I Need Help With Gngeo2x

Yod4z posted on May 17 2006 at 09:57 AM said:
owen-b you have all the bios type for all contry but you don't have to use all of them just use unibios because is all country and type (arcade and home). ;)
Really? The Gngeo2x wiki that everybody has referred to in the past clearly states you need to use aes-bios.bin, vs-bios.rom, usa_2slt.bin, asia-s3.rom, sp-s2.sp1, sfix.sfx and 000-lo.lo and it makes no mention of unibios.

Although it does go on to say that you only need vs, usa, asia and sp if you alter the country in the gngeorc, but isn't that essential to make some foreign games work?

So: do I only need this unibios after all, or should I stick with what the wiki advises? Or should I just whack the whole lot into the roms folder?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the same problem. I have all the files needed for the emulator but it doesnt work. Screenshot Below. My main directory is on the top left. The roms directory inside that is in the top right. As you can see, I have all required BIOS files. I also opened up 2 game roms so that people can see if they are named incorrectly. Also, I opened the config file. Whenever I start up the emulator, it goes to a black screen and goes back to the menu. If I use the rage GUI, the whole application freezes and requires a reboot. I don't know what's wrong.

Screenshot.jpg

invinciblegod posted on May 18 2006 at 10:14 AM said:
I have the same problem. I have all the files needed for the emulator but it doesnt work. Screenshot Below. My main directory is on the top left. The roms directory inside that is in the top right. As you can see, I have all required BIOS files. I also opened up 2 game roms so that people can see if they are named incorrectly. Also, I opened the config file. Whenever I start up the emulator, it goes to a black screen and goes back to the menu. If I use the rage GUI, the whole application freezes and requires a reboot. I don't know what's wrong.

Screenshot.jpg

The same thing happpened to me at 266 mhz. Try dropping it down to 250 (mine runs "perfectly" at that speed) and see what happens. Use a "simple" game like Football Freenzy and if it doesn't work get back to us, H.G.

Tried it at 200mghz in rage GUI. Still freezes. Don't know how to change clock speed in normal GUI. I did replace all the clock speed settings to 200 in the config file but I dont know if thats how you do it. Nevertheless, It still doesnt work.

First, considering your Sd tree, your config file should be :

#Full absolute path to base directory for file explorer
#baseDir=/mnt/sd/Emulators/gngeo2x/roms
baseDir=./

(add a "neogeomvs" folder and put your games in it if you want to point to /mnt/sd/Emulators/gngeo2x/roms/neogeomvs)
Your bios files seem okay.

If you want to be sure and test this emu here's the easiest way :

Unzip a fresh gngeo-0611 archive on the root of your Sd car, put your bios files (unziped) into "roms", put ziped games into the same folder ("roms") and run the .gpe.
There's no need to have the neogeo.zip bios file btw.

invinciblegod posted on May 18 2006 at 06:27 PM said:
nope. still have same problem. I don't know why it wouldn't work.

Since there was another post after mine I don't know which one you are "noping," LOL. Did you try dropping the cpu speed down to 250????? Also, if you aren't using the frontend Rage2x I STRONGLY suggest that you do, it made my life a whole lot easier, H.G.

It would, but it freezes and requires a hard reset all the time. I did change the clock speed and it doesnt work. I changed the config file and I went into rage2x and put the clockspeed down. I did everything it says here and it still doesnt work.

invinciblegod posted on May 19 2006 at 08:09 PM said:
It would, but it freezes and requires a hard reset all the time. I did change the clock speed and it doesnt work. I changed the config file and I went into rage2x and put the clockspeed down. I did everything it says here and it still doesnt work.

Let's see, just what version of Gngeo2x are you using??? And when you say it doesn't work, just what is happening???? Will Rage2X atleast recognize the roms, and if it does, does it make an attempt to load them?? H.G.

rage recognizes the roms. I highlight it. I try to load it. The background stops moving and I cant move the highlight selector thing. In other words, it froze. I then reset the gp2x. Oh and I'm using the latest version.

invinciblegod posted on May 19 2006 at 11:52 PM said:
rage recognizes the roms. I highlight it. I try to load it. The background stops moving and I cant move the highlight selector thing. In other words, it froze. I then reset the gp2x. Oh and I'm using the latest version.

Damm that's weird, it should run. What game are you trying to run??? I always suggest a "simple" game like Football Freenzy or Windjammers which don't require a dump-fix to run just to see if the emu itself is installed right. Have you tried one of these smaller games???? H.G. BTW, what cpu speed have you entered???

invinciblegod posted on May 19 2006 at 05:52 PM said:
I may be crazy here, but it sounds like the overclock speed you chose with Rage2x is too high for your gp2x.

When I said I tried all the suggestions, I meant all the suggestions. I am trying to run Football Freenzy and that doesn't work. And no, my overclock speed is not too high iignotus, as stated in my previous posts. In fact, I am trying it at 200 mhz.

invinciblegod posted on May 20 2006 at 01:01 AM said:
When I said I tried all the suggestions, I meant all the suggestions. I am trying to run Football Freenzy and that doesn't work. And no, my overclock speed is not too high iignotus, as stated in my previous posts. In fact, I am trying it at 200 mhz.

Okay dude, 200 mhz is certainly not too high, but mabye it's too slow. Mine would load at that speed (but keep in mind that every unit is different) but was way too sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooow to run with sound. I've found that 250 mhz runs perfectly, and actually at 245 mhz it runs close enough to perfect to suit me (saves a little battery life I imagine, dropped down from 250). Why don't you try one of those speeds and see what happens. H.G.

Sort of doesn't matter when it DOESN'T RUN. It may be too slow for playing, but not for booting, as you said. and I did try 250 also. Doesn't work. Maybe I should just send someone my current gngeo folder and they can see what's wrong.

invinciblegod posted on May 20 2006 at 02:01 AM said:
Sort of doesn't matter when it DOESN'T RUN. It may be too slow for playing, but not for booting, as you said. and I did try 250 also. Doesn't work. Maybe I should just send someone my current gngeo folder and they can see what's wrong.

Alright, I think I have the answers. It is most likely the roms you're using. You're probably downloading them from the "Neo Geo" sections of your particular website. Once you open them, they all probably have the .rom extension. For example - for 2020bb.zip (2020 baseball), you probably got files like 030-c1.rom, 030-m1.rom, etc. That's incorrect. If you look at your romrc file, you'll notice that all the 030* files end in .bin. Since the internal file names don't match, gngeo2x will just quit back to the main menu right away. Even if you change your romrc file so that the .bin is replaced by .rom, it still won't work and will cause the system to hang.

So the way to correct way is to download the roms from the "mame" section of the website. You'll notice that in that section, 2020bb.zip has all .bin extensions internally. All the games found in the Neogeo section should be found in the Mame section too (if not more). This is the case in at least two of the websites I normally use.

Back