I just downloaded Ubuntu.

Even Slackware, which is as far out as you go that way without simply demonstrating you have too much time on your hands, differs mainly just in setting up the file system in a DOS (cfdisk) instead of GUI style program if you're going pure stock install like Ubuntu forces by default. It basically walks you through it and is setup the way it is because it's user base wants the option to tweak things and modify the guts, not because you have to. Well that and Slackware is impervious to package tearing by design, among other things.

Right, so overly complicated and unnecessary for the vast majority of users. Whereas with Ubuntu, you need to know very little to have a functioning OS in a matter of minutes. God forbid that there should be a graphical user interface during an operating system installation!

You might start "proving" prejudice wrong by actually helping the user with the problem instead of feeling the need to play drama queen.

I believe I adequately explained my distaste for Apple in another thread. Based on people like you Shuttleworth's project isn't similar to them only in having their button cluster on the wrong side.

I'm sorry, I must have missed the announcement where your panties got tied in a knot and you had a rod rammed up your backside. The OP asked if downloading Ubuntu was a good idea. My response, as far as I can tell, was in favor of Ubuntu - especially if you have no Linux experience. I did not say that other distributions were worthless, but not one other distro that I have used has been as user-friendly as Ubuntu. Not OpenSUSE. Not Fedora. And especially not Slackware.

When I can boot to a live CD and all of my hardware is working flawlessly - including my network cards - I'll consider that a win. Ubuntu has offered me this on several occasions whereas other distros have failed. Why there is such an "but once you become a REAL Linux user, Ubuntu sucks" attitude that pervades the internet is beyond me, especially when the Ubuntu forums are the best on the internet for information about your OS.

Now, I've only been a native speaker of English my entire life, but I'm fairly certain that by responding positively about Ubuntu, I did in fact help with the original "problem". I can go back and check my syntax and grammar once again, but I think we'll come up with the same results.

Thanks for playing.

especially when the Ubuntu forums are the best on the internet for information about your OS.
Hahhahahhaha, that surely must be a joke.

Half of the guides on those forums are terrible and written by ill educated users. More than once have I gotten warnings from more knowledgeable users not to use one of them because they introduce serious security issues are plainly break things.

The Ubuntu forums are a joke and one doesn't learn anything from them. Sure there are a handful of smart folks on it, but they don't compare to the sheer amount of false information that gets repeated over and over.

For beginners: it's fine. It's good to make mistakes because you learn from them.

For anyone else: there are plenty of picks out there.

And if you just want a good live-cd, use Knoppix :p

Show me a better forum then. You won't be able to.

Again, elitist attitudes prevail.

I suppose "better" is subjective. I'm aware of those forums as well, but they have not provided me with the utility that I have received from the Ubuntu forums.

Whatever. It doesn't matter.

Ubuntu is fantastic and can help you learn linux. But one word of caution from a past bad experience. If you are using Ubuntu in a duel boot with Windows 7, be careful of updates. While updating Ubuntu a few months ago it fragged up my Windows 7 partition and while I did not lose data, I had to do an emergency reinstall of win 7. (I need windows 7 due to work) But now I cannot use the Ubuntu partition and as soon as I have some vacation time, I get to back up data and wipe my whole system and then reinstall again to clean everything up.

So enjoy Ubuntu but watch the duel boot stuff.

i'm using 11.04 and have a server on 10.04, it is a pain learning a bunch of stuff but once you get down the terminal commands you can then fix just about all errors. I use ubuntu more than XP everyday because i don't need AV and i can go to any web site without getting a virus.

I used Ubuntu for a while, but then I realized I was reaching the top of the learning curve. Now I use Arch, and I'm rightfully confused.

Last edited by a moderator:
I started out by switching from Vista to Linux Mint 5, dabbled with Ubuntu a little bit - mainly setting it up for friends on their machines, still have Mint on my desktop but use Pinguy on my laptop (which can be a bit quirky at times). I guess in a way that's still Ubuntu but tweaked in various ways.

Been tempted to try out Arch and Gentoo but find it a bit overwhelming since I've made a right mess of trying to install either in virtual machine so not quite willing to take that extra step yet!

I'm not a fan of the whole minimalistic "unity" thing, I'm missing a ton of the "old" gnome features.

I think I'm going back to debian, I've had way too many problems with ubuntu randomly acting up.

e.g. the file search deamon being broken on a CLEAN INSTALL. wut?

After the update, vlc randomly crashed my whole system a couple of times too. I don't know what's going on but somethings seriously wrong.

I'm not trying to fix it, just figuring out how I can safely install debian, remove ubuntu, and still be able to boot into my windows 7 partition... Shouldn't be rocket science.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back