daemon and edit a properly commented config file myself, I am able to do this.

vsense-combined-mb-scroll.patch.gz

There's a patch. It just makes x axis as with mouse buttons and y axis as with scrolling (so the thresholds are the old scroll and mouse button thresholds), if you set the mode as "mbscroll" (mouse buttons and scroll... sort of) Not sure how good that works, and I will need some time if you want a kernel binary... I tested that the code compiles but nothing more so far - and I have some personal hacks elsewhere in my kernel tree (including 1.7A charging (quite experimental) and leds and config changes), so there's a lot to undo and build for me to do a proper kernel binary. I'll see if I can do it, but if notaz wants to apply the patch and run a proper kernel package build (on something faster than a pandora) it would be a order of magnitude faster.

Attachments

• vsense-combined-mb-scroll.patch.gz
    807 bytes · Views: 166
Last edited by a moderator:
Back