I need a cheap but decent computer

Keithmcfc

Website
http
Can someone please help me lol

im looking for a cheap computer (under £400)

i cant go over 400 because i only got a part time job lol

The best i have found is a dell with 2.6GHz Intel Celeron processor with 128 mb memory and a 80 gb hard drive for £380 but thts including monitor, keyboard etc but i dont need all that all i need is the tower.

can someone help me find a better deal or do you think thats the best i can get??

Thanks

well i know people who have built their computers for half the price a store would sell the same computer for. all you have to do is find some cheap online stores with tons of rebates.

Well, check some computer websites like eMachine. Or, get a refurbished or open box price. Maybe ebay is the place to get a computer. Hope I help.

P.S. I'm not in the UK sso I don't know of any stores there.

Best bet m8 is to buy a bundle, if you know how to put all of your computer parts together then id buy a bundle pack.. they commonly come with a CPU,motherboard,ram. You may need to buy the case and of course you'll need to slot the stuff in your self, not too hard and it will save you alot of cash.

Personally i buy the parts seperatly so i know exactly what im getting and its fun putting them together too if you like that sort of thing :)

DO NOT GET A DELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not gonna say any more or any less, but this one I'm using now is a 1.8ghz with 128 ram and it performs worse on multitasking than my girlfriends 133mhz pentium......seriously I am not kidding!

And this isn't the first one I've come across like this. They cut alot of corners just to make them cheap and cheerful.

ebuyer is fantastic i shoudl be ordering my new pc off there 2day what do people think of the new 9600 xt they seem ok for mid range graphics ?

Most people think Dell is a joke but if you know what you are doning when you customize it, it will be the best computer you ever owned. I ordered no monitor with mine, I got 1GB Ram, 3 Ghz Processor, a CD-RW drive, an improved video and sound card, and a few other little thing and its the best computer I have ever owned. Basically, start with one of thier super cheap models like the Dimension 2400 which starts at $500.
Just choose:

1 GB Ram

0GB Hard Drive

the Dual Drives (at the bottom of the drives list) (which are free right now)

no Monitor (obviously)

..... and that will all come out to about $899 ($799 after the $100 mail-in rebat they have going now and use that to get a nicer sound and video card).
The link to the 2400 I'm talkj about is HERE.
Hope this was helpful.

unlucky posted on Dec 28 2003 at 04:08 PM said:
ebuyer is fantastic i shoudl be ordering my new pc off there 2day what do people think of the new 9600 xt they seem ok for mid range graphics ?
I just got one, it's nice, and I get to download HL2 free when it's eventually finished...

Last edited by a moderator:
You cant say it a problem with DELL its the hardware that could be another make,it is due to the size and speed if you want it to work beter with multi tasking get some new memory which is reasonably cheap ranging to expensive.

starwarsnerd posted on Dec 28 2003 at 10:36 PM said:
Most people think Dell is a joke but if you know what you are doning when you customize it, it will be the best computer you ever owned. I ordered no monitor with mine, I got 1GB Ram, 3 Ghz Processor, a CD-RW drive, an improved video and sound card, and a few other little thing and its the best computer I have ever owned. Basically, start with one of thier super cheap models like the Dimension 2400 which starts at $500.
Just choose:

1 GB Ram

0GB Hard Drive

the Dual Drives (at the bottom of the drives list) (which are free right now)

no Monitor (obviously)

..... and that will all come out to about $899 ($799 after the $100 mail-in rebat they have going now and use that to get a nicer sound and video card).
The link to the 2400 I'm talkj about is HERE.
Hope this was helpful.
Hmm, my parents lumped for the 2300 (can't wait to get back to my own desktop) anyway, you have to wonder for that amount of money you could probably custom build a far superior machine. But I suppose for time saving purposes, Dell will do.

If anybody reads this, I too need help finding computer parts, because they're not regular computer parts. I'm looking for a retailer in the US that sells microATX parts, I need a motherboard (AMD only), a case, and a lo-pro wireless network card. I'm also trying to work on buying a new huge WD hard drive. But again, if anybody knows about microATX retailers, let me know.

blipped4 posted on Dec 29 2003 at 10:14 PM said:
2300?????????????wtf?
2300 at 2400 etc at He/they are refering to the model numbers that Dell sell.

@NssOne
This link should be of some use to you http://www.directron.com/microsocket.html. Its a pity they are based in the US, As i have been tempted to order stuff from them before as they have got some excellent prices. But couldn`t bare to find out what the import/customs tax would be.

Trooper

Back