I Just Bought A Amiga 600

(naw)mcx

Rotary Wombat
Website
www.godlikemcx.deviantart.com
I'm going to guess you are the best guys to ask.

What should I do with it?

Any apps, games, things like that to try?

I heard about a Mac emu, any chance of running that on a stock Amiga 600?

(and if any one knows how to start from scratch on it, that would be nice!)

i had an amiga 600 gave me many hours of fun back in the day.

Theres loads of games that ran on it some of the best imo were cannon fodder, chuck rock 1/2, monkey island, chaos engine and sensible soccer. There was loads of apps like music trackers aswell as all the usual stuff like paint etc.

i never ran mac os on it using a emulator i heard it could be done but maybe some other amiga nut on here can help.

Mutilator said:
i had an amiga 600 gave me many hours of fun back in the day.

Theres loads of games that ran on it some of the best imo were cannon fodder, chuck rock 1/2, monkey island, chaos engine and sensible soccer. There was loads of apps like music trackers aswell as all the usual stuff like paint etc.

i never ran mac os on it using a emulator i heard it could be done but maybe some other amiga nut on here can help.
Well, I know what to acquire then ;)

I do like the sound of an amiga tracker though!

I have deluxe paint, it's the shit :p

Quickbase too :D

(say If acquired some ROMs for this, would I just have to put them on Floppys, and put them in?)

Last edited by a moderator:
They wouldn't be ROMs because the Amiga games didn't run on cartridges :p

You mean disk images, and it's easier said than done to transfer them over. The basic problem is that the basic PC floppy drive can't write Amiga disks, so you have to transfer them over to the Amiga and then use that to write the disks.

Do yourself a bit of a favour and look for a <4gb laptop 2.5" HDD, the Amiga 600 (and 1200) can accept those and format them as you like, and then look up some WHDLoad game collections. You'll be able to play bugfixed versions of classic games directly from Workbench!

Retroid said:
They wouldn't be ROMs because the Amiga games didn't run on cartridges :p

You mean disk images, and it's easier said than done to transfer them over. The basic problem is that the basic PC floppy drive can't write Amiga disks, so you have to transfer them over to the Amiga and then use that to write the disks.

Do yourself a bit of a favour and look for a <4gb laptop 2.5" HDD, the Amiga 600 (and 1200) can accept those and format them as you like, and then look up some WHDLoad game collections. You'll be able to play bugfixed versions of classic games directly from Workbench!
Has to be less the 4?

Dang!

But I like the sound of this!

(and almost said images, but I chose to say ROM for some reason, I had a reason in my head at the time, it's gone now :D)

Another way is to buy a compact flash adapter on ebay and use a compact flash
card as the hard drive. It works great and is really fast, silent and easier to get hold
of than a really tiny HD.

plupp said:
Another way is to buy a compact flash adapter on ebay and use a compact flash
card as the hard drive. It works great and is really fast, silent and easier to get hold
of than a really tiny HD.
Haha, I'm so going to pimp this out.

Any one got some chrome to spare?

Some neons, any one?

amiga used MFD-2DD 3.5" disks didnt it? the hard drive/flash adapter would prob be the best option its ok for me as i got all the disks sitting in a box somewhere

Good old Amiga times!

The Mac emu is running pretty well. Forgot it's name, I think it was called "shapeshifter" iirc, but I could be wrong. However, it only emulates an 68k Mac, which isn't of much use.

There's also a PC emulator, which emulates a 286 machine running DOS :D

Indeed I think for transferring files the compact flash solution is the best. Although the Amiga drive can read 720k/1.44M PC-formatted floppies. IIRC, you had to make a special mountfile for the PC-format drive. But that doesn't handle protection schemes and trackloaders.

Back