I have DRM working in Chromium :)

Eight Bit

Hardcore Member
Website
Visit site
I had been trying to get this working for a couple hours and finally I found something, someone made, for the pi4 that just works on a Pyra too :)

Code:
curl -fsSL https://pi.vpetkov.net -o ventz-media-pi
sh ventz-media-pi

Reboot and done,
Netflix seems a bit to far fetched for now, probably because of the gfx driver but I'm happily playing Spotify on my Pyra right now :)

Atleast... I hope it's that solution because I tried a whole lot of failed other things before the reboot without rebooting :oops: pls report if it does not work for you. :D

The title made me chuckle :D but yeah, this thing is required for most streaming services with subscription. (Unless you go to the underground)

I'm pretty sure we already had some kind of widevine package years ago for the Pandora. IIRC it was just some blobs extracted from Chrome OS or something like that?

HHHHHHHHHHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU Digital Restrictions Mismanagement!
donkey-kong-amazed.gif

Though I don't like DRM itself, I like being able to see and- listen to the content provided to me through the subscriptions that I pay for on a device that I like to be all-round
So yeah, I'm happy I got it to work
That logic only applies if you also like to pay for content that you can only watch and listen to by subjecting yourself to the whims of a company which strives to deny you your freedom.

Well it would be nice If you can use DRM Stuff on the Pyra, Apple Music, Prime Video, Netflix Disney +, if this works..
so I need the chromium browser and put the script where?

@λ the β-Redex Reducer
oh please... just let me happily listen to spotify and spare me the lectures...
Post automatically merged:

Well it would be nice If you can use DRM Stuff on the Pyra, Apple Music, Prime Video, Netflix Disney +, if this works..
so I need the chromium browser and put the script where?
just execute the lines in the first post.. you might have to install curl first

Last edited:
In my experience, wget is more commonly installed in debian systems, and should be capable of doing what you need. If I'm grokking that curl line correctly, the options -fs and -S are only there to pretty up the output, and -L tells curl to follow redirects, which IIRC wget does by default.

spare me the lectures...

Listen, I try to respect everyone's opinions and oddities and I don't diss anyone ever, I would appreciate it if I'm treated the same so please keep opinions about what I do with my Pyra and my subscriptions to yourself.
I thought some would benefit from my findings in my quest to get spotify playing but apparently it is not appreciated

I have been with this community for 13 years and it had always been friendly but this trolling is ... so sad...

Bah!

I support open-source. But I also understand it isn't a viable solution yet for content on things like streaming services.
As at the moment there isn't really an alternative to hardware (Pyra is nice, but the CPU isn't open-source for example. Even if the fab making it isn't open-source) or services (netflix, etc).
So on software level you could make a choice: linux instead of non open-source OS, Firefox instead of Chrome, LibreOffice instead of MS-Office, etc.
For hardware you can opt for friendlier platforms, like Pyra or an open-source supporting laptop instead of a regular one.
But for services it's harder. For games I can use GOG. For movies it's either getting them on the high seas (which I don't do) or use some open-source supporting service like Netflix, but they do use DRM.
I actually don't know why they use DRM, sure you can probably copy it easier but people can do that anyway if they want to. Probably to show they are fighting piracy.

I do like solutions like Nextcloud, but you would need to get the content somewhere. If doing that legally it can be expensive. But personally I wouldn't mind, when I was a kid I had a tape recording and that's it, I didn't really listen to radio.

• Wow
Reactions: rSl
Back