I Hate The F-200 D Pad !

Reminds me people that were complaining about the F100 joystick one or two years ago. Does it ever occur to you that you may just be a poor gamer, and that it may not be pad or stick fault ;)

Not that I say the F100 joystick was any good. Don't know about the F200 joypad either. But you must understand it is not possible to have a unique control system that fits *every* kind of games. So in some cases you will have to adapt. For fighting games, an arcade stick is better than a joypad. Platform games are easier with a joypad. FPS with a mouse. Some games require dedicated game controls. You will have to get used to it. So please stop complain about the pad, whether it is a "real" d-pad or not, thanks :)

Hah, I knew it was gonna be an easy fix, but DAMN that's easy. :D

You do know that just spinning your thumb around in a circle all the time is not that great a move for a fighting game? Maybe that's why you were doing so badly ;).

Deed said:
Reminds me people that were complaining about the F100 joystick one or two years ago. Does it ever occur to you that you may just be a poor gamer, and that it may not be pad or stick fault ;)

Not that I say the F100 joystick was any good. Don't know about the F200 joypad either. But you must understand it is not possible to have a unique control system that fits *every* kind of games. So in some cases you will have to adapt. For fighting games, an arcade stick is better than a joypad. Platform games are easier with a joypad. FPS with a mouse. Some games require dedicated game controls. You will have to get used to it. So please stop complain about the pad, whether it is a "real" d-pad or not, thanks :)

i think the main problem with the f200 pad is that its hard to slide over the buttons to do a sweeping move, this "mod" fixes that problem to some extent. (imo)

Last edited by a moderator:
Samba Pa Ti said:
i think the main problem with the f200 pad is that its hard to slide over the buttons to do a sweeping move, this "mod" fixes that problem to some extent. (imo)
Well to be honest I didn't watch the video, I just reacted to the thread title :p

Orkie said:
You do know that just spinning your thumb around in a circle all the time is not that great a move for a fighting game? Maybe that's why you were doing so badly ;).
It is if your Zangief and you want to perform his Spinning Piledriver !

What emulator are you running?
Retro Gamer said:
Orkie said:

Wow! I actually really like the F-200's D-Pad, but I'd buy one of those mod covers (if they were for sale -- and not too expensive). I can see how sometimes it would be useful in game play. :)

narmak said:
What emulator are you running?
Retro Gamer said:
Orkie said:
You do know that just spinning your thumb around in a circle all the time is not that great a move for a fighting game? Maybe that's why you were doing so badly ;) .

Looked like MAME with some fancy front end...

The pad is a PSP one.

It´s a pad and sticks set for PSP, cheap and easy :)

Retro Gamer said:
Orkie said:

Well - personally I like it - the fact that there are no dead zones pretty much does it for me, I'm just not a stick player really, that said I do find the special moves on fighting games hard work (apart from the more simple moves of somthing like teken etc). OTOH at the moment I am playing through SCUMMVM games and a good few SNES titles I missed the first time but may have dabled with on other platforms and so far it seems to do the job well.

Over all I am glad I waited for the F200!

Having recently received my F-200, for some bizarre reason I wanted to mod my F-100 to DaveC's D-PAD more than ever!

I had bought a kit from him a year ago when he first announced them. But i never installed back then, worried that my de-solder skills were not up to scratch.

Anyway, I bought the solder sucker and read the instructions and carefully modded my GP2X - it took 4 hours over the course of 2 days. There was a delay as three of the legs are REALLY firmly mounted in the PCB.

The end result is marvelous! I can't believe how good the mod is!

Having used my F-200 for all of 5 minutes so far, I can't really say how it compares to the D-PAD mod. Looking forward to finding out but it didn't seem THAT bad to me.

The stick is perfect. The best kind of controls are controls you dont even notice. I never even recognize the stick. The stick is fine for older systems and replicates atari, neo geo, arcade, neo geo pocket joysticks perfectly.

The new dpad works, but it will feel weird playing joystick consoles with it. I think the f100 stick has more motions of control, but the dpad has less.

Dont really see how the 200 kicks the 100 in the balls. Better battery life would have made the new system a must. Too Bad :eek:

well if you need a mod wait for davec's dpad mod for f200

and yea using a d-pad can be a bit on the wierd side since its more about accuracy than precision on a joystick.

benny32 said:
Dont really see how the 200 kicks the 100 in the balls. Better battery life would have made the new system a must. Too Bad :eek:
I don't it was GPH's plan to "kick" the F-100 "in the balls". The F-200 is a minor upgrade, similar to what Nintendo has done with every one of it's handhelds since the original GameBoy was released. I'm sure GPH does not expect every F-100 owner to run out and buy the F-200 as well (I'm sure they'd LIKE you to, but that's another story :lol: ). Many times these "mini-upgrades" are produced more as an attempt to attract new buyers who have never owned the system before. If I hadn't been able to sell my MK2 on eBay (making enough to cover the cost of the F-200), I would not have purchased the F-200 at all. Believe me, I LOVE my F-200 and I'm totally glad I basically traded my MK2 to get it, but I wouldn't have paid an extra $169 just to have the F-100 AND F-200. Oh well, it doesn't matter -- even if the F-200 was more power efficient and had more battery life, people would still find SOMETHING to complain about.

*shrugs* <_<

EDIT: And don't think this is just limited to GP2X. No matter HOW freakin' sweet The Craiginator is, just wait: these boards will be full of users kvetching about this, that, and the other after it's released. Mark my words. It's just the nature of the beast, I suppose...

This mod is exactly what I needed. I already purcashsed the d-pads off ebay.

The problem I have with the f200 d-pad is doing fireball and dragon punch motion. I tend to hit the corner of the d-pad and therefore can't finish the motion. Now the funny thing is I can do fireballs and dragon punch when my characters faces left but not right. D-pads need to be one piece so I hope craigix handheld has that.

Back