The First 8th Generation Console?

A_SN

Disclaimer : I know that the very concept of generation utterly irritates some people out there, and I'd like to most kindly invite them to not participate to this discussion.

It recently came to my realisation that technically the Pandora would be about a generation ahead of the handheld consoles which came out 4 years ago, namely the DS, the PSP and the GP2X, which are all unanimously recognized as 7th generation consoles.

So, considered its technical superiority (a CPU that can be clocked as high as 900 MHz which is almostish 3 times the PSP's and a screen resolution 3 times the PSP's) and the fact that it's coming it out 4 years after the 7th gen handhelds, does it make the Pandora an 8th generation console, and therefore, the first 8th gen console EVAR?

EDIT : Argh where did my poll go? :(

I don't know if it is accurate --- but I know how to make it a fact with a high degree of Truthiness. Start adding that stuff to Wikipedia. Wikipedia already has the video game consoles organized by "Generations" - so start an 8th Gen. and put Pandora in it. Case closed. It's a fact. I saw it on Wikipedia.

chad78 said:
I don't know if it is accurate --- but I know how to make it a fact with a high degree of Truthiness. Start adding that stuff to Wikipedia. Wikipedia already has the video game consoles organized by "Generations" - so start an 8th Gen. and put Pandora in it. Case closed. It's a fact. I saw it on Wikipedia.
Good idea :). But what did you see on Wikipedia?

Last edited by a moderator:
A_SN said:
This:

Pandora
Product family Pandora
Type Handheld game console / UMPC
Generation Eighth generation era
First available JP August, 2008
AUS August, 2008
NA August, 2008
EU August, 2008
CPU 600MHz ARM Cortex-A8 (32Bit) and
430MHz TMS320C64x+™ DSP Core, NEON & TRADE SIMD CoProcessor
Media SD Memory Cards Dual Slots, USB slots
System storage SD Storage, USB storage, 256 MB Internal
Connectivity Wi-Fi, LAN
Predecessor None

Hmmm, I just balk at calling it a next generation console when it's primary purpose will be the ability to play games from 2+ generations back . . .

PolloLoco said:
Hmmm, I just balk at calling it a next generation console when it's primary purpose will be the ability to play games from 2+ generations back . . .
Too late - I put it on Wikipedia. It is a fact, and cannot be changed. (Until some WikiNazi finds it and chages it back - like they've already done once on the History of Video Games page I edited.

chad78 said:
A_SN said:
This:

Pandora
Product family Pandora
Type Handheld game console / UMPC
Generation Eighth generation era
First available JP August, 2008
AUS August, 2008
NA August, 2008
EU August, 2008
CPU 600MHz ARM Cortex-A8 (32Bit) and
430MHz TMS320C64x+™ DSP Core, NEON & TRADE SIMD CoProcessor
Media SD Memory Cards Dual Slots, USB slots
System storage SD Storage, USB storage, 256 MB Internal
Connectivity Wi-Fi, LAN
Predecessor None

Interesting, that occured this afternoon, after my post here and my comments in talk pages on Wikipedia. Whoever did edits on the history of video games pages got it wrong tho. They put everything that happened in 2008 in the eighth gen. I fixed that, but the part about the Pandora is still a bit weak (and sound like it's been written by a German)

A_SN said:
Interesting, that occured this afternoon, after my post here and my comments in talk pages on Wikipedia. Whoever did edits on the history of video games pages got it wrong tho. They put everything that happened in 2008 in the eighth gen. I fixed that, but the part about the Pandora is still a bit weak (and sound like it's been written by a German)

It occurred when I put it there.

Thanks for fixing the Eighth Gen history page - I wondered who did that. Just be aware that Nazipedians have rolled it back once already. But I've got your latest version of the 2000s ready to copy and paste back in. :) WIKIWAR!

I copied that stuff about the Pandora from the Pandora Wiki, I think. So whoever wrote it might be German, IDK. :)

chad78 said:
A_SN said:

It occurred when I put it there.

Thanks for fixing the Eighth Gen history page - I wondered who did that. Just be aware that Nazipedians have rolled it back once already. But I've got your latest version of the 2000s ready to copy and paste back in. :) WIKIWAR!

I copied that stuff about the Pandora from the Pandora Wiki, I think. So whoever wrote it might be German, IDK. :)

lol someone reverted the deletion lol.

EDIT : God damnit STOP CHANGING THE DATES FOR THE 7TH GEN. Look at the comments in the history lol.

EDIT #2 : The 3rd comment is pretty good http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:History_...dora_console.3F

It's not enough to argue over a meaningless classification here, you had to start an edit war over it too?

Yes another "open source" console that has yet to come out (anybody remember the Phantom?) doesn't belong in the article. Wikipedia has clear policies on advertising, and frankly I'm surprised the entire Pandora article hasn't been put up for deletion yet.

Now you've got people looking for reasons to delete the legitimate Pandora entry. Congratulations on finding a way to move beyond "frivolous and unhelpful" and square into the realm of "actively detrimental".

well it is what it is And I don't think that is in the same realm as the psp or ds and I'm glad it isn't I think that the pandora is it's own entity because the principles and vision behind it are not about hardware that will sell millions of shovelware titles and that is the goal of sony and nintendo. I think the pandora will be a usefull tool for developement and for a community. So i think slapping a generation title on it seems kind of pointless.

Chip said:
It's not enough to argue over a meaningless classification here, you had to start an edit war over it too?
I didn't start a war - and no one else here did either. Someone deleted my first edits - and I undid that, and cleaned up the text - and A_SN cleaned it up some more. The people deleting our additions were starting an edit war. A war that neither I, nor anyone else here from what I can tell, continued - as of right now, the 8th Generation is not mentioned on the History page, and is only mentioned in the Stats box on the Pandora page.

Yes another "open source" console that has yet to come out (anybody remember the Phantom?) doesn't belong in the article. Wikipedia has clear policies on advertising, and frankly I'm surprised the entire Pandora article hasn't been put up for deletion yet.

That's the Nazipedians for you. They are assholes.

Now you've got people looking for reasons to delete the legitimate Pandora entry. Congratulations on finding a way to move beyond "frivolous and unhelpful" and square into the realm of "actively detrimental".

Calm down, Chip! There is no talk on the Pandora page of deletion. That's just one blowhard's dumbass comment. The Pandora article is fine. There are not even any links to the Pandora article on the page in question anymore. Don't get your panties in a wad.

And - to prove that this "frivolous and unhelpful" activity was NEITHER - if it weren't for this thread - I wouldn't have bothered editing the Pandora page. I added sources and the Video Game Console data box - with as much info as I could find.

And, one more thing... Before you blow a gasket about the "this article needs more sources" thing being a cause for alarm - it's been there since February, and has not a damn thing to do with today's non-war.

However, adding more sources would always be a good thing.

chad78 said:
Maybe this is retarded, but I would like to invoke Godwin's Law.

In order to give this post real substance, I believe that the points raised by that person on the discussion page were well thought out and legitimate. It can't really be an eighth generation console before there's a console on the market.
That said, the fact that it will be an eighth generation console is pretty cool. It's a rather arbitrary thing, but being first, even for something as arbitrary as console generations, is often nice.

TJSomething said:
chad78 said:
Maybe this is retarded, but I would like to invoke Godwin's Law.

In order to give this post real substance, I believe that the points raised by that person on the discussion page were well thought out and legitimate. It can't really be an eighth generation console before there's a console on the market.
That said, the fact that it will be an eighth generation console is pretty cool. It's a rather arbitrary thing, but being first, even for something as arbitrary as console generations, is often nice.

Agreed :) craigix might want to use that for PR shit.

I've always seen generations of handheld consoles as ones which have commercial games released for them, which is why UMPCs don't count.

Nova said:
I've always seen generations of handheld consoles as ones which have commercial games released for them, which is why UMPCs don't count.
The gp2x had some commercial games, and someone said that the people who made Payback might port it to the Pandora. So the Pandora will probably have commercial games.

Nonis said:
Nova said:
The gp2x had some commercial games, and someone said that the people who made Payback might port it to the Pandora. So the Pandora will probably have commercial games.

Well it had 2 games released on SD card!
Payback may be ported to the Pandora but as with the GP2X version they would have to be financed to do it, simply because the unit numbers wouldn't be enough to sell enough copies to pay peoples wages, so its upto craigx or whoever paid for it last time! And only that will happen/possibly happen if/when sales of Pandora put enough money in the kitty to start thinking about such things!

Back