I Just Came To A Realization....

Jourdy288

Well, I was reading through Wikipedia on the different consoles throughout the years, and saw how they were arranged by generation. I then realized that the Pandora is an eight generation console. Despite the fact that it is categorized as a 7-gen console on Wikipedia, considering its features that other consoles seem to lack, like Bluetooth, raw power, the fact that it'll probably be capable of emulating consoles from this generation, and overall coolness (crap, did I just say "overall coolness"? Stupid fanboi side of me....) I think that it should be an eighth generation console. Does anybody agree? I'm sorry for such a seemingly stupid post, but this could be monumental.

It was categorized as 8th gen at one time but its hard to make that argument with out it being released. Anyway... just change it after the first batch, its wikipedia after all. Then we can see if it sticks.

I think it'll be pretty historic (regarding gaming) for the first eighth-gen console to be open source.

Have the Pandora not the same Gen like the PSP and the DS? it is a handheld, and whe dont can make it in the same category like the ps3 and the wii and the xbox 360,

what is the eight gen? what for consols and handhelds are in it?

Personally, I can't see why "generation" matters, much like "however-many-bit" never truly mattered. It is the software and community that defines a machine and gives it significance, not what arbitrary labelling it gets slapped with, if you ask me. :p

can whe say that the pandora is a next gen handheld? it has much more power than the psp and the ds, and you can make all whit it,

or:

it is the thirt (3) generation of opensource homebrew handhelds

first gen : gp32
second gen: gp2x
thirt gen: wiz, pandora

:rolleyes:

Regarding consoles in general, like the NES was important to the third generation, PS2 was the sixth generation, etc. The reason this matters is because this is going down in video game history as a defining moment, and I'm glad we're helping make it happen.

Ich liebe Pandora!

My apologies to any Germans liesen, Ich sprachen nicht gute Deutsch.

for all german citicen, i can say: thangs for your apologies, your welkome, nice to hear this,

btt:

whey whe dont call it neint gen? lez make a new gen whit open handhelds, more interaktivity etc :lol:

Consoles aren't really graded by the power of their hardware. Case in point, the Wii. The hardware's nowhere near as powerful as the 360 or PS3, but it's in the same generation.

If I understand it correctly, generations are defined by groups of competing systems. PSP and DS are competitors, which Pandora is likely to be compared against during this generation. The next generation of handhelds is likely a couple years away, and if Pandora does see a 2nd, more powerful revision, it'll likely be competing against PSP2, whatever Nintendo will name their next handheld, and, with Apple's constant "these are gaming consoles," future iPhone/iPod Touch revisions.

You're right, I think they're just classed by "Released within 2-3 years of each other".

So the Pandora and iPhone (and iPod Touch, idk when it was released but it seems to fit) would be considered the first 8th generation handhelds. The DSi might be as well since I think they upgraded the hardware a bit.

LOL, ein step at a time meine freund, but I'm pretty sure that in the ninth generation, massive companies, like Nintendon't, Micro$oft etc., are going to attempt open source, by then es will be too late.

As far as I was aware, this generation stuff is just an invention of Wikipedia - I'd not seen it used before wikipedia.

I'm not convinced that the incumbent videogame console makers will be using open source OSes yet. Prior to this generation (any maybe prior to the old xbox too), consoles didn't really have an OS in the same way that Pandora does. Even this generation, while you can make the OS interrupt a game by pressing home/menu, I don't know whether there's a full preemptive kernel in there like the Pandora has. You can't press crtl-Z arbitrarily stop a game process and start it again later, and you can't run two games at the same time.

That said, as consoles start to do more things (like background downloading) it may make sense to use a real OS kernel on them. I'm still not convinced it'd be an open source one though.

I don't care much whether the OS is open-source. It's possible to run Linux on a device and have it still be a locked-down piece of shit, like the Tivo.
Something like the Pandora, which is open source AND openly programmable, is great, but I would probably settle for a closed-source but openly programmable device if I wasn't already waiting for the Pandora.

levi said:
As far as I was aware, this generation stuff is just an invention of Wikipedia - I'd not seen it used before wikipedia.

Heh I remember reading about the development of the Saturn and Playstation back in the days when Megadrive and SNES walked the earth. Back then they (Saturn/PSX) were simply referred to as 'next gen'.

I lost interest in games after that. I wonder how many times 'next gen' has been used since...

Last edited by a moderator:
Pleng said:
levi said:

Heh I remember reading about the development of the Saturn and Playstation back in the days when Megadrive and SNES walked the earth. Back then they (Saturn/PSX) were simply referred to as 'next gen'.

I lost interest in games after that. I wonder how many times 'next gen' has been used since...

More than you could possibly imagine. That phrase has been used on just about everything, from video games to vacuum cleaners. You name it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back