I Need Help With Gngeo2x

paul4now38 posted on May 10 2006 at 02:59 AM said:
virusx posted on May 9 2006 at 03:00 PM said:
Have you edited the "gngeo2x_config" file using Programmers notepad ?
You should try this.

I have no idea how to do that I am a novice at this.

I had no idea either, but thanks to Fishbong I'm almost an expert, LOL. Simply double click it, and when Windows asks you what you want to open it with select "notepad." Just one piece of advice, make shure you KNOW what you are changing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! H.G.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll prefer to use Programmers notepad for all the Gp2X editing needs.
And check that you have Unix line endings. Windows line endings could easily mess up a text file for the Gp2X.
But hired gun is right, simply open the file "gngeo2x_config" in a text editor.

It will look like this :
Code:
#Selector configuration file
#Version 1.0

langCode=EN

#Full path to skin files
skinPath=./
layoutCode=1

#List of full paths of command line options
... DELETED

#Full absolute path to base directory for file explorer
#baseDir=/mnt/sd/roms/neogeomvs/
baseDir=./

#File filters
fileFilter=zip

the #baseDir is where your games should be.

virusx posted on May 10 2006 at 10:31 AM said:
And check that you have Unix line endings. Windows line endings could easily mess up a text file for the Gp2X.

I have no doubts that you are right, but out of sheer lazyness (I didn't want to search and download) I tried it with regular notepad and "got away with it." I was probably lucky, LOL. H.G.

hired gun posted on May 10 2006 at 02:30 PM said:
virusx posted on May 10 2006 at 10:31 AM said:

I have no doubts that you are right, but out of sheer lazyness (I didn't want to search and download) I tried it with regular notepad and "got away with it." I was probably lucky, LOL. H.G.

Can some one tell me why gngeo2x works for some people and not for orthers.

paul4now38 posted on May 11 2006 at 06:41 PM said:
[Can some one tell me why gngeo2x works for some people and not for orthers.

Dude I'll be honest with you, this emu is "tricky," so don't get discouraged. I went round and round with it for weeks before I finally got it working like I wanted it to (at a proper speed with sound). A possible "short cut" for you might be the followng: try downloading the frontend Rage2x from this site and install it. It gives you all kinds of wonderfull options like setting the cpu speed, enabling sound, and selecting if you want "home" or "arcade" play. I'd also make shure that you are using one of the newer versions of the emu (6.11) with the automatic dumpfix option. Try all that and then get back to this thread if it doesn't work. I got some great help from the people here, and we'll stick with you until you get it right. H.G.

hired gun posted on May 11 2006 at 10:51 PM said:
paul4now38 posted on May 11 2006 at 06:41 PM said:
[Can some one tell me why gngeo2x works for some people and not for orthers.

Dude I'll be honest with you, this emu is "tricky," so don't get discouraged. I went round and round with it for weeks before I finally got it working like I wanted it to (at a proper speed with sound). A possible "short cut" for you might be the followng: try downloading the frontend Rage2x from this site and install it. It gives you all kinds of wonderfull options like setting the cpu speed, enabling sound, and selecting if you want "home" or "arcade" play. I'd also make shure that you are using one of the newer versions of the emu (6.11) with the automatic dumpfix option. Try all that and then get back to this thread if it doesn't work. I got some great help from the people here, and we'll stick with you until you get it right. H.G.

I will tell you I did down load the frontend Rage2x, but when i picked a game it just froze would not move, I had to reboot every time.How about some instruction a novice like me can follow

the opnly think that can do gngeo to not function correctly is that you don't have good bios files or good rom file ;)

if you are using unibios i recommande you to have in the roms directory: 000-lo.lo, sfix.sfx and uni-bios.rom

for the roms i can send you one rom that work with good romrc file ;), just PM me

a mate of mine had probs with this emu. he wasnt renaming his zipped files properly.

the roms may be named somthing such as:

bs554-p1.rom
bs554-p2.rom
ps554-c1.rom

and they may have to be changed to something as far different as:

mygame-p1.bin
mygame-p2.bin
mygame-c1.bin

and then re-zipped to the original zip name.

my friend was forgetting to change the rom to bin.

deepmenace posted on May 12 2006 at 11:25 AM said:
a mate of mine had probs with this emu. he wasnt renaming his zipped files properly.

bs554-p1.rom
bs554-p2.rom
ps554-c1.rom

mygame-p1.bin
mygame-p2.bin
mygame-c1.bin

I checked my mslug and saw that when I open the zip file they where named (201-s1.rom) so you are saying I should change them to(201-s1.bin) right know I am at work later when I get home I will try it and thank you, hopely its works.

paul4now38 posted on May 12 2006 at 04:53 AM said:
I will tell you I did down load the frontend Rage2x, but when i picked a game it just froze would not move, I had to reboot every time.How about some instruction a novice like me can follow

No problem buddy. I had the same problem, and it was because the cpu speed was set too high. Try setting it at 250, mine works perfectly at that speed. Once you've got that set, pop back over to the game selection side (hitting the select button moves you back and forth) and hit the "A" button. That should load the game. If it doesn't, get back to us. H.G.

paul4now38 posted on May 12 2006 at 01:48 PM said:
deepmenace posted on May 12 2006 at 11:25 AM said:

bs554-p1.rom
bs554-p2.rom
ps554-c1.rom

mygame-p1.bin
mygame-p2.bin
mygame-c1.bin

I checked my mslug and saw that when I open the zip file they where named (201-s1.rom) so you are saying I should change them to(201-s1.bin) right know I am at work later when I get home I will try it and thank you, hopely its works.

thats what you have to check the "romrc" file for - that shows you how the roms have to be named in order to work. looking at the romrc file i can see that in this case, yes, they should be named to have the bin extension - that should work - good luck.

virusx posted on May 10 2006 at 04:31 AM said:

It will look like this :
Code:
#Selector configuration file
#Version 1.0

langCode=EN

#Full path to skin files
skinPath=./
layoutCode=1

#List of full paths of command line options
... DELETED

#Full absolute path to base directory for file explorer
#baseDir=/mnt/sd/roms/neogeomvs/
baseDir=./

#File filters
fileFilter=zip

the #baseDir is where your games should be.

That is great and all, and where I would like the neogeo roms to live, but it still requires the gfx dump files to be in the gngeo/roms folder. I assume that is something written into the app and not configurable in the text file?

Guys I am asking please send me instructions where the bios go and roms I have (roms/neogeomvs/#baseDir) I have my roms in #baseDir is my bios to be in the same folder,or is my bios to be in neogeomvs. Remember I have not goten one rom to load or start. :angry:

paul4now38 posted on May 14 2006 at 04:13 AM said:
Guys I am asking please send me instructions where the bios go and roms I have (roms/neogeomvs/#baseDir) I have my roms in #baseDir is my bios to be in the same folder,or is my bios to be in neogeomvs. Remember I have not goten one rom to load or start. :angry:

Okay dude, let's "take it from the top" as it were. Unzip the bios files and stick them in the rom folder. The Roms go in the rom folder also (I'm not trying to be sarcastic, just don't want to leave anything to chance this time out). Now when you've done that, do yourself a favor and download the Frontend Rage2x and put it in the GnGeo2X folder too. Start out with a simple rom that doesn't need a dump fix, like Football Freenzy or Windjammers. Rage2X should recognize it. To jump over to the settings side of the screen, hit
"select" I activated the sound, and found it runs perfectly for me at 250Mhz. Hit select again to pop back to the "game" side of the screen and highlight the game you want to play and hit the "A" button. You should be set, if not, let me know what is happening, and we'll see if we can get you playing once and for all, H.G.

hired gun posted on May 15 2006 at 12:49 PM said:

Okay dude, let's "take it from the top" as it were. Unzip the bios files and stick them in the rom folder. The Roms go in the rom folder also (I'm not trying to be sarcastic, just don't want to leave anything to chance this time out). Now when you've done that, do yourself a favor and download the Frontend Rage2x and put it in the GnGeo2X folder too. Start out with a simple rom that doesn't need a dump fix, like Football Freenzy or Windjammers. Rage2X should recognize it. To jump over to the settings side of the screen, hit
"select" I activated the sound, and found it runs perfectly for me at 250Mhz. Hit select again to pop back to the "game" side of the screen and highlight the game you want to play and hit the "A" button. You should be set, if not, let me know what is happening, and we'll see if we can get you playing once and for all, H.G.

thanks I will try this to night and let you know if it works

paul4now38 posted on May 15 2006 at 06:37 PM said:
hired gun posted on May 15 2006 at 12:49 PM said:

thanks I will try this to night and let you know if it works

It did not work. some thing else is going on I am sure my bios are fine. I have try a complete download from gp2x torrent of the gneogp2x with a working game and a dump for the game I have tryed simple game. I have try different bios and games also switching folder with the bios and games, also putting every thing in the roms folder and the neogeomvs, #baseDir, I am all out of ideas.

paul4now38 posted on May 16 2006 at 02:07 PM said:
It did not work. some thing else is going on I am sure my bios are fine. I have try a complete download from gp2x torrent of the gneogp2x with a working game and a dump for the game I have tryed simple game. I have try different bios and games also switching folder with the bios and games, also putting every thing in the roms folder and the neogeomvs, #baseDir, I am all out of ideas.

As I don't know exactly what is happening when you say "it is not working" let's try it the following way. Put all your bios files and only Football Freenzy or Windjammers in the rom folder. Use Rage2x and try and load a game. If it doesn't work, tell me EXACTLY what does go on, and any screen messages that may pop up if you get them. H.G.

hired gun posted on May 16 2006 at 12:51 PM said:
paul4now38 posted on May 16 2006 at 02:07 PM said:

As I don't know exactly what is happening when you say "it is not working" let's try it the following way. Put all your bios files and only Football Freenzy or Windjammers in the rom folder. Use Rage2x and try and load a game. If it doesn't work, tell me EXACTLY what does go on, and any screen messages that may pop up if you get them. H.G.

Thanks for your help a friend sent me the hole file and I just drag it on my sd card and every thing works thanks everyone. :D :D

Can I add a possibly silly question to this thread? Cheers ;)

I've not got my GP2X yet but it's on the way, and I've got the neogeo.zip file that contains the bios. However, in addition to the files that are listed on the gngeo2x wiki, it contains a whole load of other stuff. Here's the full list of what I have:

000-lo.lo
aes-bios.bin
asia-s3.rom
neodebug.rom
sfix.sfx
sm1.sm1
sp-e.sp1
sp-j2.rom
sp-s.sp1
sp-s2.sp1
uni-bios.12
usa_2slt.bin
vs-bios.rom

Should I just transfer the wiki-listed files and ditch the rest?

owen-b you have all the bios type for all contry but you don't have to use all of them just use unibios because is all country and type (arcade and home). ;)

Back