GP32 I Got Yeti3d To Compile!

Blah

Wanna Be Programmer
Website
Visit site
Anyway, here's how you do it (on wintel pc's atleast):

Get yourself a copy of DevkitARM
and set it up somewhere.

Get MAKE.EXE (see zip attachment below), and put it in your DevkitARM/bin folder.

Get Yeti GPL GP32 port SDK and sourcecode and
put the code folder in somewhere where your compiler can see it (I put the devkitarm folder in c:\devkitpro and the code folder in c:\devkitpro).

Put the gamepark libs in your devkitARM\lib\gcc\arm-elf\3.4.4 and the gamepark
includes in your devkitARM\include folder.

Get my copy of gp32_gpsdk_crt0.o in the attached zip and put it in the devkitarm/arm-elf/lib folder.

Get my makefile and batch in the attached zip and put in the code folder.
Modify the GP32PATH in your makefile to match your folder.

Run the batch, and enjoy!

Now somebody please do something with this!! I will work on porting it to SDL for now.

edit:
Also, its easy to make this work for the Tech32 demo sourcecode as well.

I will work on porting it to SDL for now.
An SDL version already exists at http://www.storm-studios.net/onethirty8/Yetistuff.html
Don't know if thats the latest port around (there could well be others).

Heh, didn't see that :), even though I was on that site. Arrgh, 3.5 megs, that sucks, I'm on crappy phone lines with 33.6k dial-up max
icon8.gif

Anyway, right now it compiles to less than 1/2 its original size at 92k due to updates in GCC. Also, I was able to quickly replace the builtin memcpy and memset routines with the ARM ASM optimized version for a little speed increase.
Also, I noticed that the blitting routine didn't use DMA, that could speed it up a bit, and also it runs at 66mhz by default, and ofcourse 133mhz or even maybe 166mhz will give a big speed boost.

Last edited by a moderator:
Allright, I've downloaded it. If Google can be trusted, its the latest version. Looks like they've got GL and software code. But as far as I can tell, it doesn't have an MD2 renderer, oh well, I will be able to add in Orion's probably. I wonder how optimized Orion's MD2 renderer is...it looked pretty good but then again it was only rendering one model.

Yeah, iirc in the GPL version of Yeti, there isn't any MD2 support built in. Still, it's conceivable that it could get worked on to the level where there would be - possibly alongside other things the commercial version has (i.e. bendy walls, more lighting options... and I think some other stuff).

Personally, I think the most useful thing anyone could do with Yeti would be to essentially write a game creation kit based around it that could output an executable for a given console, rather than, as there currently is, a map editor that outputs a C file that's only useful if you know how to code.

The *second* most useful thing that could be done would be a mod-converter (I imagine Doom-->Yeti would probably be the most straightforward, seeing as they suffer from the same "can't go under it if you can go over it" problem, although in a well designed game, you wouldn't realise that really). The reason why? Well, it'd mean you could use the Doom/Quake/Quake2/Duke3D/Whatever editors that you were already familiar with to produce a game/mod - and there are quite a few people who are familiar with those, and therefore might conceivably pick up a project on them where they wouldn't on a brand new system.

Granted, it begs the question why use Yeti when you might as well run it on the original engine. But to that, I'd point towards making something in whatever, and then tweaking it in the Yeti editor to give you graphical enhancements... not to mention the simple fact of intensely smooth speed in Yeti, where Quake or Q2 even are a LOT slower at the best of times.

However, seeing as I can't code (except to save my life, and then only really simple things), I won't suggest that anyone ought to do these. They'd just be extremely cool imo if they were done :)

I did a modified version of yeti last year (http://www.geocities.com/rtb7/files/gp32/ADIC2K4.zip) with some extra features : MD2s like animations and 256 colors textures.

I can share my sources too if someone is interrested.
I just recompiled it with devkitarm_r17 and it still works fine.

Thor

I used the SDL-port (MacOS) to make a version that runs on the gp2x, thanks to woogal. you can get it here: Yeti 3D SDL gp2x

the bad things with yeti3d are, that it is very BAD documented. No info how the map structure etc. is. AFAIK in model.c of the GPL'd version are fucntions for MD2 but I never got around to use it. There are a lot of things to do (because so much is hard coded into it) to make it accessible to a broader audience ... I have zero to no knowlegde about 3d graphics, I just can't do that.

I did a modified version of yeti last year (http://www.geocities.com/rtb7/files/gp32/ADIC2K4.zip) with some extra features : MD2s like animations and 256 colors textures.

Thor

YES, PLEASE!

rtb7 do a really great job on Yeti GPL.

I think it's the only really people that was looking my code and the yeti code and show that polygonal object could be done in yeti gpl.

Great work rtb7 ;)

Oh yeah, I almost forgot...

That version of make requires the cygwin dlls in the bin folder (included in this zip).

You also need to put the old version of gpstart.o in your devkitarm folder (also included).

...or else you'll get big fat compiler errors. :)

Ok, I've now compiled the win32 SDL version on my PC. Now I can get to the dirty work of shoehorning that into DevkitARM and also perhaps integrating the code better with SDL. SDL is really only being used as a framebuffer blitter and file I/O system at the moment, which is sort of unacceptable.

Arrgh... I'm compiling on a 8 year old P1-233mmx. It takes forever. Ah well, atleast I can compile it with MMX optimizations and have it run at a good 640x480 without using my 3D card.

I've got the SDL version working now! And I've optimized the code a little more.

So, for you coders here, I have attached a patch to the SDL port of Yeti3D.

And for everyone else, here is the SDL demo, now on your GP32!

Thunderz, are yous till in contact with the original author of yeti3d? as it seems pretty much dead now, maybe theres a chance to open up the pro version?

Thunderz, are yous till in contact with the original author of yeti3d? as it seems pretty much dead now, maybe theres a chance to open up the pro version?
AFAIk no one has contact to Derek Evans and in respect to Derek's last decisions (I don't know what exactly, just this has been told to me) the code remains closed.

Thor

YES, PLEASE!

Yeti modified sources :

http://www.geocities.com/rtb7/files/gp32/adic2k4_src.zip

using Mirko SDK and devkitarm_r17

Do you need the modified editor too ?
The java tools (MD2 transformation and Texture set editor) ?

Thor

Yes actully i don't see anymore dereck since long month.

So the base code of yeti isn't my code so i think it better for now to respect the last opinion of dereck, so actully the yeti pro + my code and other stuff will be close :( sorry :(

Makes a decent ammount of sense... if you do see him again (cross fingers), it might be worth bringing it up with him, though. Maybe. At least, for non-commercial purposes, that is (commercial games I think its only fair that he charges for the full version, especially given just how impressive the engine really is).

Back