I Just Got Davec's Cap, Review Inside =>

@DaveC: Ever though about sending one out to GPH? :)

They would just steal my idea and make millions.

Here is a larg pic of the stick for those curious:

gp2xsticklg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I ordered 2 caps on Monday night, and got them in today's mail! (Edit: less than 72 hours) Luckily, I happen to live about ten miles away. :)

After 10 minutes with DrMD, I'm finding that all of the claims are true. There is no doubt in my mind that this is the ideal design for a GP2X stick cap. Ten (or eleven) dollars is a bargain, get it while he's still making them!

This might be a terrible question, but it's my first day looking up GP2X stuff after I decided I wanted portable emulators. In any case, here goes ;)

Well, I've never modded any type of hardware in my life, and I was wondering what would be the steps in removing the old joystick and replacing it with this one? I'm sure to all the mod-heads here it's a piece of cake so I won't ask if it's hard to do - jus what are the steps?

This might be a terrible question, but it's my first day looking up GP2X stuff after I decided I wanted portable emulators. In any case, here goes ;)

Well, I've never modded any type of hardware in my life, and I was wondering what would be the steps in removing the old joystick and replacing it with this one? I'm sure to all the mod-heads here it's a piece of cake so I won't ask if it's hard to do - jus what are the steps?

It is a piece of cake :p

Just pull off the old cap and press on the new one. Should take all of 10 seconds with no L337 modding skillz needed.

It is a piece of cake :p

Just pull off the old cap and press on the new one. Should take all of 10 seconds with no L337 modding skillz needed.
Awesome. Now all I need is GP2x itself :p . You'll be hearin from me once I do though (hopefully, you'll still sell em :) )

Just got my cap installed today, and I overall I am pleased. It doesn't magically fix all of the design shortcomings, but it is unquestionably superior to the default cap and I certainly feel a lot more nimble playing games, especially shooters.

The cap did give me two minor heart attacks though; first, when I went to use it, none of my joystick input registered. Turns out I had pushed it down too far. Second, it seems that I had lost left, as the only way the machine would register left is when I rolled the stick clockwise to left. This however was fixed by just rotating the cap in place, and everything seems better than ever.

Thanks Dave!

Just got my cap installed today, and I overall I am pleased. It doesn't magically fix all of the design shortcomings, but it is unquestionably superior to the default cap and I certainly feel a lot more nimble playing games, especially shooters.

The cap did give me two minor heart attacks though; first, when I went to use it, none of my joystick input registered. Turns out I had pushed it down too far. Second, it seems that I had lost left, as the only way the machine would register left is when I rolled the stick clockwise to left. This however was fixed by just rotating the cap in place, and everything seems better than ever.

Thanks Dave!

Yeah, both of those things are mentioned on the instruction sheet. It was made to be able to go in close. And yeah the sticks and motherboards are assembled differently by GPH, some are in the center of the hole, some are not. That is why rotating the cap will fix it as the hole in the cap can be slightly off center to match the off center case.

Dave C i just got you cap and it is really great your thumb just perfectly fits right in it helps alot thanks :D

Got my Cap in the mail today, I must say the instructions that came with it were clear. I also put the cap down too low and the inputs didn't register. Pulled it up a bit and it really works like a charm. Fitting it is a breeze, even a technophobic baboon will be able to change the joystick cap!
For me it's way more easy to hit perfect horizontal and vertical in games. I am amazed by how well it fits my thumb. You can use the edge if you move through the menu's.
They should have put this on in the first place I say! Dave, you are the man!

Got my Cap in the mail today, I must say the instructions that came with it were clear. I also put the cap down too low and the inputs didn't register. Pulled it up a bit and it really works like a charm. Fitting it is a breeze, even a technophobic baboom will be able to change the joystick cap!
For me it's way more easy to hit perfect horizontal and vertical in games. I am amazed by how well it fits my thumb. You can use the edge if you move through the menu's.
They should have put this on in the first place I say! Dave, you are the man!

Cool, it didn't take that long to get there either.

That matches my experience exactly. I pushed it in as fas as I could, then freaked out when the menus wouldn't work :) After a couple minutes pulling and rotating, I got it just the way I like it.

The stick is a definite improvement, I have much fewer problems with diagonals now, and it feels nicer under my thumb than the stock one. I honestly can't think of any way that I could improve on it. Well done Dave! :D

With all these good reviews I think I'll have to get me one now (probably with that random £10 cheque I got in the post today from some company for doing one of their surveys at some point, came as a nice surprise).

I'd just like to throw my thanks in to DaveC. My new cap came yesterday. This morning I installed it and easily blew past Neptune in Gyruss in MameGP2x.

Excellent job Dave. This cap has great feel, and makes it a lot easier to adjust to some of the other faults of the joystick.

Everyone else, order away!

Hmmm... 8000 GP2xs sold X $10 each - materials and shipping. We could still build one heck of a college fund/ nest egg/ mad money fund for Dave!

Thanks Dave!

Igboo

Hmmm... 8000 GP2xs sold X $10 each - materials and shipping. We could still build one heck of a college fund/ nest egg/ mad money fund for Dave!

Its not all profit, so it would be less then that plus not everyone is going to buy a cap. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Well it seems this is the cap to get. I will definitely be thinking about getting one of these as soon as I get my GP2X. I just have to use the regular cap for awhile and then want to throw the system out the window, then I will order. :D

Is the swap perminant or would I be able to put the crap one back on if needed?

Back