Energy consumption / I hate maths

Fzero

Advanced Member
Looking at my stinger of an electricity bill... I am suspecting my storage heaters, which have been on a bit these past few months, are the main culprit.

I do also leave a few devices on standby though a lot.

I never really thought they would be bumping the bill much though.

I have just one wall plug in corner of the room where my telly is, so I run a multi-adapter from that, which I connect;

Telly

TiVo

Wii U

I set my TiVo to record stuff at all hours of the day and night, when I'm at work and asleep.

For this reason, I also keep the telly and Wii U, along with the TiVo box, all on standby.

Just found this article which contains a nice table of data on it:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-2164842/How-household-gadgets-cost-run-16-electricity-bills-wasted-appliances-left-standby.html

According to that, I don't think leaving these devices on standby is costing me that much really, and that my damn rubbish heating is the stinger.

This is my telly energy rating, which is meant to be pretty good:

47LM620T-ErP-label.jpg

Shows at 92kWh/annum, which according to that websites table, is about the same as a DVD recorder, costing around £14 per year.

What exactly is this reading though, is this the amount it uses when on standby? Is it saying that if I left this telly on standby for a whole year it would only cost £14?

Not sure how much the TiVo uses in terms of kWh/annum ... the Wii U is meant to run about half the power a PS3 does, which is on that websites table, so again it doesn't seem too bad to be leaving it on standby all the time.

Am I understanding these numbers and charges correct, is that the kWh/annum when on standby?

I'm working this out as roughly

[on assumption that on standby all the time - which is what I need to consider, to know if I need to stop leaving my stuff on standby all day and night]

:

Wii U [probably about same as Wii]

40 kWh/annum ~ £6

Telly [same as shown on that website for a dvd recorder]

92 kWh/annum ~ £14

TiVo [guessing at around same as shown for a Set Top Box]

115.2 kWh/annum ~ £17

Which is £37 per year.

If that is correct, that clearly isn't bumping my bills much at all, I'm happy to pay, on top of enjoying these devices when not on standby, the £37 a year in order to keep them on standby and keep my TiVo recordings happening throughout the night and when I am at work.

Have I understood these charges correct or am I just reading/calculating it all wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know the details of how these labels work, but I can assure you that 63W must be the power draw when the device is on. No way does a tv draw dozens of watts in standby, and if it did there's even no wayer it would get an A+ rating ;)

Now, simple math: 92000Wh / 63W = about 1460 hours per annum. Divide that by 365, you get 4; so it looks like the annual consumption is an estimate based on assuming that your tv is running 4 hours per diem, and completely off (unplugged) 20 hours. It must then be meant to be an approximation of total energy used per year, and if you use your telly a bit less than 4 hours every day but leave it on standby in between it'll probably be within a quid or two of accurate.

Thanks Znirk ... so seems that my leaving of these 3 devices on standby isn't costing me too much at all then. Which is good to know.

Now just need to reconsider how I keep warm, I obviously need to invest in different heating solution as my current ones are costing me a small fortune it would seem.

cheers

Buy a plug thingy that can measure power usage.

And yes - heaters, stoves draw far more power than lights and normal electronic devices. So eat raw food, and move your house to a warm climate!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am moving soon, to a flat with double glazing so shouldn't need to keep heating on as much anyway.

Also going to buy an electricity usage monitor plug though, for the other devices

Although prices do vary bettween heating methods, heating intrinsically uses a lot of energy.

Warm climates, double glazing and woolly jumpers are probably the most effective long-term way to save on heating bills

Although prices do vary bettween heating methods, heating intrinsically uses a lot of energy.

Warm climates, double glazing and woolly jumpers are probably the most effective long-term way to save on heating bills
Don't forget AC !!!!

Back