Epic Develop Iphone Unreal Engine


T

Trevsweb

Guest
http://www.engadget....one-ipod-touch/

looks really promising. the other operating system is bound to be android. but with the inclusion of free unreal engine downloads for non profit games i wonder if it would be a huge leap to the pandora for this engine eventually.
i mean someone would have to develop our own pandora game in order for us to use the unreal engine which will take alot of time and effort, thats if it would work on the complex issue of "will it run on the pandora?"

i certainly hope so... CES is not far off :) (7th jan)

looks like the lighting has been scaled back a bit like the voodoo fx version of doom 3 :p http://www.firingsquad.com/media/gallery_index.asp/244
 

alucart1984

Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2009
Messages
274
Age
38
Trevsweb said:
http://www.engadget....one-ipod-touch/

looks really promising. the other operating system is bound to be android. but with the inclusion of free unreal engine downloads for non profit games i wonder if it would be a huge leap to the pandora for this engine eventually.
i mean someone would have to develop our own pandora game in order for us to use the unreal engine which will take alot of time and effort, thats if it would work on the complex issue of "will it run on the pandora?"

i certainly hope so... CES is not far off :) (7th jan)

looks like the lighting has been scaled back a bit like the voodoo fx version of doom 3 :p http://www.firingsquad.com/media/gallery_index.asp/244
Wow if the iPhone can run that then the Pandora should be able to do the same but with better controls! Doom 3 on Voodoo? OMG looks like ass but if we had even 1/3 better detail on the Pandora that would be awesome.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

borgqueenx

Very Active Member
Joined
May 21, 2008
Messages
1,887
Age
32
Location
The Netherlands, Overijssel
Website
gdteam.net
that rocks. i love iphone and pandora both, and its great to see iPhone news here as well :D

But i dont think epic games will make this happen for pandora....because its not really a well known device.
 

Loonie

Active Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2003
Messages
753
borgqueenx said:
that rocks. i love iphone and pandora both, and its great to see iPhone news here as well :D

But i dont think epic games will make this happen for pandora....because its not really a well known device.

If the engine runs on iPhone hardware, a big chunk of the work is already done.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

iprice

Certified Guru
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
3,281
Age
51
Location
MK. UK. OK.
Website
Visit site
Interesting that they've (Epic) changed their stance on developing for lesser machines - it wasn't that long ago that they poo-poohed the Wii, stating that it wasn't worth developing for as it was under-powered and wouldn't do their tech justice.

Money talks, I suppose ;)

Here you go, an article from around the time - http://digg.com/nintendo/Epic_won_t_ever_develop_for_Wii_we_go_forward_not_back
 

JayFoxRox

Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
779
Age
32
Location
Hanover, Germany
Website
jannikvogel.de
Is it only me, who thinks that this looks pretty booring?
The engine might be able to provide lots of features, but I would have expected something more complex as a demo.
Whats going on on the screen is not too cool and the graphics aren't any good neither in that video or the screenshots provided in the related article.
I have seen far better graphics and physics pulled off by homebrew devs on the 3GS
 

Vorporeal

Yes, no, I, this is.
Joined
Sep 13, 2007
Messages
1,614
Age
31
Website
Visit site
craigix said:
fischju2000 said:
So, Craigix, how goes that appstore?

Really well :)

Any chance that the second platform that they're going to be porting this to is the Pandora? (Who knows, maybe this is that special project that Craig talked about a while back...)
 
Last edited by a moderator:

WizardStan

Mega GP Mania
Joined
May 24, 2008
Messages
16,733
Vorporeal said:
craigix said:
fischju2000 said:
So, Craigix, how goes that appstore?

Really well :)

Any chance that the second platform that they're going to be porting this to is the Pandora? (Who knows, maybe this is that special project that Craig talked about a while back...)
It would make sense as to why the sudden need for an Appstore. Silence for so long and then sudden talk of a special project and appstore? Seems suspicious, almost as if they needed a place to sell a game.
I actually suggested a long long time ago that monies could be spent on getting a Doom3 license, porting it to the Pandora, and then selling it content and all.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

borgqueenx

Very Active Member
Joined
May 21, 2008
Messages
1,887
Age
32
Location
The Netherlands, Overijssel
Website
gdteam.net
JayFoxRox said:
Is it only me, who thinks that this looks pretty booring?
The engine might be able to provide lots of features, but I would have expected something more complex as a demo.
Whats going on on the screen is not too cool and the graphics aren't any good neither in that video or the screenshots provided in the related article.
I have seen far better graphics and physics pulled off by homebrew devs on the 3GS
well there is some truth in there. They could show a real UT3 map, and not some stopid hall of castle that even quake2 can handle with ease.
Look at the newest game N.O.V.A. and its graphics, its about double as much as this UT3 engine demo shows.

But still i think its gonna be better then N.O.V.A....that they just made a stopid map choice. But the controls of the demo look nice :) little bit stolen from gameloft games but who cares :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Vorporeal

Yes, no, I, this is.
Joined
Sep 13, 2007
Messages
1,614
Age
31
Website
Visit site
The Pandora would also be the ULTIMATE handheld console for a game by Epic. It's got the standard (living room) console control layout (minus two shoulder buttons), but having dual analog, dpad, game buttons, and shoulder buttons is a great setup for an FPS. Even if it's not the best platform for Epic to port Unreal Engine to from a money standpoint, it's the best from a playability standpoint.
 

borgqueenx

Very Active Member
Joined
May 21, 2008
Messages
1,887
Age
32
Location
The Netherlands, Overijssel
Website
gdteam.net
Vorporeal said:
The Pandora would also be the ULTIMATE handheld console for a game by Epic. It's got the standard (living room) console control layout (minus two shoulder buttons), but having dual analog, dpad, game buttons, and shoulder buttons is a great setup for an FPS. Even if it's not the best platform for Epic to port Unreal Engine to from a money standpoint, it's the best from a playability standpoint.
thats the point. only 4000 people will firstly own the pandora. Then half of the people will pirate apps and games. And the 4000 users of pandora wont evolve super quickly like DS or psp consoles.
This is what epic wants.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Vorporeal

Yes, no, I, this is.
Joined
Sep 13, 2007
Messages
1,614
Age
31
Website
Visit site
borgqueenx said:
Vorporeal said:
The Pandora would also be the ULTIMATE handheld console for a game by Epic. It's got the standard (living room) console control layout (minus two shoulder buttons), but having dual analog, dpad, game buttons, and shoulder buttons is a great setup for an FPS. Even if it's not the best platform for Epic to port Unreal Engine to from a money standpoint, it's the best from a playability standpoint.
thats the point. only 4000 people will firstly own the pandora. Then half of the people will pirate apps and games. And the 4000 users of pandora wont evolve super quickly like DS or psp consoles.
This is what epic wants.

First off, I HIGHLY doubt half of the owners will pirate games. If you think that's the case, you're obviously not doing a good job of assessing the people in this community. We all appreciate and understand the difficulty involved in the development process for software, and because of that, people pay for well written software. Secondly, if the comments on recent Engadget posts mean anything, there are a lot of people who are discovering the power and utility of the Pandora, and it's not unlikely that the second batch will be HUGE. You also have to keep in mind the fact that the 3GS and the Pandora have extremely similar hardware - chances are that they could just change the input methods and do a couple small tweaks to the graphical side of things and it would work. (Anything using Apple APIs would have to be switched over to standard Linux APIs, but that wouldn't be exceedingly difficult.) Since both of them are using comparable processors and comparable GPUs (both supporting OGLES2.0, which is what they're probably using), porting wouldn't be such a tough process.

tl;dr: I know it's unlikely, but it would be a perfect fit.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Loonie

Active Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2003
Messages
753
JayFoxRox said:
Is it only me, who thinks that this looks pretty booring?
The engine might be able to provide lots of features, but I would have expected something more complex as a demo.
Whats going on on the screen is not too cool and the graphics aren't any good neither in that video or the screenshots provided in the related article.
I have seen far better graphics and physics pulled off by homebrew devs on the 3GS

I'm just pleased to see it running on a non X86 platform. Give me U3DEV tools on ARM and I'll be a happy man.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

borgqueenx

Very Active Member
Joined
May 21, 2008
Messages
1,887
Age
32
Location
The Netherlands, Overijssel
Website
gdteam.net
Vorporeal said:
borgqueenx said:
Vorporeal said:
The Pandora would also be the ULTIMATE handheld console for a game by Epic. It's got the standard (living room) console control layout (minus two shoulder buttons), but having dual analog, dpad, game buttons, and shoulder buttons is a great setup for an FPS. Even if it's not the best platform for Epic to port Unreal Engine to from a money standpoint, it's the best from a playability standpoint.
thats the point. only 4000 people will firstly own the pandora. Then half of the people will pirate apps and games. And the 4000 users of pandora wont evolve super quickly like DS or psp consoles.
This is what epic wants.

First off, I HIGHLY doubt half of the owners will pirate games. If you think that's the case, you're obviously not doing a good job of assessing the people in this community. We all appreciate and understand the difficulty involved in the development process for software, and because of that, people pay for well written software. Secondly, if the comments on recent Engadget posts mean anything, there are a lot of people who are discovering the power and utility of the Pandora, and it's not unlikely that the second batch will be HUGE. You also have to keep in mind the fact that the 3GS and the Pandora have extremely similar hardware - chances are that they could just change the input methods and do a couple small tweaks to the graphical side of things and it would work. (Anything using Apple APIs would have to be switched over to standard Linux APIs, but that wouldn't be exceedingly difficult.) Since both of them are using comparable processors and comparable GPUs (both supporting OGLES2.0, which is what they're probably using), porting wouldn't be such a tough process.

tl;dr: I know it's unlikely, but it would be a perfect fit.
look on numbers on iphone game sites how much piracy there is.
And yeah i guess it would be a easy port for epic games....but still i dont see such a large company making their powerhouse engine for the pandora. to good to become true. But hey the pandora itself was also to good to become the truth :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Vorporeal

Yes, no, I, this is.
Joined
Sep 13, 2007
Messages
1,614
Age
31
Website
Visit site
borgqueenx said:
<snip>
look on numbers on iphone game sites how much piracy there is.
</snip>

I wasn't talking about the iPhone.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

borgqueenx

Very Active Member
Joined
May 21, 2008
Messages
1,887
Age
32
Location
The Netherlands, Overijssel
Website
gdteam.net
Vorporeal said:
borgqueenx said:
<snip>
look on numbers on iphone game sites how much piracy there is.
</snip>

I wasn't talking about the iPhone.
i was only giving you a example. the iphone got a app store wich the pandora will also get.

Although the most pandora users will be retro gamers. Those people will most likely buy games more then the casual people do.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

kingoddball

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 26, 2009
Messages
1,687
borgqueenx said:
JayFoxRox said:
Is it only me, who thinks that this looks pretty booring?
The engine might be able to provide lots of features, but I would have expected something more complex as a demo.
Whats going on on the screen is not too cool and the graphics aren't any good neither in that video or the screenshots provided in the related article.
I have seen far better graphics and physics pulled off by homebrew devs on the 3GS
well there is some truth in there. They could show a real UT3 map, and not some stopid hall of castle that even quake2 can handle with ease.
Look at the newest game N.O.V.A. and its graphics, its about double as much as this UT3 engine demo shows.

But still i think its gonna be better then N.O.V.A....that they just made a stopid map choice. But the controls of the demo look nice :) little bit stolen from gameloft games but who cares :)


Hello Again,
As for N.O.V.A, Its looks F'ING GREAT!

BUT! I think it's similar to Eliminate Pro.
Eliminate Pro is OPEN ARENA! You can import you own maps into it, I've done it.
N.O.V.A uses the same engine as Modern Combat: Sandstorm.
I am wrong. Sorry.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

barzoule

Still Fresh
Joined
Sep 19, 2006
Messages
79
Like others said, U3 Engine would fit well on Pandora but unlikely. That would also require a big gaming house to produce a good game from that. Also unreal engine licensing isn't exactly cheap if you want to go commercial, which will put off most indie dev who'd have the skills to make something good.

But anyway... we've already got Q3 engine with full sources. That's even better! As for feature sets like graphical enhancements (pixel shader galore!) you can have a look at Q3 engine mods see how they did it.

And if not enough then there's Blender.

What makes something look good is not the code behind but the artist who makes the graphics. And what makes the game fun isn't the set of features but how well the few available ones are used.

So don't wait for a big engine to be available, just do your thing! ;)
 
Top