I need your opinion...

ldaneels

Hi,
I have been suggested to submit game reviews for games that I like & that people rarely heard about (mostly because they were not around when these games were released).
I have been playing video games ever since their creation & have tried many games for many systems - and with emulators, this has become even worse. I can pretty safely say I have a very thorough knowledge about video games (as long as it doesn't deal with sports or doom-like - plus who would ever want to read a review about these kind of games).
I still own many originals & would also be able to include scans of the games & basic instructions.
So far the request is for ST games, but I most definitely could cover many different systems - computers & consoles alike.
Let me know what you think & I might start something...

Loic

I cant remember any ST games and as such have none on my gp32. I think it would be a great idea and i would read your reviews, to see which games are good so i can download them.

It woudl be very cool. A lot of work for you, but way cool :)

There are a couple of sites collecting perosnal reviews of classics stuff; offhand I don't know any other than the ST Graveyard since I'm an ST nerd of course. The ST Graveyard has sans of a few real reviews from old magazines, plus the authors personal reviews of various games.

Flaws:
1) Maybe its only his reviews? Or maybe he takes submissions?
2) ST only; perhaps you want to be mroe platforms
3) Maybe you want your own site? :)

I'd say go for it.. I *love* reading retro reviews.. tells me what I shoudl be looking to find that I missed as a poor kid :)

Your own site or using someone elses woudl be fine..

jeff

Hi,
I don't have any website, so they would only be posted in the forums. But if someone wants to host my reviews, I certainly wouldn't refuse...
For top tens, I have never really liked them as they are totally subjective. At any rate, you can check GPSpain, they have a top 100 page for several different systems: http://www.gp32spain.com/top100.php
Also, please bear in mind that reviews would be made according to my tastes & would only cover lesser known games (don't expect any sensible soccer, xenon 2, speedball 2,... reviews - they either don't interest me or do not really need any more reviews). I can guarantee you, though, that the games I would review would be very interesting (well, that's my opinion, but magazine reviews seem to concur... a real shame people seem to have forgotten about them).

Loic

Hi,
I know what you mean Jeff, I can never find satisfying reviews anywhere. They either review anything they can find (ending up disliking most of the stuff - really useless in my opinion) or just cover the most popular ones (I am going to get sick if I read any more dungeon master, xenon 2,... reviews - I really love these games, but everybody on earth - a slight exaggeration, admittedly - know about these games).

Loic

crazeeplaya posted on Jul 16 2003 said:
This sounds like a geat idea. If you want, I could host your reviews on my site www.gp32world.tk. If you want me to do this, then send the reviews to m_brindle@hotmail.com

cheers

crazeeplaya

I think they're larger than GP32 though; a webpage with less GP32 influence would be wiser.. ie: Reviewing games from emus or original systems means ithe reviews can be used by everyone regardless of the platform. (Though it could be cool to list avariety fo compatible or suggested emus and platforms at the bottom..)

Perhaps you could have another webpage on the same server?

I coudl host them as well, but then it'd be tied to my machine or my company, which wouldn't likely be a godo idea.

I think loic needs a domain name (hey, $15/year.. woopie :)

jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
loic,

You can get a domain name very cheap these days; approx $15/year.

Then you could have the DNS point to whoever will host it (offer above from gpworld.tk there, or I could even host it perhaps, and I'm sure others).

www.loicreviews.com :)

jeff

This sounds great, I would love to read more retro game reviews, especially for the Atari. Let me know if you need any help writing some as I know a thing or 2 about the Atari platform.

I'd love to read retrospective review of classics I may have missed first time around. I love the ST so would definitely try out the games you suggest after reading your review. It would be good if you could post links to working disc images, for example on Joe's FTP server?

Thinking about it, if this was to go to other sytems I would definitely support your hard work.

How about putting the first few in the next issue of Slander?

matt

Ohoh ! Have I started the new fad ?
I think before I go anywhere I should release a first review to see if I am any good at writing them (I used to write for a music fanzine, but that was a real long time ago). In this respect, posting the first one on GP32world might be a good idea...
I think Jeff is closer to what I want as I am not especially tied to any particular platform. Nothing should prevent me from releasing reviews of games that are known to work on GP32 emus, though :). I also want to link the review to remakes, emulators (with config files in the case of CaSTaway - ah, if only every computer emulator allowed for config files), sequels, maybe magazine scans...
The major issue I have is that I really don't know anything about webpage design and such. Heck, I don't even know the first thing about publishing tools (I would definitely want something more than just a text file for my reviews - a nice layout & some pictures). I suppose I could learn both if my reviews prove to be of any interest.
Well, I'll get cracking soon on my first review. Don't hold your breath, I also have a business to run, so I might not be able to produce a review every day (to say the least).
As for the help offered, I might be interested in some if I am to go anywhere after my first review. We will see what happens.

Loic

PS: Crazeeplaya (hopefully you didn't fall asleep reading me), is it possible to post word files as created ? Could you have a page for my review & add a counter to the page ? This way I would know if the work I would provide is worth anything.

ldaneels posted on Jul 16 2003 said:
The major issue I have is that I really don't know anything about webpage design and such. Heck, I don't even know the first thing about publishing tools (I would definitely want something more than just a text file for my reviews - a nice layout & some pictures). I suppose I could learn both if my reviews prove to be of any interest.
I'd recommend MS Publisher. I know everybody hates MS, but it IS a really good and easy-to-use desktop publishing suite. It's what I use :)

In any case, I think you have a really good idea. I never owned an ST, so I have no idea what games are any good or even available. Everybody has been raving about it on this board, so I downloaded CaSTaway and some disk images, but I don't even know where to start! I wish you luck :D

Bitmap brother Games are good place to start

Cadaver
Chaos Engine
Gods
Speed Ball 2
Xenon 2
Z

Shame the sound on the emulator a bit screwy as the music was always good in these games... well at least they were on th amiga never played on an st ..pfft... ;) commodore man throughh and through... well till i defected to the PC :rolleyes:

ldaneels posted on Jul 16 2003 said:
Here's an idea.

Why don't you team up with one of the several people around here who are trying to start websites for reviewing games? There are at least two people running around here constantly requesting reviews for their GP32 websites. From what you posted I realize you don't want to limit yourself too much, but most Atari ST, Atari 800, Atari 2600, and Commodore 64 games run on the GP32, that would give you fodder for quite a while! Plus, you could probably work out a deal with these guys to do the HTML for you.

Just seems like instead of half a dozen people running around doing a little for each of their own websites, more could be accomplished by joining forces. Just food for thought.

He's right you know, I would be happy to do the html for you. All you need to do is send me the review and any pictures that you want in it and I will do the rest :)

Hi, I have actually been wrapped up into writing the first review. I am done with the outline. I just need to flesh out the content a bit more & you will have my nice first review.
I am a big fan of the Bitmap Brothers games, the only concern I have is that it is way too easy to find reviews of their games (well, apart from cadaver, maybe). I don't think that much would be gained by reviewing any of their games. I still might do one on Cadaver & The Payoff, though.
Hopefully I will get my first review done by tomorrow night. It depends on the time I can find. I didn't think writing reviews would be so addictive again - I feel like I am back at school writing album reviews...
So far, I have a Word document with pictures integrated in the page. Not flashy, but it does the trick...

Loic

Just read your review of The Sentinel, a game which I've always been interested in playing but never got around to it.

Is it possible to provide a link to an ST disc image? I'd love to play it after reading.

:)

Back